E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shorter Shift Knob

01-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #45
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119
Hey is the knob weighted by any chance? I was thinking of ordering this with the Rogue Engineering SSK, but wanted to know if the knob is weighted. Thanks!

I ordered it and installed it and It's not weighted. There is a black OEM M-sport short-knob that's weighted (see post 26 of this thread), but not one in the stock chrome/black style. The short-knob in question has less leverage due to the shortness, and, IMHO, it made the box feel even more notchy with the reduced leverage. I ended up with a very short but very heavy non OEM knob, and it hit the spot. Had to reinstall the stock boot though, as the short boot is attached.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #46
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

How does it look installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3
I think I'll be switching to the M shift knob.....its weighted and even shorter too. plus there is no metal/plastic around the sides of the knob - its easier and nicer to grip this way. It also comes with the boot - see pic below:
I am going to order one today, thanks for the info--great help

01-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #47
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj
I ordered it and installed it and It's not weighted. There is a black OEM M-sport short-knob that's weighted (see post 26 of this thread), but not one in the stock chrome/black style. The short-knob in question has less leverage due to the shortness, and, IMHO, it made the box feel even more notchy with the reduced leverage. I ended up with a very short but very heavy non OEM knob, and it hit the spot. Had to reinstall the stock boot though, as the short boot is attached.
I just got the M knob myself - see the recent post on page 2 - and I am truly happy that I ordered the M-knob over my initial choice - the "shorter" version of the OEM one that comes w/ the car. The weight is great and I love the "feel" of the shifter now. Not as good as an actual shifter kit (which Rouge will be coming out with soon), but definitely much better than the older knob. The leather around the boot is definitely thicker and higher quality (this version has the boot attached) and there is no slippery aluminum/plastic around the knob - its really nice perforated leather. Sure the aluminum one is "classier" looking, but if ya love the driving more, the feel of the M sport knob is much better.
      01-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #48
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Did you use Crown Auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3
I just got the M knob myself - see the recent post on page 2 - and I am truly happy that I ordered the M-knob over my initial choice - the "shorter" version of the OEM one that comes w/ the car. The weight is great and I love the "feel" of the shifter now. Not as good as an actual shifter kit (which Rouge will be coming out with soon), but definitely much better than the older knob. The leather around the boot is definitely thicker and higher quality (this version has the boot attached) and there is no slippery aluminum/plastic around the knob - its really nice perforated leather. Sure the aluminum one is "classier" looking, but if ya love the driving more, the feel of the M sport knob is much better.
Did you order the M-shift knob from Crown? Thanks for the info--great help.
      01-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #49
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Circle BMW (OEM M-shift knob with boot attached like in post #26)--$104 + shipping
      09-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #50
Mpulse99
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 m3 & 06 E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
it reduces the throw in the shift. The lower the knob height, the shorter the distance your hand has to travel when you shift from gear-to-gear. You will definitely feel the shorter "throw". Plus, the M-knob is weighted so that gives you an even "firmer" shift feel.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but in reference to the M short shift knob.. Is it or is it not weighted, this forum rumors both??

anyone ask the stealers?
Appreciate 0