BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Carbahn Autoworks Tune

02-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #23
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
anyone get this yet? any word on engine coverage guarantees?

we wont know that until a motor blows it's load.

i'd take their warranty with a grain of salt..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

Update: Unfortunately after waiting 2 months I still haven't been able to tune with Carbahn. A handheld tablet is required to download my stock tune, send it to Carbahn in order to receive their tune to flash the M5.

My local authorized dealer was advised by Carbahn Autoworks that the tablet would be delivered about a month ago however there has been no tracking # yet from Carbahn yet and my dealer just told me today they haven't even charged their CC for the unit.

After numerous phone call attempts and emails with no reply from Carbahn I've decided to have my deposit refunded. I feel like they are unorganized and their lack of communication/ineptitude of whoever is in charge of their tuning department destroys the confidence of the warranty they offer should I ever run into any warranty issues seeing as it is near impossible to even get a solid answer from them trying to get a tablet sorted.

Tread carefully if you are going to tune with them and take their warranty with a grain of salt as it could possibly be a painful and arduous process as I've experienced thus far but I supposed in the end that is still better than a blown motor with no warranty!

Now the question is do I run DME Stage 2 while I wait for BM3 or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #25
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Update: Unfortunately after waiting 2 months I still haven't been able to tune with Carbahn. A handheld tablet is required to download my stock tune, send it to Carbahn in order to receive their tune to flash the M5.

My local authorized dealer was advised by Carbahn Autoworks that the tablet would be delivered about a month ago however there has been no tracking # yet from Carbahn yet and my dealer just told me today they haven't even charged their CC for the unit.

After numerous phone call attempts and emails with no reply from Carbahn I've decided to have my deposit refunded. I feel like they are unorganized and their lack of communication/ineptitude of whoever is in charge of their tuning department destroys the confidence of the warranty they offer should I ever run into any warranty issues seeing as it is near impossible to even get a solid answer from them trying to get a tablet sorted.

Tread carefully if you are going to tune with them and take their warranty with a grain of salt as it could possibly be a painful and arduous process as I've experienced thus far but I supposed in the end that is still better than a blown motor with no warranty!

why not just run BM3 Stage 1 until BM3 Stage 2 comes out, then you don't have to change platforms?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #26
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
why not just run BM3 Stage 1 until BM3 Stage 2 comes out, then you don't have to change platforms?
I would do that but I don't see BM3 Stage 1 available for purchase on their official website for the F90 platform. Where can I get this tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #27
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
I would do that but I don't see BM3 Stage 1 available for purchase on their official website for the F90 platform. Where can I get this tune?

only want a flash, not open to any sort of piggy solution?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #28
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:

ugh, well that's quite disappointing to hear.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #29
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

This is the same exact thing that two local performance shops have told me as well. They have been trying to get in contact with Carbahn to get the tablet for this tune and they cannot even get them to call them back.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #30
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
PM sent
Appreciate 1
cream45.50
      03-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #31
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
This is the same exact thing that two local performance shops have told me as well. They have been trying to get in contact with Carbahn to get the tablet for this tune and they cannot even get them to call them back.
Part of me thinks either certain components of the tablet is made in China or the whole thing is but either way that may explain why Carbahn does not have it in stock since nothing is really coming out of China ATM due to the virus. However the fact they told me it was "sent out already" is annoying because 1 month later still nothing and no communication.

That being said it would be nice if Carbahn would at least acknowledge us customers and let us know what's going on instead of the dead silence. My local performance shop has emailed them numerous times and called by phone this week, no replies and no one answering the phone, same thing been happening for the last month. I guess they don't want my money..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #32
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition

my BMW dealer is offering this tune along with the Carbahn warranty

anyone pulled the trigger any feedback?
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #33
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Don't do it! The Carbahn tune is so fast, one of these will happen:

a) you will lose all bowel control.
b) you will enter another dimension.
c) you will lose your warranty if you dyno the car to get true numbers.

Burger Tuning JB4, H & R 550 springs, spacers 13mm front and 10mm rear, Michelin PS4S 285/30/20 front, 295/30/20 rear, Remus racing exhaust, Eventuri V2 intake, Suntek Ultra PPF entire car, ceramic coated wheels/brakes, 20% ceramic tints, assorted CF bits.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #34
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Sounds like you're confusing Noelle and Carbahn.

Carbahn is Steve Dinan's company and actually has a history, with lots of warranty work being paid out over their years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Don't do it! The Carbahn tune is so fast, one of these will happen:

a) you will lose all bowel control.
b) you will enter another dimension.
c) you will lose your warranty if you dyno the car to get true numbers.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #35
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

They will offer you a demo in sense, you pay for the tune up front and if yo dont like it they will flash you back to stock and you just pay for the time it took to flash the car 1-2 hours labor.

Quote:
my BMW dealer is offering this tune along with the Carbahn warranty

anyone pulled the trigger any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #36
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer is working with Carbahn and not Noelle......we pay for the tune plus an extra insurance cost.....this insurance is the same as the prior Dinan coverage since Carbahn=Steve Dinan......all this backed up by my dealer.....sounds like we finally have a true tuning option with the F90 M5 without risking the $60k engine rebuild cost out of pocket

Last edited by Steeve19M5CP; 06-30-2020 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #37
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Dealer is working with Carbahn and not Noelle......we pay for the tune plus and an extra insurance cost.....this insurance is the same as the prior Dinan coverage since Carbahn=Steve Dinan......all this backed up by my dealer.....sounds like we finally have a true tuning option with the F90 M5 without risking the $60k engine rebuild cost out of pocket
If you call and talk to Chris he'll tell you about the many times they paid for repairs that were not even their fault, but they always do right by the customer.

I may try the tune out now that things opened up and see how it compares...if I dont like it I'll "return" it and just be out $200-$300.

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 06-29-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #38
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwusabmw View Post
Sounds like you're confusing Noelle and Carbahn.

Carbahn is Steve Dinan's company and actually has a history, with lots of warranty work being paid out over their years.
If you think you can get a warrantied tune, I got some beachfront in Arizona for ya. Actually both will deny warranty unless you can prove the tune broke the motor. You can't. I have heard of more broke motors denied by Dinan (carbahn) over the years than paid. And Noelle is just a joke. They are looking for any way out of their 'warranty'. But you right I got my fake warranty tunes mixed up. You get a tune and you take your chances bottom line.
Burger Tuning JB4, H & R 550 springs, spacers 13mm front and 10mm rear, Michelin PS4S 285/30/20 front, 295/30/20 rear, Remus racing exhaust, Eventuri V2 intake, Suntek Ultra PPF entire car, ceramic coated wheels/brakes, 20% ceramic tints, assorted CF bits.

Last edited by A Need For Speed; 06-29-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #39
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwusabmw View Post
They will offer you a demo in sense, you pay for the tune up front and if yo dont like it they will flash you back to stock and you just pay for the time it took to flash the car 1-2 hours labor.
And you think that flash and re-flash is undetectable??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #40
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dealer is working with Carbahn and not Noelle......we pay for the tune plus and an extra insurance cost.....this insurance is the same as the prior Dinan coverage since Carbahn=Steve Dinan......all this backed up by my dealer.....sounds like we finally have a true tuning option with the F90 M5 without risking the $60k engine rebuild cost out of pocket

Dinan will claim that the part that failed had nothing to do with the tune. BMW will claim that the tune broke the motor. And the driver is stuck with the bill. This has happened many times. Do a search on broke motors and you will see similar stories. Has Carbahn offered to show you copies of receipts of motors they have replaced/repaired after tune? That would be a must, not someones 'word'.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      06-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #41
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dinan will claim that the part that failed had nothing to do with the tune. BMW will claim that the tune broke the motor. And the driver is stuck with the bill. This has happened many times. Do a search on broke motors and you will see similar stories. Has Carbahn offered to show you copies of receipts of motors they have replaced/repaired after tune? That would be a must, not someones 'word'.
I havent heard many horror stories of Mr.Dinan(now Carbahn) running away from a busted motor claim? Where are you getting this info from? any forum links?......A tune with a Steve Dinan warranty is better than a JB4 or Racechip with no warranty etc......in my opinion especially since the BMW dealer is selling this to you directly someone will have to fork up when lawyers are involved
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #42
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I havent heard many horror stories of Mr.Dinan(now Carbahn) running away from a busted motor claim? Where are you getting this info from? any forum links?......A tune with a Steve Dinan warranty is better than a JB4 or Racechip with no warranty etc......in my opinion especially since the BMW dealer is selling this to you directly someone will have to fork up when lawyers are involved
Do a search but the stories are out there. As for a tune vs JB4, one can remove the JB4, one cannot remove the tune. And yes the ECM will still show the boost mods from a JB4 but I would rather have my attorney fight that (I bought my M5 with 3K miles, who knows what bad man owned it? lol) with no physical evidence than the certain evidence of a tune. With a tune, there is no plausible deniability.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #43
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

I've ran many JB4 on many platforms and done lots of testing for Terry. ECM showing boost mods...no, not if setup properly.

The DME would never know boost was changed, if you cross over boost safety or set codes that remain in memory that you did not clear BMW would see it. Even if they went into load the data would be inclusive

I've had an F90 with BMW for over 3 weeks in one visit, they sent data back to Germany, brought out 2 factory reps, and they did not find any signs of a "piggyback" - Their own terms in writing on the RO. The issue was unrelated but they didnt agree. I know first hand BMW cannot find the JB4 if you cover your tracks properly. - They will look at connectors too, for broken or odd wear from people installing piggybacks.

BMW also made it clear they search the forms for customers who submit large warranty claims and check their history of mods, which is why I no longer use my old forum name. Lastly they told me using launch control more than 10 times is considered abuse in their mind. - I fought this and they offered to "solve" any issue.

The same dealer I use put a motor for a customer when it failed (not F90) the bill was footed but Carbahn. Chris at Carbahn offered to share proof of warranty payments made.

I also asked the dealer about the "demo" and the DME showing a flash, and it can be a slippery slope but they have not had any issue as long as its documented and done by an approved BMW dealer.

Theirs also a lot of idiots out there who dont use good fuel, load the car up at low RPM, or truly abuse the car and think the warranty will cover them. Even a stock datalog on the F90 shows the need for more octane, especially in the warmer months. Even with the Jb4, run map 2 on a comp and you could be seeing 26psi, asking for problems on pump gas (which is why Terry now says 93+ octane needed). Most people dont take the time to learn duty bias and will just blame BMS...just like people do with other tuner companies. - For just as many horror stories their are positive stories, many people just arent as vocal when it has no negative impact on their life.

Quote:
Do a search but the stories are out there. As for a tune vs JB4, one can remove the JB4, one cannot remove the tune. And yes the ECM will still show the boost mods from a JB4 but I would rather have my attorney fight that (I bought my M5 with 3K miles, who knows what bad man owned it? lol) with no physical evidence than the certain evidence of a tune. With a tune, there is no plausible deniability.

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 06-29-2020 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      06-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #44
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

whats the claimed whp gain on this Carbahn tune?
Appreciate 0