BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Planning Nordschleife during busy weekend at GP track... anyone with experiences?

06-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 F36 440i GC, '03 E46 M3

Planning Nordschleife during busy weekend at GP track... anyone with experiences?

Hi all. I am doing ED on an F90 comp, taking delivery mid July. I plan to do the Nurburgring last however that would land me on July 20-21 weekend which is the ADAC Truck Grand Prix on the GP track, a particularly busy weekend would apparently be an understatement.

My question is, has anyone done the Nordschelife during a busy GP track weekend? Is it an absolute nightmare to get on? I want to enjoy the track and don't mind waiting for a bit, but if it's full of people and takes 3 hours to get on to do a lap.... that would suck.

I try to 'reroute' myself to do the 'ring on another day but it would seriously f up my trip. Plus on weekdays it's only open from 5 to 7 or something.

Opinions?
2016 Ford F250 Diesel - Carries things
2019 BMW F90 M5C - Sold and I regret it
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Is it your first time? It will be crowded for sure, not a great time if your first time. Higher risk and more likely to have closures. Laps won't take any longer just more traffic.
      07-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Nope not my first time, been before for ED. My concern is more the waiting around to get on track, and once I am on the folks likely to accompany a truck racing weekend who might not care too much for the general rules of the 'ring.

I did some digging on this and I should have a good chance Saturday before the track closes and Sunday at the crack of 8AM to get some laps in before it gets busy. But Sunday after 10AM / Saturday afternoon will basically be f'd. I also got the Green Hell app or whatever it is so I'll just get my tourist passes through that and drive right on, no getting tickets at a booth.

I will definitely post my experience but just wanted to see if anyone else has done it and if there's any additional tips.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Alright, so I went to the 'ring during the Truck GP weekend and it was EASY to get on and off! A lot of cars, anywhere from 80 - 200 on track at any one time, but the gates pumped people through easily. Saturday there were 2 track closures while I was there (2.5 hours), the second one closed it at 5:30 for the night. I guess it was pretty bad. All in all Sat in the hours I was there, there were 4 ambulances dispatched and at least 5 police cars. On Sunday there wasn't a closure but a nasty oil spill which required yellow flags at that section for the entire time I was there, but it's not a big deal. It was at Adenau, that one spot where a lot of people spectate. One thing for sure, the marshals are on the ball.

There's a lot of spectators for sure, but there was almost zero wait to go on. Most times I approached the gate with no one else lined up. And now they let you go straight back on the track, you can keep left at the end of the straight and tap yourself right back on. Dangerous for the wallet, lol. And since I had the Green Hell Driving app, we'd buy more tickets through the internets while slowing in the car, and I plowed through a few hundred Euro in no time.

I made a point to come off to let the car cool after 2-3 laps each time. I had to keep engine RPM's low, but after a few sighting laps where I was slow as F, I got the layout down a lot better and the tires and brakes started to suffer quite a bit

So in summary, don't even worry about busy weekends. While you might have to park your car in the massive grass lot across the street (a 3 min walk from the Devil's Diner), getting on and off the actual track is a BREEZE.

Added bonus, we went to the Ring Boulevard after and had some great food at the restaurant across the street, then checked out all the shops (more wallet damage) and watched truck racing! It's pretty awesome, lots of action, and a great crowd.

-J
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Thanks for sharing - sounds like an awesome time! Typing this from the Hilton in Munich where I drop off my car before heading back from our ED.

I was trying to plan a trip to the Ring but the two daya that would have worked with my schedule - the track was closed. My luck...

What did you do about track insurance?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
darkrabbit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
Thanks for sharing - sounds like an awesome time! Typing this from the Hilton in Munich where I drop off my car before heading back from our ED.

I was trying to plan a trip to the Ring but the two daya that would have worked with my schedule - the track was closed. My luck...

What did you do about track insurance?
Didn't bother with the track insurance as I couldn't figure out who to use, where to get it, etc. Next time I go I am going to be more diligent on it and look into it more.
Appreciate 0