BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Exhaust/State Inspection Shop refused secondary DP install

12-27-2022, 06:50 AM   #1
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Exhaust/State Inspection Shop refused secondary DP install

Was surprised to learn they wouldn’t install. They lifted it and brought me in to look. They said this removes cats and could cost us a $10k fine and lost license. Said if car comes with 4 cats that’s how we have to leave it. No worries I’ll get into a custom shop to do it but was just hoping for a quick easy install on my day off yesterday at the one place open

I obviously knew it removed cats but guess I thought secondary wasn’t a “legal” issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Altering any emissions part is illegal. The point that has often been noted is that the car will pass OBD2 plug in emissions test with the secondary cats removed. It won’t pass visual test if the car is raised high enough for an inspector to look up into the back of the engine bay. I don’t know whether it would pass an exhaust sniffer test.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 12-27-2022 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #3
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Easy enough fix - Got an appointment Thursday at another shop to install - Excited!

I asked, "Any issue at all with removing the secondary cats." He said, "We gotcha on that - not a problem here."
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I guess I don’t pay attention but I’ve never seen a shop put a car on a lift as part of a state inspection lol. I just texted me friend who has a shop here in VA and does inspections and asked him if he lifts cars up for inspections and he said:

“I don’t. That seems like a lot of work.”

Lol.. did you have a CEL or something? If so that might explain the extra check.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #5
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I guess I don’t pay attention but I’ve never seen a shop put a car on a lift as part of a state inspection lol. I just texted me friend who has a shop here in VA and does inspections and asked him if he lifts cars up for inspections and he said:

“I don’t. That seems like a lot of work.”

Lol.. did you have a CEL or something? If so that might explain the extra check.
To clarify - I did not go to the shop for an inspection - I went there to have the downpipes installed. When they put it up on the lift to start, that's when they said they could not do it BECAUSE they could not delete this cats as an inspection shop - Agree - No one is going to look at this when I actually do go for inspection
Appreciate 0