BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    UK models

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2021, 05:06 AM   #1
SteveChester
Brigadier General
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1591
Rep
3,894
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
UK models

Hi,

At some point I'm going to trade up my 2014 M4 and looking at the M5.

Could someone give me some pointers on when certain changes came in, as I'm really looking for a comp model and ideally don't want a OPF.

My M4 has downpipes, MPE, coilovers and BM3 stage 2 map - what sort of mild tuning options are available and what mods are essential to upgrade the base package?

TIA,
Steve.
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Hi,

At some point I'm going to trade up my 2014 M4 and looking at the M5.

Could someone give me some pointers on when certain changes came in, as I'm really looking for a comp model and ideally don't want a OPF.

My M4 has downpipes, MPE, coilovers and BM3 stage 2 map - what sort of mild tuning options are available and what mods are essential to upgrade the base package?

TIA,
Steve.
Unfortunately Steve, all Comps come with the OPFs. The 2019 onwards, up until the LCIs, do still sound ok with pops and bangs, but not as good, or as often as a non OPF car. The LCI has no pops and bangs, as they are actually mapped out, for noise regs etc. You ideally will be looking at a 2018, or early 2019 non Comp M5 if you want the full fat noise. Its a damn shame, but just the way it is, and the way all cars are going. Everything sound wise is being diluted atm, its just some more than others, and the M5 seems hard hit in this respect .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
SteveChester
Brigadier General
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1591
Rep
3,894
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
OK looks like I'm going to have to accept the OPF.

What about exhausts and BM3 though - do they provide any additional noise or not worth it? I have BM3 and the BMW MPE on my car and it's pretty good.

Also have Bilstein B16 damptronic coilovers fitted - what do people fit suspension wise?
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:18 AM   #4
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
OK looks like I'm going to have to accept the OPF.

What about exhausts and BM3 though - do they provide any additional noise or not worth it? I have BM3 and the BMW MPE on my car and it's pretty good.

Also have Bilstein B16 damptronic coilovers fitted - what do people fit suspension wise?
If you are going to map the car, then thats a different story, the world is your oyster, you can have what you want. I was speaking from a standard POV, and keeping your warranty .
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:58 AM   #5
SteveChester
Brigadier General
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1591
Rep
3,894
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
What have people done suspension wise? I have Bilstein coilovers currently on the M4 and they made a big difference.
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
Mr Burns
Just A Regular Guy
Mr Burns's Avatar
United Kingdom
210
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 2019
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW F90 M5  [0.00]
To be fair Steve, most of the M5 'crowd' here on the Uk section are old dodderers, so you'll probably not get the responses you are looking for.

I don't even understand half of the things you are asking about

I'd post on the main forum and get the bonkers US lot involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
Simon H
Major
Simon H's Avatar
515
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burns View Post
To be fair Steve, most of the M5 'crowd' here on the Uk section are old dodderers, so you'll probably not get the responses you are looking for.

I don't even understand half of the things you are asking about

I'd post on the main forum and get the bonkers US lot involved.
Speak for yourself Mr B .
Appreciate 2
Mr Burns210.00
JK-M545.00
      04-29-2021, 05:59 AM   #8
SteveChester
Brigadier General
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1591
Rep
3,894
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Must be some UK modders on here??!!
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
BrntRubber's Avatar
United Kingdom
40
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
What have people done suspension wise? I have Bilstein coilovers currently on the M4 and they made a big difference.
In the UK MSS adjustabke springs are well regarded. The drop as good as the H&R 550 springs but it rides well.

Here is my car on MSS. Not a nice pic but gives you an idea. H&R has almost no wheel gap, but again lower quality and stiffer
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #10
SteveChester
Brigadier General
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1591
Rep
3,894
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
What are the standard dampers like? Do people switch out for a decent coilovers set?
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #11
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
BrntRubber's Avatar
United Kingdom
40
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
What are the standard dampers like? Do people switch out for a decent coilovers set?
Standard dampers feel very comfy on non comp cars. That's why I went with a 2018 to have the comfy ride and no opf.

Coilovers are very costly so most don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #12
M5 F90 (2018)
First Lieutenant
93
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I have an early 2018 and so non comp and with 21 inch wheels with the right offset you can get away without changing the dampers with a nice look and if you want, springs with MSS or HRE for a compliant ride but a little lower.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
leeadam
Major
leeadam's Avatar
United Kingdom
429
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire, England

iTrader: (0)

My 2019 comp mapped and popped and banged even more after, had rear res and back box tweaked by PCW near milton keynes, has lovely deep burble. I fancy an LCI in 6 months time, but pout off as i always tune and they are now a sod, plus even if i left stock, zero noise, very muted..DAM emissions.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1205.50
      05-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #14
rs1987
Private
44
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Competition LCI
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Must be some UK modders on here??!!
I'd love to get something like an Evolve Stage 2....but, warranty is voided if you have any mechanical/engine trouble and insurers are none too happy with mods either, if you can even find one willing to insure a modded vehicle.

Coming from my 2019 C63, the M5 engine/exhaust sound was quite a disappointment. The noise and emissions regs have killed half the fun...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
rs1987
Private
44
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Competition LCI
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
My 2019 comp mapped and popped and banged even more after, had rear res and back box tweaked by PCW near milton keynes, has lovely deep burble.
Curious about your insurance with the Evolve map. Did you declare the mod to your insurer?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #16
leeadam
Major
leeadam's Avatar
United Kingdom
429
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Hi,

At some point I'm going to trade up my 2014 M4 and looking at the M5.

Could someone give me some pointers on when certain changes came in, as I'm really looking for a comp model and ideally don't want a OPF.

My M4 has downpipes, MPE, coilovers and BM3 stage 2 map - what sort of mild tuning options are available and what mods are essential to upgrade the base package?

TIA,
Steve.
i came from stage two tuned m4 comp. As others say all Comps have opf. Mine is a late 19 and pops and bangs like mad stage one 725bhp ish and does 10.55 standing quart. All stock downpipes and opf still in. I have considered getting a 21 model, but cant tune and they have zero sound lost all character real shame.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #17
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
BrntRubber's Avatar
United Kingdom
40
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1987 View Post
I'd love to get something like an Evolve Stage 2....but, warranty is voided if you have any mechanical/engine trouble and insurers are none too happy with mods either, if you can even find one willing to insure a modded vehicle.

Coming from my 2019 C63, the M5 engine/exhaust sound was quite a disappointment. The noise and emissions regs have killed half the fun...
I love my Evolve stage 2 put fuel smell can be strong. Insurance wasn't a problem for me and they know about the mods.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST