BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

06-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #23
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6
the X5M wins hands down for exterior design- Porsche as usual takes a perfectly good design and they f it up on the LCI which they clearly did here.

However....

The quality of the Porsche interior- however dated, is undeniable.

So perhaps a better question for all you Bimmer lovers out there is this-

How much would the X5M be if it used the exact same quality materials on the interior (and updated some too) as the Cayenne?

I think the price diff would drop by 50%.........

Still, lol I would take a RR Sport S/C over all this.......

For England!
You mean for India!
      06-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #24
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
Luckily, most of the world isn't concerned with riding sand dunes through the UAE. If that is your sole concern, there are much better options than either of these vehicles. Salty indeed.
Salty? I could trade in my optioned turbo and get a brand new X5 ///M without even paying a dime extra. But would I? No. The Cayenne is a better vehicle and it costs what it is worth and if anyone here is fooling themselves into thinking the X5 can compete with a Porsche then I'm sorry but even the Hellcat guys think the same thing when it comes to an M5. It does "everything" the same or better for much less $$$. By your logic, all X5 ///M owners should start buying Jeep SRT's.

As for offroading, I know there's better choices out there in the market and that is why I have a Nissan Patrol. Just because my Cayenne doesn't go offroad everyday doesn't mean that it should be a softroading crossover pretending to be an SUV like the X5 ///M. And if you never intend on going offroad why not just buy an ///M5?

Anyway comparing an X5 ///M to a Cayenne turbo/turbo S is like comparing a Jeep Cherokee SRT to an X5 ///M. You get what you can then convince yourself that it is somewhat better than the higher priced options because it can do 0-60 faster and more cheaply.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #25
michal12
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Pricing

That taxation is crazy. Quater million dollar truck anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #26
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12
That taxation is crazy. Quater million dollar truck anyone?
Currently one U.S. Dollar equals roughly 1.30 Australian dollars. That still makes these vehicles super expensive.

Ouch...

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
the X5M wins hands down for exterior design- Porsche as usual takes a perfectly good design and they f it up on the LCI which they clearly did here.

However....

How much would the X5M be if it used the exact same quality materials on the interior (and updated some too) as the Cayenne?

For England!
I'd argue that choosing black as the interior choice really dulls it down. Between Aragon and Sakhir, I think the F85/6 has one of the nicest interiors of the entire BMW lineup. It's stunning.

I think Melbourne Red might be my new favorite color for the X5M now. It really suits it.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #28
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
Luckily, most of the world isn't concerned with riding sand dunes through the UAE. If that is your sole concern, there are much better options than either of these vehicles. Salty indeed.
Salty? I could trade in my optioned turbo and get a brand new X5 ///M without even paying a dime extra. But would I? No. The Cayenne is a better vehicle and it costs what it is worth and if anyone here is fooling themselves into thinking the X5 can compete with a Porsche then I'm sorry but even the Hellcat guys think the same thing when it comes to an M5. It does "everything" the same or better for much less $$$. By your logic, all X5 ///M owners should start buying Jeep SRT's.

As for offroading, I know there's better choices out there in the market and that is why I have a Nissan Patrol. Just because my Cayenne doesn't go offroad everyday doesn't mean that it should be a softroading crossover pretending to be an SUV like the X5 ///M. And if you never intend on going offroad why not just buy an ///M5?

Anyway comparing an X5 ///M to a Cayenne turbo/turbo S is like comparing a Jeep Cherokee SRT to an X5 ///M. You get what you can then convince yourself that it is somewhat better than the higher priced options because it can do 0-60 faster and more cheaply.
I think you are being myopic. You are making generalizations that don't seem to apply across the globe.

In the U.S. The turbo starts at 113,000, the X5M starts at about 100,000. The Jeep SRT can be had for X5D money (lightly optioned) and the Hellcat can be had for M235i money (M5 is almost double that).

In case my American friends are not sure what a Nissan Patrol is, it's an Infiniti Q80

In the U.S. The guys buying the X5M over the Turbo aren't exactly the value shoppers you seem to be alluding to with your hellcat/SRT analogy.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #29
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Cayenne Turbo easily the better car inside by a country mile, and outside it flows much better. The quality, Porsche reigns supreme over BMW by a long way. Performance and handling are all Cayenne Turbo/S as well. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #30
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Cayenne Turbo easily the better car inside by a country mile, and outside it flows much better. The quality, Porsche reigns supreme over BMW by a long way. Performance and handling are all Cayenne Turbo/S as well. You get what you pay for.
Gonna have to agree with with the Porsche guys... Price aside..Drive an X5M and a Cayenne turbo back to back and the difference would be apparent..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #31
CassieL
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I drove the x5m and cayenne turbo back to back and didn't find the difference apparent. Well, the differences were apparent but I wouldn't say that one was obviously BETTER. Certain aspects of each stood out but the drives were eerily similar in terms of ride, acceleration, and steering feel. I just preferred the user interface and cargo space of the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #32
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Time for a make over on the Porsche looking dated.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #33
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Cayenne side profile looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #34
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Visually from the extrerior the Turbo looks dated. Maybe only the GTS could compete with the X5/X6M "visually". I like the interior of the cayenne though..
But BMW is way better overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #35
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Bmw must have the best exterior red colors in the market!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #36
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post

just traded in my 2013 turbo s for an x6 m september build. The new x5/6 m is far superior in every aspect expext maybee steering feel and ratio. the cayenne interieur looks dated to me, the nav screen to small. Gear ratio in the x mutch better ( disleked the nerveus automode in the cayenne from beginning). I like mutch more the wider powerband of the x than of the cayenne turbo S. the engine feels more powerfull in the x
i test drove befor ordering the x m aswell the facelifted 2015 cayenne, but changes are minor to my 2013.
and by the way even my turbo s was not a free trade into the x6m as you qoute for your normal cayenne turbo...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #37
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Wow someone is bitter. The X5M to Jeep SRT is not a good analogy as there is a major gap in quality, that being said I love the Jeep but it's not a luxury suv. X5M to Porsche the quality is very similar. Unfortunately for the competition the X5M is very well priced for what you get in comparison. To be honest the Cayenne crossed my mind but when I went to test drive and view the car for purchasing I was put off by the lack of body styling and the weird layout of the overcrowded interior. The navigation screen location and design looked like something from the early 2000 X5. Overall the design of the exterior was uninspired and bland meanwhile the interior is very tacky and dated. It was truly an easy decision. The X5M also out performs so I'm not sure why anyone would buy the Cayenne unless no homework was done. Who buys a BMW or Porsche to go offroading ?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #38
M3 Chris
Private
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, X7 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post

I'm with you 110%.

I have a 997.2 Turbo, F80 M3, and my F15 X5D M-Sport.
Money not an issue Porsche is better in every way. If it wasn't it wouldn't be a Porsche. I do love my BMW's for what they are but Porsche is something most BMW owner's move up to.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #39
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Chris View Post
I'm with you 110%.

Money not an issue Porsche is better in every way. If it wasn't it wouldn't be a Porsche. I do love my BMW's for what they are but Porsche is something most BMW owner's move up to.
Recent Porsches are indeed terrific, but boy I think the infotainment/electronics in the x5 m beats the PCM by an awful lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #40
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Chris View Post
I'm with you 110%.

disagree, coming from a 2013 cayenne turbo S to an x6 m, there is no better suv right no, so i moving up from a porsche to a BMW Recent test have the x5/6 even on the track in front.
What was my option, taken a minor faceliftet cayenne turbo S 2016 or going with a brand new x6m for daily driver the next 2-3 years.
Porsche will make the new cayenne 2018, and thill then they are behind the x5/6. Infotainment on the cayenne is really a waste of time.
It is hardly any better than in my 997 gt2, even my upcoming 991gt3 rs has the same old platform.
Hope they sort that in the 991.2
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #41
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post

However....

For England!
Have you driven the RR Sport? It doesn't really compare to either of these when it comes to on road sport performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #42
enzom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M/20 720S/20 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Have you driven the RR Sport? It doesn't really compare to either of these when it comes to on road sport performance.
I own an RRS Supercharged, and have driven both the 15 X5M and 15 Cayenne Turbo. That is a true statement.
Appreciate 0