R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-25-2024, 11:02 AM   #1
import11
Rep
Drives: 2018 Austin Yellow M3 6MT

Air Bubbles During Power Brake Bleed

I was doing a brake bleed with a Motive Power Bleeder and couldn't get the fittings to be totally airtight. I accidentally let the bleeder run out of fluid and small air bubbles were coming out of the line during the front right bleed (Rear brakes finished fine). The reservoir did not run out of fluid. I closed the nipple, refilled the power bleeder, and finished the front brakes with no air bubbles.

The pedal felt nice and stiff after done. I was just reading about introducing air into the ABS system and doing a DSC bleed. If the reservoir didn't run dry do I still need to take it into to have a shop do the DSC bleed using ISTA?

Last edited by import11; 04-25-2024 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Even with the motive bleeder empty, as long as your brake fluid reservoir is not empty ( or low to whatever point makes sense ) its not pushing air into the system. its just a little bit more pressurized air in the reservoir above the fluid. I read of a few people noticing air being pulled into the hose at the caliper from a suction/siphon effect from the draining tube if the collection bottle was too low. Could it maybe have been that?
Appreciate 0