BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Autocar Reports: F90 M5 gets 600hp S63, xDrive, 8 Speed Auto (ZF), 5 Driving Modes

03-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #133
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
M goes full RS Audi, trouble is they're better at that than BMW, so I really hope they don't do the ZF8 and a wet clutch xdrive system.

And M car deserves something more tactile/raw than that, hopefully it will still be DCT and they make the AWD system fit the M ethos rather than chase a headline 0-60 time, leave that to Audi.
You can be tactile and raw with AWD. It's not just about 0-60 times. It's about getting the power down all the time which the current M5 has issues with.

I'm sure this will be an excellent car, especially from an enthusiast perspective.
From an enthusiast stand point, the best M5 has and will be the E39 M5. The new M is just too fat to be anywhere close to the pure driving pleasure of that older M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #134
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

More tech for the sake of having more tech. Will it make the car any more fun to drive? Absolutely not.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #135
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I should have clarified, *REAL* M cars. The original M cars.

That said, the ZF 8 speed is a great transmission. Jag uses it on the F Type RS, and it nails every gear. I think it will all just come down to software tuning.
That non-real M car uses the same engine as the 'real' F10 M5 you're referring to, so I could argue that the X5/6M is just as much real as the F10 M5. I, personally, think 'real' M cars died with the E60 M5 & E9x M3. Just IMO; But that's the age we live in. Old tech dies.

*BUT* It will absolutely come down to tuning. BMW has always tuned their transmissions well. Jeep, on the other hand, has had numerous issues with their ZF transmissions that have gone through numerous recalls.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6026.00
      03-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #136
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
I was expecting at least 650hp.
Sure, at 600hp this thing is dangerously underpowered.
      03-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #137
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I guess my days exploring this part of the forums is over. AWD shit. Sucks because it really looked good.

Also, didn't the head of M say this wasn't happening? What a cocksucker.
Hey I agree with what you say but easy on the cock sucker hate.
      03-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #138
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Its amazing how time moves by so quickly.

It seems like just months ago, BMW stuck an M5 mule with a stick shift in california, to the delight of us 'purists.' (the last get car, which seemed like a gem and will be a bargain as resale plummets)

Now, M5xiA
      03-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #139
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
More tech for the sake of having more tech. Will it make the car any more fun to drive? Absolutely not.
Are you new to BMW? This is what they've always done. They build new cars for the sake of building new cars; they build entirely brand new engines for the sake of... building entirely brand new engines. That's what makes the brand premium, and that's one of the reasons they cost so much: Incredible amounts of R&D. If you wanted a stagnant brand, Toyota/Lexus, Honda, or Subaru might be more your speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #140
dba1t
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post
I just turned in my 2014 M5 for a 2017 X6M I went from the DCT to the Zf/Xdrive setup Granted, the X6M is a huge pig, but anyone who compares the performance of the double clutch to the ZF has never driven one after the other for extended periods The double clutch is SO superior it's not even close Don't believe what BMW is trying to tell you. There is nothing I miss more from my M5 than the tranny.

It's good, but it's not close to the double clutch. Trust me on this.
Agreed. A torque converter will water down the experience, no matter how well the transmission is tuned/programmed. The AMG E63 S uses an MCT, which removes the torque converter from the equation. It is a middle step between a pure automotic and DCT. Perhaps BMW will do something llike the MCT. Not perfect, but better.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #141
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba1t View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post
I just turned in my 2014 M5 for a 2017 X6M I went from the DCT to the Zf/Xdrive setup Granted, the X6M is a huge pig, but anyone who compares the performance of the double clutch to the ZF has never driven one after the other for extended periods The double clutch is SO superior it's not even close Don't believe what BMW is trying to tell you. There is nothing I miss more from my M5 than the tranny.

It's good, but it's not close to the double clutch. Trust me on this.
Agreed. A torque converter will water down the experience, no matter how well the transmission is tuned/programmed. The AMG E63 S uses an MCT, which removes the torque converter from the equation. It is a middle step between a pure automotic and DCT. Perhaps BMW will do something llike the MCT. Not perfect, but better.
MB's old 7G was absolutely horrible, but they seem to have fixed the complaints that people had about slow gear changes. The new 9G I hear is pretty darn responsive too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #142
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Are you new to BMW? This is what they've always done. They build new cars for the sake of building new cars; they build entirely brand new engines for the sake of... building entirely brand new engines. That's what makes the brand premium, and that's one of the reasons they cost so much: Incredible amounts of R&D. If you wanted a stagnant brand, Toyota/Lexus, Honda, or Subaru might be more your speed.
You don't know the first thing about me. There are ways to keep pushing the buck forward while allowing your cars to still feel communicative and have a soul, see Porsche, Ferrari, and Alfa Romeo.

Outside the M2 and M4, I can't say BMW's technological advances have done anything positive for the driving experience but produce faster lap times.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #143
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

I couldn't be more disappointed with the move away from DCT. As most people here have said, you just can't compare it to anything auto - even the Merc MCT feels very different (not as good). I do think, however, that the AWD will be less of an issue because you can make it 100% RWD so I think people are over-reacting to that.

While the move to ZF8 is surprising and extremely disappointing, what is truly SHOCKING to me is that this model, which will start as a 2018, will likely NOT be a hybrid electric (at least not in its base form - maybe the next cp or cs will have that) until at least 2026 if you assume that it won't change significantly through its lifecycle like all previous Ms. Most people here wanted more than another reworked S63 and that's what they should have done to be a leader and differentiate from the competition (like they used to back with the E60, E46, etc). All I can say is that this is very disappointing but I shouldn't be surprised, as most here know and agree that M has been disappointing us since the E60 and E46/E9x (depending on who you ask!).

And here I thought the next gen M3/M4 might have hybrid electric to get rid of the turbo lag. Now I am just hoping they will have a DCT!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #144
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Dual clutch can't handle high torque? How about these supercars? Hurancan is dual clutch right? GTR? 911 turbos? Or just bmw's dct sucks? Someone explain
Huracan does not make huge torque like turbo motors do.
911 turbo?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #145
Nar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I'm not even gonna read what all these 7 pages say. I'm gonna sit back, relax, and wait for official BMW released information or at least a more credible source
      03-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #146
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Lots of bitching and moaning pertaining to DCT vs ZF8. What about the clear, present, and all but confirmed debacle? No more driver engaging MT?
Appreciate 2
yousefnjr6184.50
      03-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #147
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
No they don't. The 8-speed PDK is a ZF unit. Porsche may have helped develop the 8-speed PDK with ZF but it's definitely not their own.
Oh damn you're right!
I figured since they're naming it "Porshce" doppelkupplungsgetriebe that it would be their own design and production since I remember reading an article about the history of Porsche and developing the PDK for motorsports.

Although after some research it seems that all PDK's are co-developed between ZF and Porsche.
      03-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #148
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Quote:
Okay folks.

1. This report is not confirmed.

2. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt BMW would invest in a DCT gearbox for the F10 just to drop it for the F90. BMW started planning the F90 the day the F10 was released. These cars are planned for YEARS.

3. I don't think we'll ever see a slushbox in an M car.

4. Did I mention this report is all hearsay and NOT official from BMW?
Too late. BMW already uses a torque converter transmission in the X5/6M. and it works perfectly fine.

People here act like this whole non-DCT thing is a new thing - it's not. I'm willing to bet most people here thought that the X5/6M had a DCT to begin with; Surprise!
I should have clarified, *REAL* M cars. The original M cars.

That said, the ZF 8 speed is a great transmission. Jag uses it on the F Type RS, and it nails every gear. I think it will all just come down to software tuning.
This.

I was about to post the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #149
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
Oh damn you're right!
I figured since they're naming it "Porshce" doppelkupplungsgetriebe that it would be their own design and production since I remember reading an article about the history of Porsche and developing the PDK for motorsports.

Although after some research it seems that all PDK's are co-developed between ZF and Porsche.
No worries. It's all just a bunch of marketing. BMW uses the "M-DCT" but the unit is a Getrag unit. A lot of people seem to think that manufacturers make their own unit (some do) but I find it strange when I'm reading this thread and I see "BMW should improve their transmissions to handle the torque". Improve what? BMW doesn't make the DCT in their M cars. They might calibrate the software but they have nothing to do with the actual hardware.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #150
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
No worries. It's all just a bunch of marketing. BMW uses the "M-DCT" but the unit is a Getrag unit. A lot of people seem to think that manufacturers make their own unit (some do) but I find it strange when I'm reading this thread and I see "BMW should improve their transmissions to handle the torque". Improve what? BMW doesn't make the DCT in their M cars. They might calibrate the software but they have nothing to do with the actual hardware.
Most people surely know that firms like GKN/Getrag/Ricardo/ZF etc... are making these transmissions/drivelines but they do that in conjunction with the vehicle manufacturers, they don't spend many millions on development without having a partner willing to buy it or one that at least thinks it's a good idea.

Lets take the MDCT gearbox from Getrag, which other brand takes that gearbox with the same ratios and control software?
      03-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #151
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

I was always torn between manual and dct. The zf auto would definitely make me go manual immediately...if only it were offered.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #152
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Lots of bitching and moaning pertaining to DCT vs ZF8. What about the clear, present, and all but confirmed debacle? No more driver engaging MT?
The order rate on manuals is just too low so I can understand that. The real confirmed debacle is that they are using a reworked S63 just to keep up with competition vs a hybrid electric to be a true leader in this segment. Merc will be using hybrid electric in its GTS sedan in 2020 and we will have to wait until at least 2025 for that setup. Huge mistake by BMW M that will put it years behind its competition very soon, which clearly doesn't align with its claim to be focused on being a tech leader going forward!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #153
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #154
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
nope its a brand new AWD/RWD system that will be first introduced into the M5. future M cars will adopt this new system also. its a M car man.. not a 120d xdrive lol.
You have no idea what the M system will be like is my point, hence my post that I "hope" it's totally different.

Which for some strange reason you took exception to and tried to argue with/educate me on from a position that gives you no clue.