BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Break-in service - Is this real or just a dealer story?

11-12-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
robertf90
Rep
Drives: BMW F90

Break-in service - Is this real or just a dealer story?

Break-in service was recently done on my low mileage M5. The iDrive now shows oil service due 1 year after break-in service. I was expecting first oil service after break-in would be 1 year from the vehicle in service date which is what happened with my F80.

When I went back to the dealer to ask, my service writer got the shop foreman who told me they do not reset oil service during break-in service. They just hook up their diagnostic tool to deactivate running-in check. If the next service is due 1 year from now then that is what BMW wanted it to be. If the dealer wanted to reset oil service, they always do it from the cluster.

What do you think does this seem like accurate info or just another story?

By the way ISTA clearly says “Deactivate running-in check. Attention: Do not perform engine oil service CBS reset!”
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf90 View Post
Break-in service was recently done on my low mileage M5. The iDrive now shows oil service due 1 year after break-in service. I was expecting first oil service after break-in would be 1 year from the vehicle in service date which is what happened with my F80.

When I went back to the dealer to ask, my service writer got the shop foreman who told me they do not reset oil service during break-in service. They just hook up their diagnostic tool to deactivate running-in check. If the next service is due 1 year from now then that is what BMW wanted it to be. If the dealer wanted to reset oil service, they always do it from the cluster.

By the way ISTA clearly says “Deactivate running-in check. Attention: Do not perform engine oil service CBS reset!”

How long after you took delivery of your car, was the Run In Service carried out? Was it about 1 year?
      11-12-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf90 View Post

This could be correct. My break in service was performed at 1200 Miles and the car asked for oil change about 6K miles and 7-8 months after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 06:03 PM   #4
robertf90
Rep
Drives: BMW F90

M5 London, run in service occurred 5 months after delivery.
Appreciate 1
M5 London337.00