BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing    Question about internet output jack

Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Question about internet output jack

I just got off the phone w my ISP tech, apparently it doesn't matter if one is using cable/fiber/etc internet, there is only one (1) working jack designated per home (in my case, doesn't matter I have 2 cable outlets). I was frustrated because I wanted to use the ethernet cable in my bedroom (instead of relying in slower wifi) so I moved the modem from the living room to my bedroom but the jack there didn't work. If I wanted the bedroom jack to work, I would have to deactivate the living room one (since it's only 1 working jack per home).

Is this correct?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #2
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

A lot of new homes will put the jacks on the wall but wont run actual CAT cable to them. Take the panel off and see if there's actual cable attached to it.
      Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
A lot of new homes will put the jacks on the wall but wont run actual CAT cable to them. Take the panel off and see if there's actual cable attached to it.
Really? I thought it was just an ISP issue, not a homebuild issue also?

That would be crazy dishonest and I doubt that's the case for me since there are wirings in the IT box or whatever ppl call that to indicate there are 2 boxes being supplied.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #4
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Its literally like one screw, just pop the cover off the wall and look. My last house had this exact issue.

If the cable is there, there should be one area in your home where the ISP primary ethernet is run, your modem HAS to be plugged into that one. If you want your other ethernet ports plugs in your home to work your modem will need to have extra ports on it and those ethernet outlets will need to be plugged into the modem. Here's a photo of my setup for you to make sense of it better.

Modem (black cable) is plugged into my mesh network router, mesh router (yellow cable) is then plugged into my ethernet switch, my ethernet outlets (the blue cables) are plugged into the ethernet switch. I then have another mesh router plugged into an ethernet outlet downstairs along with whatever else plugged into the outlets throughout my house.
Attached Images

Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Its literally like one screw, just pop the cover off the wall and look. My last house had this exact issue.

If the cable is there, there should be one area in your home where the ISP primary ethernet is run, your modem HAS to be plugged into that one. If you want your other ethernet ports plugs in your home to work your modem will need to have extra ports on it and those ethernet outlets will need to be plugged into the modem. Here's a photo of my setup for you to make sense of it better.

Modem (black cable) is plugged into my mesh network router, mesh router (yellow cable) is then plugged into my ethernet switch, my ethernet outlets (the blue cables) are plugged into the ethernet switch. I then have another mesh router plugged into an ethernet outlet downstairs along with whatever else plugged into the outlets throughout my house.
I appreciate your post but the point is moot for me cuz the ISP said they can only have 1 outlet working at a time, so even if my bedroom outlet is wired, I'm not going to arrange to move my modem there at the expense of shutting down my living room outlet.

I just have a very basic setup: it's the cable from my living room wall outlet to the modem, modem ethernet to my wifi router, which has 4 ports for ethernet wires (none being used rn...previously I had 1 for my laptop when it was there); my bedroom laptop is just getting wifi atm. I guess my solution if I really want ethernet in the bedroom is to run a very long cable but I don't want to bother doing that. My router is ancient (~14 yrs old) but still alright so I'm not planning on upgrading any time soon. I guess I have to be satisfied w this setup unless there's something totally obvious that I missed.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #6
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ya unless you have a central area where all of your outlets meet (like the white box in my picture) your out of luck unless you just want to run 100ft of Ethernet cable from your modem to each room lol

Just buy a nice mesh network and you can take advantage of decent wifi speeds.
      Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ya unless you have a central area where all of your outlets meet (like the white box in my picture) your out of luck unless you just want to run 100ft of Ethernet cable from your modem to each room lol

Just buy a nice mesh network and you can take advantage of decent wifi speeds.
Hey, tx for informing me. Haha, I'd sooner move than run that crap LOL.

Just going back to my OP question: so it's true there's only 1 working outlet per ISP or per home?

I'm very basic...no idea what 'mesh network' means haha.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #8
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Hey, tx for informing me. Haha, I'd sooner move than run that crap LOL.

Just going back to my OP question: so it's true there's only 1 working outlet per ISP or per home?

I'm very basic...no idea what 'mesh network' means haha.
Without knowing your home set up, it’s not that black and white. Usually your ISP will run a cable from a box outside your house or your garage that’s connected out to the utility box somewhere on your street.
That one wire is then ran into your house and your modem has to hook up to that as that’s your gateway to your ISP.

All of my outlets work but that’s because my modem is feeding those outlets through my Ethernet switch like i mentioned earlier.

Maybe ask your home builder where the outlets run off to? They have to go somewhere.

I only have a vague understanding of this stuff, just enough to get mine to work haha.
      Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Without knowing your home set up, it’s not that black and white. Usually your ISP will run a cable from a box outside your house or your garage that’s connected out to the utility box somewhere on your street.
That one wire is then ran into your house and your modem has to hook up to that as that’s your gateway to your ISP.

All of my outlets work but that’s because my modem is feeding those outlets through my Ethernet switch like i mentioned earlier.

Maybe ask your home builder where the outlets run off to? They have to go somewhere.

I only have a vague understanding of this stuff, just enough to get mine to work haha.
I'm in a condo, from my recollection, the tech just asked me where I wanna setup the modem. Now, I asked the ISP CS, so I guess what they said makes sense, since they are just using whatever line was already pre-installed in the IT box or whatever it's called, and they chose to hook it up to the living room outlet after I told them to. I suppose if I wanted to ensure the signal went to both my outlets I would've gotten some eqt to split it at the box?

Anyway, I guess I can't do anything rn.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #10
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm in a condo, from my recollection, the tech just asked me where I wanna setup the modem. Now, I asked the ISP CS, so I guess what they said makes sense, since they are just using whatever line was already pre-installed in the IT box or whatever it's called, and they chose to hook it up to the living room outlet after I told them to. I suppose if I wanted to ensure the signal went to both my outlets I would've gotten some eqt to split it at the box?

Anyway, I guess I can't do anything rn.
Ya it sounds like there’s nothing you can do now. It’s also like pulling teeth talking to ISP customer service because most of them know less than nothing about what they are talking about.