BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    USB Format not accepted

05-14-2022, 11:55 PM   #1
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

USB Format not accepted

Hooked up apple nano through usb C connection in console and I drive says not recognized? Tried through usb 2.0 in front by charge pad same message. Anyone else experience same? Not sure why apple device would not be recognized.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer110! View Post
Hooked up apple nano through usb C connection in console and I drive says not recognized? Tried through usb 2.0 in front by charge pad same message. Anyone else experience same? Not sure why apple device would not be recognized.
I had the same issue with an iPod video from like 2006 that has my old school music on it. I was using an aftermarket 30 pin cable. Once I found a (used, but OEM) one on eBay, it worked after unplugging and replugging in a few times.

A side point that you may encounter — even with the OEM cable, often times the iPod will get stuck on the first track of the iPod and play the first 5 seconds of song, over and over and over again. I unplug it slightly — just enough for the tip of USB cable to not make contact with the deepest part of the port, but while still keeping the male part hovering in the female part. Just for half a second.

Also, I have a pre-LCI, so my center console plug that I use for this is old school USB type A, not the the USB C port found on LCI cars. Not sure if this makes a difference. If you have an LCI model, I'm not sure if this would help you, as I don't believe there exists Apple OEM 30 pin to USB C cables.

When you tried the cup holder USB, did you use an OEM USB Type A to 30 pin cable? Also, I'm sure you know this, but the (pre-LCI, at least) car cannot read two USB devices at a time if there is something plugged into both the cup holder port and the center console port. Did you have anything plugged in the other while you tried each?

I hope this is somewhat useful!
      05-15-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I had the same issue with an iPod video from like 2006 that has my old school music on it. I was using an aftermarket 30 pin cable. Once I found a (used, but OEM) one on eBay, it worked after unplugging and replugging in a few times.

A side point that you may encounter — even with the OEM cable, often times the iPod will get stuck on the first track of the iPod and play the first 5 seconds of song, over and over and over again. I unplug it slightly — just enough for the tip of USB cable to not make contact with the deepest part of the port, but while still keeping the male part hovering in the female part. Just for half a second.

Also, I have a pre-LCI, so my center console plug that I use for this is old school USB type A, not the the USB C port found on LCI cars. Not sure if this makes a difference. If you have an LCI model, I'm not sure if this would help you, as I don't believe there exists Apple OEM 30 pin to USB C cables.

When you tried the cup holder USB, did you use an OEM USB Type A to 30 pin cable? Also, I'm sure you know this, but the (pre-LCI, at least) car cannot read two USB devices at a time if there is something plugged into both the cup holder port and the center console port. Did you have anything plugged in the other while you tried each?

Thank you for the info. Car is an LCI car. The usb by the cup holders was tried with an Oem cord, the console cord was third party. Still scratching my head because a usb stick worked fine in the cup holder USB port.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 09:50 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the info. Car is an LCI car. The usb by the cup holders was tried with an Oem cord, the console cord was third party. Still scratching my head because a usb stick worked fine in the cup holder USB port.
You're welcome!

Interesting — to add another wrinkle as opposed to ironing this out, I just tried and my cup holder port will not allow the old iPod to work, even with the OEM cable that works with my center console port. I'm purely speculating here, so pardon the conjecture, but I'm wondering if the data transfer is not supported for older devices via the cup holder port. Maybe that's why it only works with my center console port. Perhaps your USB stick is newer, thus having better/different transfer speeds and that's why it will read that, but not your Nano.

If there are any different configurations or anything I can try that may help you out, please let me know!
      05-17-2022, 11:08 PM   #5
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome!

Interesting — to add another wrinkle as opposed to ironing this out, I just tried and my cup holder port will not allow the old iPod to work, even with the OEM cable that works with my center console port. I'm purely speculating here, so pardon the conjecture, but I'm wondering if the data transfer is not supported for older devices via the cup holder port. Maybe that's why it only works with my center console port. Perhaps your USB stick is newer, thus having better/different transfer speeds and that's why it will read that, but not your Nano.

If there are any different configurations or anything I can try that may help you out, please let me know!
That seems like a valid assumption? At this point w/ Tidal master quality streaming, Spotify and music resident on phone I gave up on the Nano. Overall the quality of the HK system isn’t good enough to sweat it. I’m always amazed at the delta when I drive my wife’s X7M50i w/ B&W diamond system.....unfortunately the B&W wasn’t available for the build but the MPE a exhaust makes up for it mostly. Thanks for all the assistance much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:11 AM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome!

That seems like a valid assumption? At this point w/ Tidal master quality streaming, Spotify and music resident on phone I gave up on the Nano. Overall the quality of the HK system isn’t good enough to sweat it. I’m always amazed at the delta when I drive my wife’s X7M50i w/ B&W diamond system.....unfortunately the B&W wasn’t available for the build but the MPE a exhaust makes up for it mostly. Thanks for all the assistance much appreciated
You're welcome! I agree about the HK. I also unfortunately had to forego BW from my spec.

I'm also strongly considering MPE for my incoming car as well. Glad to hear you're happy with it!
      05-26-2022, 11:34 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Hey Hammer110! I was looking for something else for myself and saw this and thought of you. I couldn't figure out if it's USB type C but perhaps you can. It should work if so!

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/3...-ADAPTER-CABLE