THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 1 Discussion Only

08-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #221
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black M235i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch F. Fletch View Post
It is not a dynojet... Unfortunately, there's not one that's reasonably close by... Well, there is... But by their own admission, it has issues.

So, for now Dynopack.. At least it will rule out tire slippage.
In order for the results to mean anything, you would need to do baseline before the install. Hopefully you've planned that already. Otherwise, outright numbers from a tuned car (especially from a DynaPack) will provide no meaningful info and just confuse more people.
So, it won't tell me RWP & RWTQ,
along with AFR?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #222
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Quote:
It is not a dynojet... Unfortunately, there's not one that's reasonably close by... Well, there is... But by their own admission, it has issues.

So, for now Dynopack.. At least it will rule out tire slippage.
In order for the results to mean anything, you would need to do baseline before the install. Hopefully you've planned that already. Otherwise, outright numbers from a tuned car (especially from a DynaPack) will provide no meaningful info and just confuse more people.
So, it won't tell me what HP & TQ are at the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #223
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

It will...but without a baseline the numbers don't mean much.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #224
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybertronic
It will...but without a baseline the numbers don't mean much.
So, if I wanna know what my car is doing right now... With Dinan Stage 1 and MPE...

It will answer that question.

I'm not concerned with what it was doing... That's in the past.

There have been plenty of baselines done already...

That gets me a ballpark...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #225
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I took both the BMS and the Dinan charts and overlayed them in Photoshop...very similar power curves, the BMS just makes more power.

I like this. Thank you.

Another thing that peak numbers don't show (to run with the argument that some used about how "peak numbers don't matter, it's about area under the curve" in an attempt justify low results)...the BMS tuned car is making a solid 20+ RWHP more than the Dinan from about 3800 RPM to almost 6000, and 30+ WTQ more in the midrange. That's a difference you can feel. Those would be impressive gains on a stock car from a $379 part, but it's much more so when you consider these are gains on top of a car already with a $2000 tune.

Not surprised that the top-end from 6000-7000 RPM for both are similar due to a laughably small turbo. That's by far the weakest point of the engine. If these cars were able to hold even 250 RWTQ to redline instead of falling all the way to 210, the way it would have a significant effect on the HP curve with an equally significant improvement in acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #226
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

It is pretty drastic the power difference. I can only assume that the Dinan makes considerably less power because they didn't dial up the boost as much as BMS did, they are playing it safer, which I guess you can't blame them since they are also offering a warranty, they don't want things to start going wrong (not that they would, but probably better safe than sorry mentality).

BMS should put out a Stage1 Lite version that matches Dinan's output and sell it for 10% of the Dinan plug-in.
I'd probably actually jump on that.
      08-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #227
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I like this. Thank you.

Another thing that peak numbers don't show (to run with the argument that some used about how "peak numbers don't matter, it's about area under the curve" in an attempt justify low results)...the BMS tuned car is making a solid 20+ RWHP more than the Dinan from about 3800 RPM to almost 6000, and 30+ WTQ more in the midrange. That's a difference you can feel. Those would be impressive gains on a stock car from a $379 part, but it's much more so when you consider these are gains on top of a car already with a $2000 tune.
Clearly the data shows that BMS had a higher peak and was capable of sustaining that advantage. It was the curve I was more interested in seeing. For example if dinan had a blip peak HP at 2500rpm over BMS and then fell off and BMS dominated it throughout the rest of the pull, I could care less that dinan made the higher number or vice versa. Just waiting to see the data not justify low numbers.

The overlay was very cool. Too bad the stock plus intake pull was a slightly different scale, that overlay would have been interesting.

It would still be interesting to see what real world gains are to be had on a bone stock car.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #228
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

Quote:
So, if I wanna know what my car is doing right now... With Dinan Stage 1 and MPE...

It will answer that question.

I'm not concerned with what it was doing... That's in the past.

There have been plenty of baselines done already...

That gets me a ballpark...
You don't get it... not all cars are the same. Its the difference between baseline and current that matters, not a single run number.
But whatever makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #229
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

I have the actual Dynojet files and can put up one sheet with Base, BMS, and Dinan. Give me a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #230
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

I have the actual Dynojet files and can put up one sheet with Base, BMS, and Dinan. Give me a few hours.

Until then, here is the Baseline with aFe Intake to refresh peoples memory.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #231
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep

No. You don't get it, or you didn't read and absorb each word.

I said (for me) I'm looking for what the car is doing right now.

End of story.

The dyno tomorrow, without a baseline will tell me what the car is doing RIGHT NOW.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #232
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Makes sense to me, you want to know how much power your car is making, not how much it gained. The dyno tomorrow will tell you that. Looking forward to the results.
      08-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #233
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
i was going to say the same thing. how easy is it to turn off or unplug dinan to get base figures? if you can't get base figures dont waste your money on the dyno
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #234
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
No. You don't get it, or you didn't read and absorb each word.

I said (for me) I'm looking for what the car is doing right now.

End of story.

The dyno tomorrow, without a baseline will tell me what the car is doing RIGHT NOW.
i dont think you're getting it. even if you take it to the dyno right now and get 330whp, on another dyno you'll get different results. i think it'd be best to find another dynojet and get results we can actually compare with others.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #235
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Is the dynojet more accurate then a Dynopack?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #236
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I'm not even sure why anyone is remotely interested to begin with. This unit is the Ravadam Patel of leads - weak.

But seriously... waste of money to dyno without before (baseline). If the tune numbers end up looking low, you won't know if that's just how your engine responds or if the unit is effed up.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #237
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I'm not even sure why anyone is remotely interested to begin with. This unit is the Ravadam Patel of leads - weak.

But seriously... waste of money to dyno without before (baseline). If the tune numbers end up looking low, you won't know if that's just how your engine responds or if the unit is effed up.
Ok. just so I learn, since I'm new to the dyno lifestyle.

In your opinion how much, specifically, can one M235i engine vary from another M235i engine.

1%, 2% - 10%?

With all other variables being the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #238
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:

In your opinion how much, specifically, can one M235i engine vary from another M235i engine.

1%, 2% - 10%?

My point was to the fact that you have nothing to know what YOUR car was doing before the dyno. You stick a new part on your car that modifies all kinds of ECU settings and it doesn't feel like everything is hooking up right, you have no way to know if the unit is defective, your engine spec'd low to begin with or what. Even if the difference between engines is 0, just to make sure everything is doing what it's supposed to, you'd want to do a before and after. Going off what BMW, Dinan or some other random person online says is not the way to judge.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #239
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

all the dynos are different... so unless you can have one before and after it's pretty much useless....

the only thing you can measure if the difference between 2 runs on the same dyno with as similar conditions as possible,

so then if you make X on run 1 and X + 30 on run 2 your improvement was 30hp measured on that dyno...

So if you made 300hp on run1 and 330hp on run 2 you mod gave you 10% more hp...
so if BMW says car has 325hp stock at the crack that would give you 358 as 10% gain

if you just do one run after the mode your number is usless cause there is nothing comparable to compare against to
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #240
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Quote:

1%, 2% - 10%?

There's been a pretty big swing in stock figures that we've seen on here, for example in this post the stock (+intake) was 295HP/330TQ while someone else in another post put down 307HP/322TQ...pretty big difference.

Say you had the car that put down 295HP stock, and then added the Dinan and it made 325HP, you'd probably be happy. But if your car was the one making 307HP to start and then only made 325HP, not so much. That's why it's important to measure the same car.

Now if you don't really care what the gain was, but just what your car is making now, then it doesn't really matter. Personally I'd like to know if the money spent was worth it, but not every one is that anal about it.

Also to add, your using a dyno that no one else has, so you really can't compare your results, stock or otherwise, to theirs.
      08-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #241
Fletch F. Fletch
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok.

Still, a lot of people say hold off till I find a dynojet...

No one has stepped up saying it is more accurate then another type, with specific reasons, backed up as to why.

If there are none. Why should I not believe that the Dynopack is the more accurate one?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #242
snodgrass23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB m235i

Quote:
Is the dynojet more accurate then a Dynopack?
It's not that one is more accurate than the other, just that they'll read differently. So, you can't compare what you get on the dynopack to these other charts that were done on a dynojet. In general, dynopacks will usually read slightly higher numbers.
Appreciate 0