BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Maintaining XPEL Stealth (hand washing, car washes, etc..)

04-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Maintaining XPEL Stealth (hand washing, car washes, etc..)

So I've got a full wrap on my m5 along with ceramic pro, and I'm pretty happy with it.

What I'm trying to figure out is the easiest way to maintain.

So far I've been alternating between hand washes (when I can spare the time) and drive through touchless car washes.

The lower end touchless options are nice in that they don't use any chemicals beyond some soap on the finish. But they do an even worse job compared to the higher end options which take a bit of extra time washing the car and more coverage.

I'm trying to figure out if there's some middle ground, where I can use an option or two above the lowest. A lot of the car washes claim to use "clear coat protectants" but I can't figure out what these actually are. Will they damage the stealth/ceramic finish?

Ex: was thinking of the Deluxe or The Works options listed here:

04-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Docflyer
Rep
Drives: M5 2019

I have Kamikaze Zipang/Myobi on my M5. They recommend on most ceramic coatings to use only Ph neutral car shampoo. This probably rules out most drive through washes. This sure makes the washing a lot more labor intensive. It would be nice if someone would start a touch-less, Ph neutral, no coating car wash in my area! Getting a break from hand washing would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Rjduff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
I know exactly what you are saying. I have two cars with Xpel and Ceramic Pro and have determined that hand washing is only safe way to go. I am concerned about the quality of the soap at the touchless car washes as well as the clear coat spray that most car washes use.

Living here in Wisconsin hand washing a car in winter is a bit of a hassle. It would be great if someone would open up a do it yourself indoor car wash. I would gladly pay $25.00 for an hour of indoor wash bay time. I guess there just isn’t a big enough market.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
dalixz25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, Tesla M3P

Just hand wash?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docflyer View Post
I have Kamikaze Zipang/Myobi on my M5. They recommend on most ceramic coatings to use only Ph neutral car shampoo. This probably rules out most drive through washes. This sure makes the washing a lot more labor intensive. It would be nice if someone would start a touch-less, Ph neutral, no coating car wash in my area! Getting a break from hand washing would be nice.
Yea I wouldn't mind paying extra for the convenience :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjduff View Post
I know exactly what you are saying. I have two cars with Xpel and Ceramic Pro and have determined that hand washing is only safe way to go. I am concerned about the quality of the soap at the touchless car washes as well as the clear coat spray that most car washes use.

Living here in Wisconsin hand washing a car in winter is a bit of a hassle. It would be great if someone would open up a do it yourself indoor car wash. I would gladly pay $25.00 for an hour of indoor wash bay time. I guess there just isn’t a big enough market.
Ugh yea so luckily I don't have to deal with winter and salt and all that any more at least. But it's still dusty all year around and that definitely shows. I've just recently heard that there may be some full service hand wash places around here at least, going to look into those. Maybe something similar around you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalixz25 View Post
Just hand wash?
If you read the original message you'd see I was explicitly looking for alternatives.
      04-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
dalixz25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, Tesla M3P

I have the same wrap as well. Haven't opted for any alternatives other than handwashing but open to hearing from others as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
vinithing
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjduff View Post

Where did you get your wrap done in WI?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
Rjduff
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had it done in Lake Zurich IL by Luminescent Detailing. They share the same building as IND Distribution. I had a few carbon bits put on the while it was there.

I was so please with their work I had them do my wife’s 2018 X5.

There is a shop in Pewaukee called Charisma Customs that is now a certified installer of Xpel but they were not an installer of Expel last summer. I can’t speak to the quality of their work.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
vinithing
Rep

I live in Pewaukee and gave Charisma a call. They quoted $2,500 for a Xpel wrap, basically all of the front facing surfaces. I’ve never wrapped a car so can’t compare it to anything. I do know they work on some very high end cars though..

What was the cost for yours? I have no problem driving over the border. I got the car from a dealer in IL.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
why don't you just get on a maintenance schedule with a professional detailer?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #11
Rjduff
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinithing View Post
I live in Pewaukee and gave Charisma a call. They quoted $2,500 for a Xpel wrap, basically all of the front facing surfaces. I’ve never wrapped a car so can’t compare it to anything. I do know they work on some very high end cars though..

What was the cost for yours? I have no problem driving over the border. I got the car from a dealer in IL.
I had the entire car wrapped and Ceramic Pro’d including the wheels for $6100.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

i never had an issue with Chevron touch-less washes and xpel and had all my cars covered in xpel.. if anything on the bmw gloss black trim (i.e. around windows etc) carwash soap would leave stains on it, probably super concentrated that it eats into clear almost.. but i've never seen it have any impact on xpel film.. that stuff is pretty bulletproof! I've opted since for self wash at home with pressure washer just to be safe..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #13
CRUDE
Rep
Drives: GTR

My GTR is fully wrapped in Xpel Stealth and I also happen to own gas stations with touchless car washes. The chemicals from a touchless will not ruin your wrap unless it is really cheap soap. Most touchless wash soaps use similar chemical composition since there is a shared science behind it. My GTR has been through over 200 washes through my touch less washes with Zero damage. Just don't take it through a cloth wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #14
KASM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Alternatives-

1. Other than hand wash is a mobile detailer. Get on a service and they will keep it tight regularly.

2. Xpel has a no rinse wash that they sell on their site that I love. A couple cap fills in the water, wipe down and dry. I do once a week in my garage.

3. Xpel also sells a detail spray on their site. I keep it and a rag in the trunk. Bugs, bird droppings or anything. Can wipe whole car down in 5 minutes and looks good..

I hope that helps. Eventually the jets from the automatic washes will get the edges of your wrap. Long term not a good option.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #15
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
since it's ceramic coated over PPF, just do a touchless pressure washer wash. Spray it down, foam it up with snow foam, and spray it down again. Saves a lot of effort from actually scrubbing the car down and you will get a pretty decently clean car.
Appreciate 0