F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stud Conversion
ARMA SPEED

01-16-2019, 04:37 AM   #1
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Stud Conversion

Looking to do a stud conversion.
Wondering if anyone else have done this and where you got the parts from?

Plan is also to fit spacers (12 / 15mm), so stud length needs to account for this.

My main questions therefore are:

Studs required: M14 x 1.25mm (Is this correct)?

What stud lengths have people used with up to 15mm spacers.

Quick search from suppliers of studs seem to show 82mm studs to be OK up to 20mm spacers, and 75mm studs being OK to use up to 12mm spacers. (Not quite enough for 15mm spacers).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

I think you mean bolts. If so standard bolts are 27mm so you need nearest fit to 39-42mm
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
I think you mean bolts. If so standard bolts are 27mm so you need nearest fit to 39-42mm
Nope, definitely mean stud.
2 ended stud bar. wind in to the hub. Throw away the bolts and replace with nuts.

Easier to fit wheels as studs assist with alignment. Also studs will hold spacers in place. Otherwise spacers will fall out each time a wheel is removed, and then its a pain trying to get it all aligned again. (Hub, spacer, wheel).

Conversion kits are around £60 / £70 for studs and nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Why do a stud conversion if you are also planning to fit spacers ? Good quality concentric spacers fit the hubs perfectly and will hold the weight of the wheel prior to inserting and torquing the bolts. Once they've been in place for a while they also do not spin on the hub - you don't lose the bolt hole alignment.

Two potential issues spring to mind with a stud conversion :

The studs are threaded along their entire length - you'd need to check that they are still fully engaged with the hub each time you refit your wheels.

There is a greater risk of damage to the inside of the wheel hubs as you offer them up to the bolts - you'll have to perfectly align 5 bolts. If you use a concentric spacer you simply push the wheel onto the spacer, ensure that the bolt holes are aligned, and fit/torque the bolts. All very easy.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
Nope, definitely mean stud.
2 ended stud bar. wind in to the hub. Throw away the bolts and replace with nuts.

Easier to fit wheels as studs assist with alignment. Also studs will hold spacers in place. Otherwise spacers will fall out each time a wheel is removed, and then its a pain trying to get it all aligned again. (Hub, spacer, wheel).

Conversion kits are around £60 / £70 for studs and nuts.
Aye, ok. Good luck with all that then.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OK, so no answers to my actual question. (What length studs are used for 12/15mm spacers).

There are various pro's / con's for each option (Stud / Bolt) and I personally believe for my use, studs offer a better solution than bolts.

OEM's mainly use bolts as they are cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
OK, so no answers to my actual question. (What length studs are used for 12/15mm spacers).

There are various pro's / con's for each option (Stud / Bolt) and I personally believe for my use, studs offer a better solution than bolts.

OEM's mainly use bolts as they are cheaper.
Maybe no answers because no-one who has read your post has done it ? Best route is to have the stud suppliers provide this information. Presumably you are sourcing from an automotive aftermarket supplier of these kits, in which case they should have this information for your specific vehicle, wheels and spacers.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I have a stud conversion on my E82 135i the main thing for me was that the studs look a bit untidy.. Unless you fit the long lug nut type nuts from mishimoto etc
Appreciate 0