BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Thoughts on Bower & Wilkins?

06-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #89
Pzl1nz00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzl1nz00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
My main home system is Ayre with Harbeth; my second system is Blue Circle with Shahinian; my third system is Parasound with Kef. Good sound is important to me and while there's better car audio to be had, the B&W system has me satisfied - and despite some less then enthusiastic posts on bimmerpost it's a pretty good setup.
Watch this for proper setup

Maybe they made some changes for the LCI. My pre-LCI chart looks nothing like yours after following your settings and I have virtually no bass?
Are you saying you did same series of sweeps to test and your curve looks very different and has no bass?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 02:27 PM   #90
Pzl1nz00
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My main home system is Ayre with Harbeth; my second system is Blue Circle with Shahinian; my third system is Parasound with Kef. Good sound is important to me and while there's better car audio to be had, the B&W system has me satisfied - and despite some less then enthusiastic posts on bimmerpost it's a pretty good setup.

Maybe they made some changes for the LCI. My pre-LCI chart looks nothing like yours after following your settings and I have virtually no bass?
Are you saying you did same series of sweeps to test and your curve looks very different and has no bass?
Please try something for me…

Try playing Massive Attack - Angel

This is a very good song for testing bass. Track is recorded very well and puts a system to the test! A lot of professional evaluators use this as one of their tracks.

On our cars, please turn up the volume to a fairly decent level and play song with my EQ settings vs moving the bass slider up 1 or 2 or try even.

I think you will agree that a -4, pushing it a bit with a -3 seems to yield best results, but curious with your findings on your car. If we have volume down pretty low where we can have a normal conversation, bass slider up 1 or 2 notches is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #91
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
I have a pre-LCI and think your settings are spot on. I didn't pull out my UMIK-1 and REW to run a sweep b/c I'm already pleased with what I'm hearing. My guess regarding bass is that, when you get used to boosted levels and immediately drop them down to flat (or close to), there is definitely a perception that you're missing bass. If folks give themselves a day or two to acclimate, I think they'll realize that it's a more pleasant and well-rounded experience. And worst case, bump the bass knob up a couple of clicks if you ultimately prefer it that way.

I'm baffled that so many folks find the B&W system subpar. What are they comparing it to? It's miles better than any OEM system I've heard from the likes of HK (incl. Bavsound upgrades), Bose, etc - which aren't particularly high bars, IMO. For context, my reference system at home is comprised of GoldenEar Triton 1s, SVS SB16 Ultras, a NAD pre, a McIntosh amp, and GIK Acoustics room treatment - so I have a reasonable reference point for what good audio sounds like. The reality is that cars will never sound like a well tuned home system (too much glass, for one), so there are always compromises - esp. in an OEM system. That aside, color me impressed with this system. Short of going custom, I haven't come across something more impressive in this range.

Edit: And as you state, volume is an important factor. If folks listen to their music quietly, there will be a perception that the bass is of lower amplitude vs. those that listen to the same settings at louder volumes. Hence why many audio products have a "loudness" option.
      06-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #92
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is a very good song for testing bass. Track is recorded very well and puts a system to the test! A lot of professional evaluators use this as one of their tracks.

On our cars, please turn up the volume to a fairly decent level and play song with my EQ settings vs moving the bass slider up 1 or 2 or try even.

I think you will agree that a -4, pushing it a bit with a -3 seems to yield best results, but curious with your findings on your car. If we have volume down pretty low where we can have a normal conversation, bass slider up 1 or 2 notches is reasonable.
Let me try this. I did have bass cranked before so maybe not used to what it should sound like. I also suck with audio 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 05:18 PM   #93
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, I had the bass turned down on the main settings screen, which I assume was affecting it. It sounds great!

Question - generally do you have the bass and treble neutral on the main screen?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 05:28 PM   #94
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, I had the bass turned down on the main settings screen, which I assume was affecting it. It sounds great!

Question - generally do you have the bass and treble neutral on the main screen?
From what I gathered, overall bass @ -3, treble @ 0
      06-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #95
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bass is set at -4 and treble +2.
I went with -3 on bass just to get a little extra. I'm really enjoying the sound that's coming through the speakers now. Cant thank OP enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #96
Pzl1nz00
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bass is set at -4 and treble +2.
I went with -3 on bass just to get a little extra. I'm really enjoying the sound that's coming through the speakers now. Cant thank OP enough.
Most welcome all!

It is truly one of the best available systems! Happy to be able to help everyone enjoy to highest performing level!
Appreciate 0