BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Finally!! I swapped my F90 H&R Springs for M550i's!! Pics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #67
Hockeytyme
Captain
Hockeytyme's Avatar
498
Rep
746
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5C
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Weight is close but as you stated the rates could be higher on the M5 but then again these are aftermarket springs not OEM where we could check part numbers on the F90 vs the G30. The dampers really have alot of control here and Im actually down to Sport now vs. Sport Plus because the drop is more aggressive than stock or the F90 H&R's.

prodigymb

Id say its more bouncy on bad undulations for sure as the compression and rebound distances have been reduced and that hinders the damper. But the gain in form is great and in reality the OEM springs are bouncy too IMHO. On flat surfaces- the springs are great in Sport and the car feels fine.
I agree, the rebound is kinda bouncy so you have to be careful on faster roads with transitions to bridges and things that will bounce you up. On flat ground there is pretty nice and the compression is good overall.
__________________
DME: 1848 DA 0-60 2.42 -- 1/8 Mile 6.38 -- 1/4 Mile 9.89 -- 60-130 5.91
Evolve: 1418 DA 0-60 2.48 -- 1/8 Mile 6.47 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.48
JB4: 1096 DA 0-60 2.54 -- 1/8 Mile 6.50 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.18
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #68
Used2be
Perennial PFC
Used2be's Avatar
United_States
169
Rep
1,034
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
100% M550i springs.
I misunderstood then, I thought you meant stock M550i springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #69
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2383
Rep
5,152
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I misunderstood then, I thought you meant stock M550i springs.
No--- 100% H&R's which drop the car 1.3/1.2
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #70
prodigymb
Lieutenant
178
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: F90 M5, 997TT, 911SC, 958D
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Why would the ride be stiffer? Stock 550i springs for a car that probably weighs slightly less than the M5, and isn't a performance model from BMW, would more than likely have a lower spring rate.
couldnt tell if serious or trolling. these are not stock bmw springs. they are H&R that are meant for the 550
__________________
997TT 6MT - 205 mph 1/2 Mile , 165 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.8 100-150 mph , 1350whp E85 , 875whp on 93
F90 M5
911SC
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #71
Used2be
Perennial PFC
Used2be's Avatar
United_States
169
Rep
1,034
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
couldnt tell if serious or trolling. these are not stock bmw springs. they are H&R that are meant for the 550
Very definitely serious. I misunderstood Vic's description of the springs as "!00% M550i" to mean they were stock M550i springs. If he had said H&R for the M550i I wouldn't have been confused.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #72
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2383
Rep
5,152
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Very definitely serious. I misunderstood Vic's description of the springs as "!00% M550i" to mean they were stock M550i springs. If he had said H&R for the M550i I wouldn't have been confused.
Yeah I can see where you would have inferred as such. I guess because of so many others pushing me to get the H&R M550i's that I just figured most, if not all, would have known.

Anyways, Im glad we got it cleared it up. If you are on the fence, I would say "go for it!!!!"
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #73
Ehloo
Captain
333
Rep
764
Posts

Drives: 15 x5 m
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Posting this on the f90 forums cause the f92 m8 forums is extremely slow

So am I am looking to lower my m8. Car is too new for any released parts. HR has a M850i spring already and kw has a gas kit for the M850i also. I am concerned with too much drop with the HR. But as reading all these forums assuming the f90 chassis is that similar to the f92 I’m feeling I might take the risk. Or do you think the KW HAS would be a better option of height is an issue.

Sorry looking for advice. There is like 5 members on the 8 and m8 forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Yeah I can see where you would have inferred as such. I guess because of so many others pushing me to get the H&R M550i's that I just figured most, if not all, would have known.

Anyways, Im glad we got it cleared it up. If you are on the fence, I would say "go for it!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #74
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
r33_RGSport's Avatar
United_States
4994
Rep
13,226
Posts

Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Posting this on the f90 forums cause the f92 m8 forums is extremely slow

So am I am looking to lower my m8. Car is too new for any released parts. HR has a M850i spring already and kw has a gas kit for the M850i also. I am concerned with too much drop with the HR. But as reading all these forums assuming the f90 chassis is that similar to the f92 I’m feeling I might take the risk. Or do you think the KW HAS would be a better option of height is an issue.

Sorry looking for advice. There is like 5 members on the 8 and m8 forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Yeah I can see where you would have inferred as such. I guess because of so many others pushing me to get the H&R M550i's that I just figured most, if not all, would have known.

Anyways, Im glad we got it cleared it up. If you are on the fence, I would say "go for it!!!!"
I would say HAS would be better.
Because worst case scenario, you'll be able to adjust it to the way you like it.

But, not sure is the KW HAS for M850iX will fit due to the spring perch diameter.
I may have to do more research for you.
__________________
Email: sales@rgsport.com === IG: RGSport_USA
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #75
Ehloo
Captain
333
Rep
764
Posts

Drives: 15 x5 m
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

If the spring perch is different sizing that would mean the HR M850i springs wouldn’t fit also right


Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I would say HAS would be better.
Because worst case scenario, you'll be able to adjust it to the way you like it.

But, not sure is the KW HAS for M850iX will fit due to the spring perch diameter.
I may have to do more research for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #76
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
r33_RGSport's Avatar
United_States
4994
Rep
13,226
Posts

Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
If the spring perch is different sizing that would mean the HR M850i springs wouldn’t fit also right


Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I would say HAS would be better.
Because worst case scenario, you'll be able to adjust it to the way you like it.

But, not sure is the KW HAS for M850iX will fit due to the spring perch diameter.
I may have to do more research for you.
Call me on Monday. I'll explain to you.
They are different.
__________________
Email: sales@rgsport.com === IG: RGSport_USA
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:51 PM   #77
p.mf10
Private
Canada
15
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Hey Vic,
have the same front lip as you and looking into lowering my car with M550i springs as well. Have you had any issues with the front lip scraping often ?
__________________
.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #78
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2383
Rep
5,152
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.mf10 View Post
Hey Vic,
have the same front lip as you and looking into lowering my car with M550i springs as well. Have you had any issues with the front lip scraping often ?
None at all but I do have pretty good roads where I live without a lot of weird angled drive ways when going places.
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
p.mf1014.50

      03-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #79
IncurveWheels
IncurveWheels's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

did you receive any warning messages? i'm receiving a "chassis warning, continued driving still possible" message.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #80
Hockeytyme
Captain
Hockeytyme's Avatar
498
Rep
746
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5C
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncurveWheels View Post
did you receive any warning messages? i'm receiving a "chassis warning, continued driving still possible" message.
Turn around and go back. They did something wrong and need to redo it. Probably have to pull the seat and redo one of the rear springs
__________________
DME: 1848 DA 0-60 2.42 -- 1/8 Mile 6.38 -- 1/4 Mile 9.89 -- 60-130 5.91
Evolve: 1418 DA 0-60 2.48 -- 1/8 Mile 6.47 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.48
JB4: 1096 DA 0-60 2.54 -- 1/8 Mile 6.50 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.18
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #81
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2383
Rep
5,152
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncurveWheels View Post
did you receive any warning messages? i'm receiving a "chassis warning, continued driving still possible" message.
None here ever. As Hockeytyme stated, bad install.

r33_RGSport
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #82
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
r33_RGSport's Avatar
United_States
4994
Rep
13,226
Posts

Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncurveWheels View Post
did you receive any warning messages? i'm receiving a "chassis warning, continued driving still possible" message.
Installation problem there.
Here are the possibilities:
- Leveling sensor got damaged or unhooked
- EDC connector didn't properly plugged in
- G sensor got damaged or not plugged in

I may miss some, but those are what I remember currently.
__________________
Email: sales@rgsport.com === IG: RGSport_USA
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #83
IncurveWheels
IncurveWheels's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Turn around and go back. They did something wrong and need to redo it. Probably have to pull the seat and redo one of the rear springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
None here ever. As Hockeytyme stated, bad install.

r33_RGSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Installation problem there.
Here are the possibilities:
- Leveling sensor got damaged or unhooked
- EDC connector didn't properly plugged in
- G sensor got damaged or not plugged in

I may miss some, but those are what I remember currently.
Appreciate the response - had it on the lift and all connectors looked ok but going to take the rear section apart and check again. Was riding fine and then all of a sudden came on. I had called H&R direct and they said they were unsure but could be due to the springs not being made for this specific car - so we shall see - hope it's something simple.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #84
euro*
.
euro*'s Avatar
Canada
504
Rep
806
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncurveWheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Turn around and go back. They did something wrong and need to redo it. Probably have to pull the seat and redo one of the rear springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
None here ever. As Hockeytyme stated, bad install.

r33_RGSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Installation problem there.
Here are the possibilities:
- Leveling sensor got damaged or unhooked
- EDC connector didn't properly plugged in
- G sensor got damaged or not plugged in

I may miss some, but those are what I remember currently.
Appreciate the response - had it on the lift and all connectors looked ok but going to take the rear section apart and check again. Was riding fine and then all of a sudden came on. I had called H&R direct and they said they were unsure but could be due to the springs not being made for this specific car - so we shall see - hope it's something simple.
Did you have problems as soon as you installed the springs? I remember seeing something like the car drove very bad by your description. Maybe the malfunction is related to that also?

Also, scan the car, it will give you exact code and why it's on, which can better guide you to where something is wrong
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST