BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Equalizers

11-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
xrays
Rep
Drives: 2019 m5 competition

Equalizers

Anyone know if the f90 M5 Harmon Kardon set up comes with equalizers or just treble/bass? Sound is terrible, i'm trying to tweak it. Just got a new m5.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:31 AM   #2
Pankrivoklat
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Equalizer
2019 BMW F90 M5 | 2014 Porsche 991 Carrera 2S | 2013 BMW F01 740dX | 2011 BMW E82 1M Coupe | 2008 BMW E70 X5 3.0d | 2003 BMW E46 M3 Coupe | 2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4 | 2000 BMW E39 535i | 1998 BMW E39 528i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
mmm5guy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

It does have an equalizer, but I can't get it to sound good, either. Super disappointed with the sound...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
PlayNskillz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C X7 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm5guy View Post
It does have an equalizer, but I can't get it to sound good, either. Super disappointed with the sound...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm5guy View Post
So disappointed with HK sound system. Sounds so shit. No bass at all!! Has any successfully managed to make it sound any better at all ?
      06-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNskillz View Post
So disappointed with HK sound system. Sounds so shit. No bass at all!! Has any successfully managed to make it sound any better at all ?
Yes, to the extent of what it can deliver... Let’s say that you won’t be able to blow window seals with the system but it becomes quite okay.

The biggest flaw in the whole system are the midrange door card speakers. The amp sends way to much bass to them so they badly distort and make the whole sound very bad.

To circumvent this, you need to cut a lot of frequency in the 200Hz area to around -5 to -6 in the equalizer.

To compensate for that loss, you need to boost the 100Hz and 500Hz more than you would normally.

The equalizer frequencies past 500Hz you can adjust to taste.

I also add quite a bit of the general bass boost.

I don’t use the Logic7 to get the most bass of the system.

I can actually feel the bass at highway speed on most songs. Old rock & roll recordings are the ones that still struggles to have good bass on top of the general lower output volume.

The equalizer picture look really clunky with the big 100 and 500Hz boost and the big 200Hz drop but it seems to work plus the added benefit of being able to feel the bass and having a lot less distortion coming from the door cards midrange speakers.

I’ll post my setup soon but I anticipate folks reacting and tell that this EQ setup doesn’t make sense. Works for me.
      06-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Yes, to the extent of what it can deliver... Let’s say that you won’t be able to blow window seals with the system but it becomes quite okay.

The biggest flaw in the whole system are the midrange door card speakers. The amp sends way to much bass to them so they badly distort and make the whole sound very bad.

To circumvent this, you need to cut a lot of frequency in the 200Hz area to around -5 to -6 in the equalizer.

To compensate for that loss, you need to boost the 100Hz and 500Hz more than you would normally.

The equalizer frequencies past 500Hz you can adjust to taste.

I also add quite a bit of the general bass boost.

I don’t use the Logic7 to get the most bass of the system.

I can actually feel the bass at highway speed on most songs. Old rock & roll recordings are the ones that still struggles to have good bass on top of the general lower output volume.

The equalizer picture look really clunky with the big 100 and 500Hz boost and the big 200Hz drop but it seems to work plus the added benefit of being able to feel the bass and having a lot less distortion coming from the door cards midrange speakers.

I’ll post my setup soon but I anticipate folks reacting and tell that this EQ setup doesn’t make sense. Works for me.

I agree the system does sound good but you have to EQ it. Also, the format/ quality of the recording does make a big difference. One of the problems with the car is its not an audio vault per se.

On the main... kick the front/rear fader to the back by 2-4 boxes
The main bass and treble try it maxed out then go down ( i think i'm 3 indications from the max of both) to suit your tastes. For some songs it too much bass and the highs are too high.

xrays
mmm5guy
Pankrivoklat

My EQ - Let me know if you like it... the 500/200 range is key for this sytem
Attached Images

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 06-19-2020 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      07-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I agree the system does sound good but you have to EQ it. Also, the format/ quality of the recording does make a big difference. One of the problems with the car is its not an audio vault per se.

On the main... kick the front/rear fader to the back by 2-4 boxes
The main bass and treble try it maxed out then go down ( i think i'm 3 indications from the max of both) to suit your tastes. For some songs it too much bass and the highs are too high.

xrays
mmm5guy
Pankrivoklat

My EQ - Let me know if you like it... the 500/200 range is key for this sytem
I have tried this and it does enhance the bass. I like it!
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
I have tried this and it does enhance the bass. I like it!
Awesome
Appreciate 0