E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pls Help. Long Crank / Electrical Issues - E90

06-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #23
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Update for anyone still following this thread...

I finally decided to go to a shop, mechanic I've known for a couple years and had work on my past vehicles before I started learning some things. He had it for about 2 hours and hooked up his laptop ran a couple tests and checked for codes and such.

His response to the issues was basically...

"Every test I ran showed everything was fine, which is a problem because there are so many things it could be and each of them are hundreds of dollars. Your best bet is to keep driving it until the ECU realizes something is wrong and gives you a code or dash light. Otherwise we'd just be swapping expensive parts in and out until it fixes it which isn't smart."

I'm also in a nation-wide BMW facebook group were someone with the same year and model vehicle posted about this issue and about 6 people commented saying they had the same issue and it was there starter, however about 2 commented saying their issue was solved by replacing injectors.
I'm tempted to do what you guys said and just go buy a new starter and put it in...
      06-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #24
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempxst View Post
Update for anyone still following this thread...

I finally decided to go to a shop, mechanic I've known for a couple years and had work on my past vehicles before I started learning some things. He had it for about 2 hours and hooked up his laptop ran a couple tests and checked for codes and such.

His response to the issues was basically...

"Every test I ran showed everything was fine, which is a problem because there are so many things it could be and each of them are hundreds of dollars. Your best bet is to keep driving it until the ECU realizes something is wrong and gives you a code or dash light. Otherwise we'd just be swapping expensive parts in and out until it fixes it which isn't smart."

I'm also in a nation-wide BMW facebook group were someone with the same year and model vehicle posted about this issue and about 6 people commented saying they had the same issue and it was there starter, however about 2 commented saying their issue was solved by replacing injectors.
I'm tempted to do what you guys said and just go buy a new starter and put it in...
I don't believe it's a starter issue. The starter's only job is to turn the engine over, which you said sounds healthy. Typically when a starter fails, it will not turn the engine over at all, or will do it very slow accompanied by an awkward sound.
From what you have described, it sounds more like a fueling issue. At this point, I would lean towards a fuel pump starting to fail, or dirty injectors. If you're willing to load the parts cannon to try to fix your issue, I would start with an OEM fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #25
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseJunkie View Post
I don't believe it's a starter issue. The starter's only job is to turn the engine over, which you said sounds healthy. Typically when a starter fails, it will not turn the engine over at all, or will do it very slow accompanied by an awkward sound.
From what you have described, it sounds more like a fueling issue. At this point, I would lean towards a fuel pump starting to fail, or dirty injectors. If you're willing to load the parts cannon to try to fix your issue, I would start with an OEM fuel pump.
Thanks for the reply, shortly after my last reply I was looking at a few more cases online and with it being such a consistent crank sound it seems like lots have fixed the issue by switching out the Fuel Pressure Regulator or Fuel Pump as a whole. Guess I better run down this tank of gas and order.

I believe the fuel pressure is dropping after it sits and the cranking is taking so long because its waiting for the pressure to be rebuilt before the engine will start. Is it worth checking the fuel filter on the regulator? Or am I better off just buying a new pump and installing it?

ALSO any recommendations on where/which pump is a good replacement. I see some for $70-$450 and I'm not sure of quality.
      06-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, shortly after my last reply I was looking at a few more cases online and with it being such a consistent crank sound it seems like lots have fixed the issue by switching out the Fuel Pressure Regulator or Fuel Pump as a whole. Guess I better run down this tank of gas and order.

I believe the fuel pressure is dropping after it sits and the cranking is taking so long because its waiting for the pressure to be rebuilt before the engine will start. Is it worth checking the fuel filter on the regulator? Or am I better off just buying a new pump and installing it?

ALSO any recommendations on where/which pump is a good replacement. I see some for $70-$450 and I'm not sure of quality.
One way to test that theory is to cycle the ignition 3-4 times before you try to crank the engine. This primes the fuel pump and would confirm your suspicion of a pressure bleed off while the car sits. If that's the case, then I would start with a fuel pressure regulator before you replace the whole pump assembly. I would recommend getting OEM parts either from your local dealer, or places like Tischer or ECS. Avoid Airtex brand fuel pumps at all cost!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #27
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
One way to test that theory is to cycle the ignition 3-4 times before you try to crank the engine. This primes the fuel pump and would confirm your suspicion of a pressure bleed off while the car sits. If that's the case, then I would start with a fuel pressure regulator before you replace the whole pump assembly. I would recommend getting OEM parts either from your local dealer, or places like Tischer or ECS. Avoid Airtex brand fuel pumps at all cost!
Thanks for this info, I've tried cycling it on/off a couple times before starting to engine and it didn't seem to help, but I'll give it a go again today for shits and giggles.
I can't hear the pump prime at all, even when taking the back seats off and putting my ear right next to the pump. I think I'm going to order a new regulator this weekend and install it since it's cheaper than a whole new pump assembly. It seems that the pump runs fine after the pressure is built up.

Thanks for the information!
      06-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #28
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
UPDATE:

I just found this other thread that was apparently invisible before. Same car, exact same symptoms, all fixed by replacing FPR.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004917

I'm gonna give it a go this weekend and will update if it fixes my issue! Hope this helps anyone in the future who has the issue.
      06-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #29
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE:

I just found this other thread that was apparently invisible before. Same car, exact same symptoms, all fixed by replacing FPR.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004917

I'm gonna give it a go this weekend and will update if it fixes my issue! Hope this helps anyone in the future who has the issue.

I could be mistaken about when E90s prime the pump. Someone else may be able to chime in. I know some VWs and other Euros prime when you unlock the doors.

Glad you found a relative thread to aid you though! A FPR shouldn't break the bank. So it's a good starting point. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #30
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I could be mistaken about when E90s prime the pump. Someone else may be able to chime in. I know some VWs and other Euros prime when you unlock the doors.

Glad you found a relative thread to aid you though! A FPR shouldn't break the bank. So it's a good starting point. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Thanks for the reply!

I also read that the E90s should have an audible prime when the doors are opened or unlocked. However someone above questioned that they had never heard of a car priming the fuel pump before ignition :L

Either way, the pump is completely silent until the cranking is over and the engine is running. Seems like the FPR is fixing most issues like this and has the exact symptoms I'm having.
I figured it's worth the money to start there like you said, maybe it will fix it and keep me from being embarrassed to start my BMW in a parking lot full of people haha!
      06-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #31
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I also read that the E90s should have an audible prime when the doors are opened or unlocked. However someone above questioned that they had never heard of a car priming the fuel pump before ignition :L

Either way, the pump is completely silent until the cranking is over and the engine is running. Seems like the FPR is fixing most issues like this and has the exact symptoms I'm having.
I figured it's worth the money to start there like you said, maybe it will fix it and keep me from being embarrassed to start my BMW in a parking lot full of people haha!
Most modern cars prime the pump for a few seconds when you turn the key. I know E46s do because that's how we diagnose bad fuel pumps. One guy at the key, and another with an ear to the tank. It's pretty audible, especially if there's less than half a tank. It strikes me as odd that you cannot hear anything even when cranking, maybe try to find a stethoscope or use an extension as a makeshift one. Another option is to rent a fuel pressure gauge and just watch the gauge when you turn the ignition on to position 2 (cluster lights all come on) should be somewhere between 40-50psi.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #32
Wally_84
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I don’t know if this helps you or not, but after hearing your problems I had gone to my e90 06' 330i, and removed the seats to see if there is any prime up related to the pump sound. I for once could not hear any.

I first pressed the start button, and then cranked the car.

06-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #33
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_84 View Post
I don’t know if this helps you or not, but after hearing your problems I had gone to my e90 06' 330i, and removed the seats to see if there is any prime up related to the pump sound. I for once could not hear any.

I first pressed the start button, and then cranked the car.

Thanks for the video!

Hm I did not hear anything there either but I can hear mine kick on once its started. Well I guess I'll report back to you guys once I replace my FPR and see if I can hear it and/or if it fixed the extended crank.

I'm ordering this weekend, should have it replaced next week sometime.
      06-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #34
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
2006 330i (130K miles, second owner)

Been experiencing a long crank issue. Crank is consistent, no weird sounds its just long. Mainly after the car sits for over an hour or so sometimes takes up to idk..5..7 seconds. However if it hasn't been sitting for a while and I hop back in it fires up immediately no extended crank.

On top of that I noticed that sometimes when it does take long to crank I end up having some temporary electrical issue...one of my headlights will be out for 3 minutes and come back on randomly after driving for a few minutes...or my radio display will be chopped up but when the car starts perfectly the display is crystal clear. Weird stuff everything I research tells me to replace my fuel pump or fuel pump control module but I've seen some claiming that grounding issues or wiring issues were what caused this for them.

Battery?
Starter?
Fuel Pump?

- I've checked spark plugs, good.
- Tested battery terminals, held over 12V.
- Let the car sit on a battery tender, still cranks long.
- Only use premium fuel.
- Took out the Fuel Pump Control Module, no burn marks or odd discoloration.

Please give me any info you can. Thanks.

Fuel pumps on 330s are rare to go bad. These are well made. Check your ground cables, battery, pour in a bottle of injector cleaner. If all these check OK, then most likely is your starter. You dont test your battery by using a voltmeter connected to the terminals. Take it to Auto store and have them do a load test.

Fuel related issues are rare on our N52 engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #35
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Fuel pumps on 330s are rare to go bad. These are well made. Check your ground cables, battery, pour in a bottle of injector cleaner. If all these check OK, then most likely is your starter. You dont test your battery by using a voltmeter connected to the terminals. Take it to Auto store and have them do a load test.

Fuel related issues are rare on our N52 engines.
Since the issue started occurring:

- Ground cables have been replaced
- Battery is brand new and been registered
- Took it to a shop and had the starter tested
- Checked spark plugs and ignition coils

The only solutions I've seen that worked for people when the starter was good now is:

- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Crankshaft Positioning Sensor

I can go grab some injector cleaner today and dump it in just in-case.
GoRomeo1007.00
      06-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #36
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since the issue started occurring:

- Ground cables have been replaced
- Battery is brand new and been registered
- Took it to a shop and had the starter tested
- Checked spark plugs and ignition coils

The only solutions I've seen that worked for people when the starter was good now is:

- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Crankshaft Positioning Sensor

I can go grab some injector cleaner today and dump it in just in-case.
While way less common than E46 fuel pumps, E90 pumps still go bad. I work for an indy Euro shop and have done at least two in the past year myself. Although, both of them were crank-no start conditions, unlike what OP is experiencing. I'm unsure on why people keep mentioning starter problems. If it is turning over normally, doesn't sound sluggish, and is cranking for long periods of time, then the starter is just fine. All the starter does is spin the engine over via the flywheel/flexplate. It doesn't have anything to do with the fuel/air/compression/spark needed by the engine in order to start. Don't get me wrong, N52 starters are a common failure item. I've replaced more than I can count. Including the one on my car. But when they go, the engine doesn't crank at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #37
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
While way less common than E46 fuel pumps, E90 pumps still go bad. I work for an indy Euro shop and have done at least two in the past year myself. Although, both of them were crank-no start conditions, unlike what OP is experiencing. I'm unsure on why people keep mentioning starter problems. If it is turning over normally, doesn't sound sluggish, and is cranking for long periods of time, then the starter is just fine. All the starter does is spin the engine over via the flywheel/flexplate. It doesn't have anything to do with the fuel/air/compression/spark needed by the engine in order to start. Don't get me wrong, N52 starters are a common failure item. I've replaced more than I can count. Including the one on my car. But when they go, the engine doesn't crank at all.
Yeah I keep getting a lot of starter assumption because its so common, but the crank hasn't gotten worse and its a healthy consistent sound. Just a wait period thats super annoying.
      06-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #38
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
FINAL UPDATE:

Got the new FPR in on Friday and swapped it out on Saturday. Fires up like it should now!

Thanks for the info and everyone who helped me sort this out. Hopefully anyone else with this issue finds this thread or the other one before dumping a bunch of money on a new fuel pump, starter, etc.
      06-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #39
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
FINAL UPDATE:

Got the new FPR in on Friday and swapped it out on Saturday. Fires up like it should now!

Thanks for the info and everyone who helped me sort this out. Hopefully anyone else with this issue finds this thread or the other one before dumping a bunch of money on a new fuel pump, starter, etc.
what was it then? Fuel Pump regulator?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #40
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Finally clicked on this thread. Glad you got it sorted!

My car (2013) makes so many noises when it's off, lol. And I haven't taken the time to research them so I have no clue as to what they are (I figured they're all fuel or emissions related, though). I've never seen/heard such in my life. My gf and I sometimes can't help but laugh at it. When you unlock it, open the door, close the door, take out the key, after it's been sitting for a minute... etc... seems like it's always doing something and making wooshing noises ha.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #41
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
what was it then? Fuel Pump regulator?
Ended up being the Fuel Pressure Regulator as found in the other thread. Fuel pressure was being lost after the car was shut off, also it looks like the top of the assembly may have had a crack in it.

Glad it's over with though, the repair was not very difficult at all and saved me a ton of money! AND now I don't have to feel embarrased to start my car when I walk out to the parkinglot haha!
GoRomeo1007.00
lab_rat394.50
      06-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #42
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Finally clicked on this thread. Glad you got it sorted!

My car (2013) makes so many noises when it's off, lol. And I haven't taken the time to research them so I have no clue as to what they are (I figured they're all fuel or emissions related, though). I've never seen/heard such in my life. My gf and I sometimes can't help but laugh at it. When you unlock it, open the door, close the door, take out the key, after it's been sitting for a minute... etc... seems like it's always doing something and making wooshing noises ha.
That's very strange!