BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Car Wash?!

06-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Car Wash?!

Being that this is my DD and I will not have the time to go to a hand wash all the time and kill an hour or so, have you guys ever run her through?! On a positive note, I am building a new office building right across the street from the local car wash, so I think i'll leave it there for the day for and make a special hand was deal w/ owner. HOWEVER, it won't be completed till at least fall '19...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Can you hire a local mobile car wash guy? The condos where I live contracted with a guy that hand washes cars. He does a great job, even 2 bucket method and behind the wheels, under hood, etc., upon request
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLife345M View Post
Can you hire a local mobile car wash guy? The condos where I live contracted with a guy that hand washes cars. He does a great job, even 2 bucket method and behind the wheels, under hood, etc., upon request
Yes, great idea! I'll talk to owner of car wash, as his new neighbor, and ask if he can send somebody over to my current office in same town.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
I used to take my F10 through the car wash. The one I went to was a conveyor belt so there were no rails to cause any damage to the rims. That was my only concern.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I use brushless, touchless self service car wash and it works great.

With the Ceramic Pro treatment it comes out clean with the economy wash. Doing it my self at home is always preferred, but agree it takes an hour or so. Glad I'll never need to wax this huge car.

I have used the local 'super car wash' once or twice. They have microfilament brushes and originally had a convey belt system which was touchless but that system was replaced with the old type of rail and cog and I have not gone back since. You are pretty dependent on the attendant guiding you into the rail system otherwise you'll rub your rims against the rail.

I'd rather leave the car dirty until I have time to wash it than risk the car wash. The non-touchless systems with the microfilament brushes do a great job but it's only as safe as the maintenance record for their setup.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

Agree ceramic pro and a laserwash works well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
I used to take my F10 through the car wash. The one I went to was a conveyor belt so there were no rails to cause any damage to the rims. That was my only concern.
Agreed, I've had that issue w/ my '99 M3 on then massive '17s. lol
All the local washes have a plastic coating on the rails to prevent curb rash.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:02 AM   #8
jjjjjjjjjjjjj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I'd suggest getting ceramic coating and only use touchless car washing if it's dirty and then drive around with 60+ km/h so air get rids of most water - then you can just dry the remaining water. I'd suggest not "wiping it" just "pating" with high quality drying towel. This way you won't scratch your paint with remaining dirt ( touchless car wash will not clean your car in 100% and there will be always some micro elements)

If your ceramic coating will be "blocked" by dirt and car won't be hydrophobic in some spots then just find detailing car studio, ask them to wash it and load fresh SiO2 to make it work again ( will need that maybe once in a 2-3 months and cost like 50$ )

Doing it - your car will look great even after years and what's more you will really need only like 5 minutes on touchless washing spot and after driving around like few minutes ( maybe drive to home ) just few minutes to dry remaining water drops. And with good ceramic coating you will have to do it maybe once a week to remain "new car" look.

Attached is photo of my old car after 2 years of picking it up and day after touchless cleaning. The high light from sun destroys a photo a bit but you get a point from overall look. Just straight water+shampoo program and then water to rinse off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjjjjjjjjjj View Post
I'd suggest getting ceramic coating and only use touchless car washing if it's dirty and then drive around with 60+ km/h so air get rids of most water - then you can just dry the remaining water. I'd suggest not "wiping it" just "pating" with high quality drying towel. This way you won't scratch your paint with remaining dirt ( touchless car wash will not clean your car in 100% and there will be always some micro elements)

If your ceramic coating will be "blocked" by dirt and car won't be hydrophobic in some spots then just find detailing car studio, ask them to wash it and load fresh SiO2 to make it work again ( will need that maybe once in a 2-3 months and cost like 50$ )

Doing it - your car will look great even after years and what's more you will really need only like 5 minutes on touchless washing spot and after driving around like few minutes ( maybe drive to home ) just few minutes to dry remaining water drops. And with good ceramic coating you will have to do it maybe once a week to remain "new car" look.

Attached is photo of my old car after 2 years of picking it up and day after touchless cleaning. The high light from sun destroys a photo a bit but you get a point from overall look. Just straight water+shampoo program and then water to rinse off.
I was thinking of a 3M film, will look into ceramic as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
jjjjjjjjjjjjj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
I was thinking of a 3M film, will look into ceramic as well...
3M film will be the best option if you want to secure car - there's no better solution for that. It will still look great and since latest PPF's generation they also include hydrophobic layer.

What's even better with PPF - if you let's say give your car to bad car wash by mistake it's really hard for them to destroy it with bad washing technique as it's having the "self-healing" feauture so you will just have to put your car on sun/or just put some buckets of hot water on it and the film will regenerate. It will get rid of most easy scratches from washing and even the ones from little stones on road. But the price will probably be like 5-6k$ minimum.

Ceramic coating is not as safe as ppf. Just that ceramic coating have bigger depth and helps car look better but if you're not freak you will barely see difference
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
3M film will be the best option if you want to secure car - there's no better solution for that. It will still look great and since latest PPF's generation they also include hydrophobic layer.

What's even better with PPF - if you let's say give your car to bad car wash by mistake it's really hard for them to destroy it with bad washing technique as it's having the "self-healing" feauture so you will just have to put your car on sun/or just put some buckets of hot water on it and the film will regenerate. It will get rid of most easy scratches from washing and even the ones from little stones on road. But the price will probably be like 5-6k$ minimum.

Ceramic coating is not as safe as ppf. Just that ceramic coating have bigger depth and helps car look better but if you're not freak you will barely see difference
I'll most likely go w/ the 3M, same as I have on my Maserati.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

With a Ceramic coating, I have find weekly washing can be a 10 minute job without ever touching the car.

Foam cannon soak and rinse with CR Spotless and then park and air dry in garage or drive off. Nothing touches the paint and the coating is not touched by a towel, mitt or hard car wash soaps and waxes. And no water spots or window cleaning.

Obviously, for a dirty car, will require some mitt work, but no drying towels to mar the finish. Touchless washes for winter or quick washes as needed. Unfortunately, many only do the dryer option when selecting the more premium wash options which also spray waxes and other crap which can diminish the ceramic effect.

Last edited by ksoze; 07-19-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Fegelein
Major
Rep

I think I wash or have washed by hand, until I put on a coating. Since receiving and seeing how amazing the SG looks, I can't see running her through one!
Reminds me of running my new '99 M3 through the wash first time, discovered curb rash when got home!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Fegelein
Major
Rep

So i've decided to go with the ceramic coating only for $1,500 instead of the 3M / Ceramic combo of $5,600. It's Cquartz finest PPF, my Indy one of few in state qualified for it. I feel the $5,600 is a little mcu to drop on a lease. I'm going to try and make every effort to have her hand washed, but what's been the coating experience w/ the carwashes? Local washes here, have two guys w/ brooms and powerwasher scrubbing and soaping down, before it's runs through. I'm thinking to not let them do it, especially since they use same brooms on others and the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Local washes here, have two guys w/ brooms and powerwasher scrubbing and soaping down, before it's runs through. I'm thinking to not let them do it, especially since they use same brooms on others and the wheels!
Noooooooooo!!!! Even if it was a brand new broom.
      07-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #16
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
With a Ceramic coating, I have find weekly washing can be a 10 minute job without ever touching the car.

Foam cannon soak and rinse with CR Spotless and then park and air dry in garage or drive off. Nothing touches the paint and the coating is not touched by a towel, mitt or hard car wash soaps and waxes. And no water spots or window cleaning.

Obviously, for a dirty car, will require some mitt work, but no drying towels to mar the finish. Touchless washes for winter or quick washes as needed. Unfortunately, many only do the dryer option when selecting the more premium wash options which also spray waxes and other crap which can diminish the ceramic effect.
This is what I do with my luxury cars.

Thinking about a F90, plan on PPF.

My weekly or every other weekly routine is foam the car, rinse it off, rinse with CR Spotless, drive it around community, let the remainder air dry. Task complete in 10 minutes or less.

It's worked well for me without PPF, hoping it will work even better with PPF.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

another thumbs up for coating. i used cquartz then when i do an actual wash i use foam cannon, very light quick wipe with a high quality mitt, then rinse and blow dry with an electric blower. looks perfect after and all that takes 30min. if i'm feeling like i want extreme shine i'll finish off with kenotek show room shine - takes about 5-10min to do the whole car. now if only someone would wash my wheels for me...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #18
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:

This looks STUNNING.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #19
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Noooooooooo!!!! Even if it was a brand new broom.
lol, I hear ya!!! I brought her to hand wash other day.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #20
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
another thumbs up for coating. i used cquartz then when i do an actual wash i use foam cannon, very light quick wipe with a high quality mitt, then rinse and blow dry with an electric blower. looks perfect after and all that takes 30min. if i'm feeling like i want extreme shine i'll finish off with kenotek show room shine - takes about 5-10min to do the whole car. now if only someone would wash my wheels for me...
Ha! I hear you about the wheels, but don't you at least spray them w/ cleaner and rinse off?
Please attach links to your cannon and blower, so I know what works and what to buy..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #21
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Any input on the equipment??
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Any input on the equipment??
Do you have a ceramic coat on your car and do you have a pressure washer? Those will affect the recommendations.
Appreciate 0