BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Help with driver profile / not saving settings

05-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
rs1987
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI, S1000XR

Help with driver profile / not saving settings

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm having an issue with a setting not being saved on my driver profile and hoping that I'm just overlooking something simple.

I have my driver profile setup and linked to my Connected Drive account. The car is set to recognize me with the key and the profile is setup to synchronize to the Connected Drive account.

I have the BMW speed camera service, as we have literally tens of thousands of the accursed things in the UK. I want the warnings to display in the HUD. This is configured using the Route Warnings option under Car-->Settings-->Displays-->Head Up Display-->Route Warnings, where there is an option to set it to either "Instrument Cluster" or "Heads Up Display".

On the weekend, I got into the car and I was puzzled, as the warning did not come up where I knew there is a camera. After a while, I noticed a warning in the instrument cluster. This is pretty useless to me, as it's easy to miss while driving. I checked the settings, saw that it was set to "Instrument Cluster" and duly changed it back to the HUD, thinking nothing of it.

Next time I got in the car, the same thing happened.

It appears that no matter what I do, this setting is overridden every time the car turns on or the driver profile changes. For example, if I change the profile to Guest and then back to my own profile, I'll need to reset the Route Warnings to HUD again.

I've tried everything: unlinking the key, unchecking the synchronize profile option, etc. Nothing fixes it and it's really starting to annoy me. I imagine it might happen with other settings too, but not that I've noticed.

Is there something simple I'm missing here, perhaps an option to lock the profile so it can't be changed that I've toggled and forgotten? about?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1987 View Post
I'm having an issue with a setting not being saved on my driver profile and hoping that I'm just overlooking something simple.

I have my driver profile setup and linked to my Connected Drive account. The car is set to recognize me with the key and the profile is setup to synchronize to the Connected Drive account.

I have the BMW speed camera service, as we have literally tens of thousands of the accursed things in the UK. I want the warnings to display in the HUD. This is configured using the Route Warnings option under Car-->Settings-->Displays-->Head Up Display-->Route Warnings, where there is an option to set it to either "Instrument Cluster" or "Heads Up Display".

On the weekend, I got into the car and I was puzzled, as the warning did not come up where I knew there is a camera. After a while, I noticed a warning in the instrument cluster. This is pretty useless to me, as it's easy to miss while driving. I checked the settings, saw that it was set to "Instrument Cluster" and duly changed it back to the HUD, thinking nothing of it.

Next time I got in the car, the same thing happened.

It appears that no matter what I do, this setting is overridden every time the car turns on or the driver profile changes. For example, if I change the profile to Guest and then back to my own profile, I'll need to reset the Route Warnings to HUD again.

I've tried everything: unlinking the key, unchecking the synchronize profile option, etc. Nothing fixes it and it's really starting to annoy me. I imagine it might happen with other settings too, but not that I've noticed.

Is there something simple I'm missing here, perhaps an option to lock the profile so it can't be changed that I've toggled and forgotten? about?
Hi Mate,
I cant believed you posted this today, as i posted the very same thing today as well.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828338.
The above is in relation to my M5, after i have set up the widgets on the second page of the home screen. Im doing it absolutely correctly, but it seems to keep loosing memory.
Now, on our X5, i have the speed camera app, i actually have this on both cars, but the M5 is unaffected with this problem, set up to show in HUD, but it seems to loose its memory, and then show in the instrument cluster. I then change it back to HUD, as you describe, under route warnings etc. I also have sport displays set to automatic in the X5, but that then changes itself to off. I dont feel its anything to do with the driver profiles..
Now, here is the spooky part. Ive studied this on both cars, and when the settings stick for a while, they do so on both cars. When they only last a couple of minutes, before changing themselves, they do so on both cars, its really weird and its driving me bonkers. .

Just to say, mine is a new LCI too. Did think about resetting/rebooting I Drive, but not sure how much i would loose of my settings, probably all of them, so you can have a go first .
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #3
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Mate,
I cant believed you posted this today, as i posted the very same thing today as well.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828338.
The above is in relation to my M5, after i have set up the widgets on the second page of the home screen. Im doing it absolutely correctly, but it seems to keep loosing memory.
Now, on our X5, i have the speed camera app, i actually have this on both cars, but the M5 is unaffected with this problem, set up to show in HUD, but it seems to loose its memory, and then show in the instrument cluster. I then change it back to HUD, as you describe, under route warnings etc. I also have sport displays set to automatic in the X5, but that then changes itself to off. I dont feel its anything to do with the driver profiles..
Now, here is the spooky part. Ive studied this on both cars, and when the settings stick for a while, they do so on both cars. When they only last a couple of minutes, before changing themselves, they do so on both cars, its really weird and its driving me bonkers. .

Just to say, mine is a new LCI too. Did think about resetting/rebooting I Drive, but not sure how much i would loose of my settings, probably all of them, so you can have a go first .
Hah, in some ways I'm reassured and in another way I'm now even more bothered. I was hoping it was a simple toggle switch, but based on the observed behaviour in your cars, it seems to be a problem with BMW's Connected Drive portal I'm guessing...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hah, in some ways I'm reassured and in another way I'm now even more bothered. I was hoping it was a simple toggle switch, but based on the observed behaviour in your cars, it seems to be a problem with BMW's Connected Drive portal I'm guessing...
What I have definitely verified on mine is that if I change profile, it will reset the settings. So I go from my profile to Guest and then back to my profile, and the Route Warning gets reset to Instrument Cluster.

Would be interesting to see if you can reproduce this Simon

PS: I did actually send an email to BMW customer service about this issue. I just replied to that email with a link to this thread. I'll post any reply I get from them if it's in any way helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:26 AM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
What I have definitely verified on mine is that if I change profile, it will reset the settings. So I go from my profile to Guest and then back to my profile, and the Route Warning gets reset to Instrument Cluster.

Would be interesting to see if you can reproduce this Simon

PS: I did actually send an email to BMW customer service about this issue. I just replied to that email with a link to this thread. I'll post any reply I get from them if it's in any way helpful.
Thanks very much buddy,
I will have a go with the profiles asap, and let you know. Im more bothered about the M5 screen pages loosing their memory, so ive mentioned it to my pal who has an M5, and we are going to set his pages up the same as mine, and see what happens. The X5 held its memory for the speed cameras in the HUD last night, but the screen pages has gone, so i checked the M5 screen pages, and guess what ?, they had gone too. It seems to be a connected drive problem, if i were to point the finger, but it only seems to be the minor settings. Im sure we will sort it, but just a bit frustrating at this point

Dont suppose you could try setting a page on the centre display, with the widgetts ?, and see what happens. Im choosing Engine Data, M Set up, Tyre Data, and sports dials ?. It looks great on the screen, apart from when it clears off .
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:25 AM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep

Ive checked the profile changes, and if i set the car up how i want, and go to guest profile, it changes to whatever the guest profile is, then when i change back to my own profile, it changes back to my settings, whilst its still holding the memory. This tells me that the profiles are working ok, and that the memory loss is being caused by something else ?, will try this a couple of more times too, and see what happens again.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did think about resetting/rebooting I Drive, but not sure how much i would loose of my settings, probably all of them, so you can have a go first .
Simon, just got off the phone with BMW. They gave me a procedure which caused the settings to stick on my named profile. They're still not sticking on my guest profile, but that isn't really an issue with me.

Their procedure preserves all of your current settings and does not erase them.

A. Hard reboot the head unit
  • Turn on the engine
  • Hold down the rotary volume button (located on the centre dash) for 30 seconds until the screen goes blank
  • When the screen comes back up, wait 2 minutes

B. Update Apps and Services
  • Menu --> Apps
  • Press the "Option" button next to the iDrive controller
  • Choose "Update Apps and Services"

That worked for me - my HUD setting stuck and flipping profiles did not erase the setting.

Whether the setting will still stick after 24 hours, only time will tell.

Settings on the Guest profile still do not stick for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Simon, just got off the phone with BMW. They gave me a procedure which caused the settings to stick on my named profile. They're still not sticking on my guest profile, but that isn't really an issue with me.

Their procedure preserves all of your current settings and does not erase them.

A. Hard reboot the head unit
  • Turn on the engine
  • Hold down the rotary volume button (located on the centre dash) for 30 seconds until the screen goes blank
  • When the screen comes back up, wait 2 minutes

B. Update Apps and Services
  • Menu --> Apps
  • Press the "Option" button next to the iDrive controller
  • Choose "Update Apps and Services"

That worked for me - my HUD setting stuck and flipping profiles did not erase the setting.

Whether the setting will still stick after 24 hours, only time will tell.

Settings on the Guest profile still do not stick for me.
Fantastic, thanks, will give this a shot. Did all your other settings for the car remain, or was there a lot of resetting going on afterwards ?, thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #9
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fantastic, thanks, will give this a shot. Did all your other settings for the car remain, or was there a lot of resetting going on afterwards ?, thanks for the info
It did not appear to change any of my settings, so no resetting of anything needed
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      05-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
It did not appear to change any of my settings, so no resetting of anything needed
Thanks again. Let me know if it holds the settings after the rebooting and app update
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again. Let me know if it holds the settings after the rebooting and app update
I left it almost 24 hours and the setting has stuck. It did not do that previously, so touch-wood the procedure BMW suggested seems to have worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I left it almost 24 hours and the setting has stuck. It did not do that previously, so touch-wood the procedure BMW suggested seems to have worked.
Hi Mate, i thought we had cracked it, but for me, not so, yet. I rebooted the X5, last night, and all was well until about an hour ago, then same thing happened, it lost its memory. I rebooted the M5 this morning, thinking we had it sorted, and that lasted a couple of hours before loosing its memory. Whats really strange, is that as soon as i noticed the X5 memory loss, and i checked it every hour, i jumped straight into the M5, and that had lost it too, something is just not right. Im wondering if we need the latest software upgrade, but the M5 is only a month old ?. Will be reverting to dealer now, as its becoming most frustrating, and my wife has now got two black eyes . Would you let me know how yours gets on ?, thanks Buddy .

Also this https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828998

Last edited by Simon H; 05-26-2021 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #13
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mate, i thought we had cracked it, but for me, not so, yet. I rebooted the X5, last night, and all was well until about an hour ago, then same thing happened, it lost its memory. I rebooted the M5 this morning, thinking we had it sorted, and that lasted a couple of hours before loosing its memory. Whats really strange, is that as soon as i noticed the X5 memory loss, and i checked it every hour, i jumped straight into the M5, and that had lost it too, something is just not right. Im wondering if we need the latest software upgrade, but the M5 is only a month old ?. Will be reverting to dealer now, as its becoming most frustrating, and my wife has now got two black eyes . Would you let me know how yours gets on ?, thanks Buddy .

Also this https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828998
I just checked and the setting has still stuck for me. But clearly this is a problem that isn't resolved and seems much more widespread. The difficulty is going to be getting BMW to acknowledge that there is a bug...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #14
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just checked and the setting has still stuck for me. But clearly this is a problem that isn't resolved and seems much more widespread. The difficulty is going to be getting BMW to acknowledge that there is a bug...
Been down to the dealers today, and mentioned all this to them, they did take it on board, and said they must get it right for me. My M5 is in there next Weds, and they will look at its widgetts loosing problem, which im assuming is tied in with all this malarkey. Dont suppose you could set up a selection of widgetts on page 2 of the home screen, and see if they stick for you ?, will keep you updated etc .
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #15
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Been down to the dealers today, and mentioned all this to them, they did take it on board, and said they must get it right for me. My M5 is in there next Weds, and they will look at its widgetts loosing problem, which im assuming is tied in with all this malarkey. Dont suppose you could set up a selection of widgetts on page 2 of the home screen, and see if they stick for you ?, will keep you updated etc .
Sure, I'll try get around to doing it soon. I suspect that it may work ok for me, since the HUD issue seems fixed for the time being.

That said, I did reply to my existing case # with BMW, giving them links to those other threads you posted and making it clear that this is an ongoing issue with multiple owners that they need to investigate.
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      05-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #16
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
I totally forgot. I actually DID setup widgets on page two of the home screen yesterday morning. I just remembered when I got into the car earlier to go to the supermarket. They're still there. They've not vanished
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      05-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #17
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I totally forgot. I actually DID setup widgets on page two of the home screen yesterday morning. I just remembered when I got into the car earlier to go to the supermarket. They're still there. They've not vanished
Thats great news , thankyou. If that changes, would you let me know ?, thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #18
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thats great news , thankyou. If that changes, would you let me know ?, thanks
I'm sorry to say that the speed camera warnings in the HUD actually reset itself to instrument cluster WHILE I WAS DRIVING!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #19
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that the speed camera warnings in the HUD actually reset itself to instrument cluster WHILE I WAS DRIVING!
Hi mate,
Ive been fiddling around with the M5 today, and im hoping ive sorted this. Its held its settings all day, and had previously been loosing settings after a few hours. What i did, was log my driver profile out of connected drive in the i drive, then reboot i drive, and update apps and services as we did before, then log my driver profile back into connected drive in the i drive. I had to reset a few of my settings again under my profile, but im hoping its sorted. Will do my X5 this way on Monday, if it seems to have worked, and is still going strong in the M5 .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #20
rs1987
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,
Ive been fiddling around with the M5 today, and im hoping ive sorted this. Its held its settings all day, and had previously been loosing settings after a few hours. What i did, was log my driver profile out of connected drive in the i drive, then reboot i drive, and update apps and services as we did before, then log my driver profile back into connected drive in the i drive. I had to reset a few of my settings again under my profile, but im hoping its sorted. Will do my X5 this way on Monday, if it seems to have worked, and is still going strong in the M5 .
Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks Simon
Appreciate 0