BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Ok, the brake squeaks and it is down right annoying!!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
M5 dude now
Private
40
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M5 competition
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ok, the brake squeaks and it is down right annoying!!

I know we have had this on the forum before about the brakes but this is getting down right ridiculous. Had some friends in my car the other day and when I came to a stop it sounded like some one was honking at me. My friends were like, "who the hell is honking at you", it my brakes. WTF? Almost every time i come to a stop, I hear this freaking annoying screeching, honking or squealing sound. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I am actually thinking of getting rid of this car because of it. Never have I had a car that does this. I have many M cars, this is a first.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
josec70
Brigadier General
1516
Rep
3,693
Posts

Drives: 19' SG M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 dude now View Post
I know we have had this on the forum before about the brakes but this is getting down right ridiculous. Had some friends in my car the other day and when I came to a stop it sounded like some one was honking at me. My friends were like, "who the hell is honking at you", it my brakes. WTF? Almost every time i come to a stop, I hear this freaking annoying screeching, honking or squealing sound. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I am actually thinking of getting rid of this car because of it. Never have I had a car that does this. I have many M cars, this is a first.
Keep the car ... get rid of the pads. Problem solved ..
__________________
19' M5C SG
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Neptune7
Lieutenant
374
Rep
517
Posts

Drives: F90 M5C
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

It sounds like there are two options to avoiding squeaks:

1) Order car with carbon ceramic brakes - almost no one is reporting issues on the F90 with CCBs.
2) Replace OEM pads on steels.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2381
Rep
5,148
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

I have the irons with no squeaks. But I bedded the pads on day one. Glazing occurs when one likes to coast to a stop over and over which leads to the BS noises.
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
156
Rep
426
Posts

Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 dude now View Post
I know we have had this on the forum before about the brakes but this is getting down right ridiculous. Had some friends in my car the other day and when I came to a stop it sounded like some one was honking at me. My friends were like, "who the hell is honking at you", it my brakes. WTF? Almost every time i come to a stop, I hear this freaking annoying screeching, honking or squealing sound. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I am actually thinking of getting rid of this car because of it. Never have I had a car that does this. I have many M cars, this is a first.
The loud brake squeal noise and crazy black brake dust is due to the cheap oem pads they use.........I had the issues and fixed it by replacing the pads with Porterfields r4s street pads...just call them and order direct.....now I have zero squeal and less dust

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/c...reet/R4-S.html
__________________
2019 F90 M5 Competition-Marina Bay Blue-B&W, tints,HRE 21" FF04,BMS Spacers,BBMR Side Skirts,BMC Filters,Sprint Booster,CarbonPro spoiler,Escort 360/ZW5.
2013 Lamborghini Aventador-Pearl Green-Modified
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White

Last edited by Steeve19M5CP; 10-04-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
windtendo
Major
windtendo's Avatar
837
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Oh lord, yet another brake squeak thread... we need a few more.
Appreciate 1
josec701515.50

      10-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
M5 dude now
Private
40
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M5 competition
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
The loud brake squeal noise and crazy black brake dust is due to the cheap oem pads they use.........I had the issues and fixed it by replacing the pads with Porterfields r4s street pads...just call them and order direct.....now I have zero squeal and less dust

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/c...reet/R4-S.html
Thanks for the information
I will give it a try
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:17 PM   #8
clutchdj
Major
526
Rep
1,273
Posts

Drives: a few cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the lower outskirts of nYc

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
The loud brake squeal noise and crazy black brake dust is due to the cheap oem pads they use.........I had the issues and fixed it by replacing the pads with Porterfields r4s street pads...just call them and order direct.....now I have zero squeal and less dust

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/c...reet/R4-S.html
The oem pagid pads are not “cheap” as in poor quality, it’s just they way they perform on iron rotors, especially since the rotors are cross drilled and not slotted. I’ve had street pagids on other cars and they’re all pretty dusty, but they do bite and can handle a fair amount of heat. The pagids are an aggressive street/light auto cross duty pad. Bmw probably put them on because the car is fast for what it is. Anyone ever run hawk hp+ pads :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:46 PM   #9
windtendo
Major
windtendo's Avatar
837
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have the irons with no squeaks. But I bedded the pads on day one. Glazing occurs when one likes to coast to a stop over and over which leads to the BS noises.
This is 100% the reason we have all of these steel brake squeal threads... The OEM pads are soft, which perform great. The downside is for those who perform gingerly stops on a daily basis, glazing occurs. Only solution is to buy harder pads (ie ACG Kevlar pads), or start braking super aggressively all the time. At this point, it's a KNOWN ISSUE with the F90. There's several threads on each page of this forum on it.
__________________
IG @windtendo_m5
Appreciate 1
clutchdj525.50

      10-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #10
jsf721
Second Lieutenant
United_States
137
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Have the car washed and pressure wash then clean wheels , brakes and rotors the well. Once dry. Drive to 50 mph and come to an abrupt stop. Not panic breaking but hard braking. Repeat 2-3 times and hopefully that helps. The M brakes like and need to bite hard to avoid glazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #11
ambletx
Private
44
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Have the car washed and pressure wash then clean wheels , brakes and rotors the well. Once dry. Drive to 50 mph and come to an abrupt stop. Not panic breaking but hard braking. Repeat 2-3 times and hopefully that helps. The M brakes like and need to bite hard to avoid glazing.
FWIW, I did this exact thing after BMW cleaned and chamfered my pads. The squeaks came back though after about 100 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
156
Rep
426
Posts

Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

My squeaking started after a few back to back extremely hard braking sessions...my guess is it glazed after this and never recovered......thankfully the Porterfields(acg relabel) put this issue behind us.......my estimate is there is 50% less dust.........still dusty but better......
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
M5 dude now
Private
40
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M5 competition
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
My squeaking started after a few back to back extremely hard braking sessions...my guess is it glazed after this and never recovered......thankfully the Porterfields(acg relabel) put this issue behind us.......my estimate is there is 50% less dust.........still dusty but better......
I complained about this last week to the local BMW dealership. The dealership made a request to BMW North America. I am set up to replace the brakes on the 14th. I am not as knowledgeable as many of you guys on the this forum so I really appreciate when I get advice, recommendations so forth. I don't know that replacing the brakes with the same brakes (new) will help but if they are willing to do it at no cost I feel its worth a shot. If it does not help, I will look into replacing them with Porterfields.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
M135iXdriver's Avatar
Switzerland
144
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
My squeaking started after a few back to back extremely hard braking sessions...my guess is it glazed after this and never recovered......thankfully the Porterfields(acg relabel) put this issue behind us.......my estimate is there is 50% less dust.........still dusty but better......
I thought hard (panic) braking should only be avoided the first let's say 250 miles - and afaik what always should be avoided are those long braking times... let's say braking with about 20% of force for a longer time while going down hill.

Long story short, in what situation were you that your brakes glazed... for sure you were not in the first hundred miles... or were you?
__________________
2019 - BMW M5C MY2019 (Individual Urban Green)
2016 - VW Passat B8 2.0 TSI (276 bhp) R-Line (sold)
2013 - BMW M135i xDrive (sold)
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #15
SSM5
Private First Class
54
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 dude now View Post
I complained about this last week to the local BMW dealership. The dealership made a request to BMW North America. I am set up to replace the brakes on the 14th. I am not as knowledgeable as many of you guys on the this forum so I really appreciate when I get advice, recommendations so forth. I don't know that replacing the brakes with the same brakes (new) will help but if they are willing to do it at no cost I feel its worth a shot. If it does not help, I will look into replacing them with Porterfields.
Are they replacing pads and rotors ?
__________________

2019 M5 Executive Pack, Driving Assistance Plus, B & W, 20's, Black Kidneys, Black Tips & Emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
wgallaher
New Member
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 Comp, Porsche 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sonoma County

iTrader: (0)

I have a GT3 with carbon brakes (PCCBs) and they are the loudest things in the world for whats it worth. My m5 has steels and hasn't made a sound yet. I agree with some others here, i also have noticed water will shut them up for a while until they get dirty again. I had a z06 with carbons too and it never made a sound and an s6 with steels that squeaked. Doesn't bother me too much for the most part, when your driving hard it's the least of my concerns, i guess around town maybe it an annoyance, but probably more for those on the sidewalk.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Archimedes65
Private First Class
Archimedes65's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Monterey

iTrader: (0)

You don't need to full on panic brake to clean the rotors. Just concentrate on not dragging the brakes slowly into gentle stops. Stay off the brakes longer and then brake firmly. I had squeaky iron rotors on a Cayman S and this worked every time. Eventually, the squeaks went away entirely. I also had carbon ceramics on my 911 C2S and they were dead quiet, never so much as a squeal.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
Archimedes65
Private First Class
Archimedes65's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Monterey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Anyone ever run hawk hp+ pads :-)
I ran Hawk ceramics on a Audi to reduce dust and they were horrible. Awful stopping power, particularly when cold. Cold they literally struggled to stop the car backing out of the driveway. I took them off and threw them away.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #19
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
156
Rep
426
Posts

Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M135iXdriver View Post
Long story short, in what situation were you that your brakes glazed... for sure you were not in the first hundred miles... or were you?
I was racing a new AMG E63 for a long time after the breakin period ...multiple 100+MPH runs with major complete stops
__________________
2019 F90 M5 Competition-Marina Bay Blue-B&W, tints,HRE 21" FF04,BMS Spacers,BBMR Side Skirts,BMC Filters,Sprint Booster,CarbonPro spoiler,Escort 360/ZW5.
2013 Lamborghini Aventador-Pearl Green-Modified
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #20
clutchdj
Major
526
Rep
1,273
Posts

Drives: a few cars
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the lower outskirts of nYc

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes65 View Post
I ran Hawk ceramics on a Audi to reduce dust and they were horrible. Awful stopping power, particularly when cold. Cold they literally struggled to stop the car backing out of the driveway. I took them off and threw them away.
Yeah, hence the :-) in my post.

Hawk HP+ pads are a different animal though; pretty sure you are referring to the middle tier hawk.. that actually stop worse than most stock pads. why hawk still produces those pads I have no idea.

HP+ are not for the people that whine over brake dust. They squeal like pigs. true auto x pads. awesome pads. Wheels will be black in one day. But back on topic.. a few folks already said it. bedding stock pads in is key. They are noisy stop light to stop light but I don't care. I think brake noise is all relative

Sonax full effect wheel cleaner does a very good job emulsifying all that shit off the wheels before a good wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #21
dardeca
Major
dardeca's Avatar
United_States
391
Rep
1,220
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (2)

Mine did it for the first 1000 miles or so, but have since largely stopped squeaking.
__________________
E92 M3 Supplemental manual p.38: "The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC."
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #22
M5 dude now
Private
40
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M5 competition
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Corpus Christi

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Had appointment today with dealership to have techs check the squeaking brakes. Tech said they are definitely making honking and squeaking sounds but that is normal operations for these discs. No work needed on brakes I was told. All normal. I guess I just will turn up my radio louder to drown out the stupid noises.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST