BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    changing steering wheel

04-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
needless rules
Rep
Drives: bmw m5c

changing steering wheel

Hello,
Want to replace steering wheel, on a 2019 m5c.
Does the oem wheel have a DA module?
If I delete the steering wheel heater will that cause any problems?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:17 PM   #2
TJ_El_Jefe
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

It seems the last year or so most places who build custom wheels have a module that basically replicates your hands being on the wheel that plugs directly in to the DA module

inside the wheel. The module inside the wheel is more or less looking for the pressure from the sensors inside the OEM wheel to let the DA module know that your hands are

on the wheel and to stay activated. Now as far as heating goes I had a really bad experience installing a wheel without heat that replaced an OEM wheel with heat. I had/still

have a wheel made by Carismo and although the wheel is great when I installed it on the second day my entire KFAS system would go offline, the only thing that worked I

believe was the blind spot monitoring but can't remember. I ended up taking the car to BMW and the final conclusion was the wheel not having the heat was throwing a fault

causing all driver assist functions to go offline, not sure why and was ensured by Carismo that they have installed many wheels without heat in to cars with heated OEM

wheels. Not really sure why I experienced such drastic results but I ended up having to buy a new wheel because I cut my heating element to use the plug on a different wheel

that ended up being the wrong wheel (whole different story), but anyhow it ended up costing me $1200 for the carismo wheel and another $1500 for a new OEM wheel. Long

story short if you are going to get a custom wheel just make sure it has the same options your OEM wheel has i.e. heat/no heat, driver assist/no driver assist. Hope this helps,

and honestly Carismo did help me throughout my fiasco so it was nothing they did so please don't think I am bashing them, it was just I guess luck of the draw in my case. I

was impatient and went with a non heated wheel, when I should have just waited so lesson learned on my side.

Last edited by TJ_El_Jefe; 04-03-2024 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Need to correct the format
Appreciate 1
Redacre369.00
      04-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
needless rules
Rep

Thanks for your response, TJ_El_Jefe
You've changed my mind, I will find another way to get more clearance on my steering wheel. Mechanical problems for me are easy but electronics are way beyond my OLD farmer mentality.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 03:33 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needless rules View Post
Hello,
Want to replace steering wheel, on a 2019 m5c.
Does the oem wheel have a DA module?
If I delete the steering wheel heater will that cause any problems?
Thanks
If you have DA then yes it does.

While I appreciate the above post about his issue and as scary as that sounds I promise his issue was an enigma. Most aftermarket wheels don’t have heat and they are still selling them. If it was an actual issue they wouldn’t do it. Plenty of members with them
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 07:26 PM   #5
TJ_El_Jefe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
If you have DA then yes it does.

While I appreciate the above post about his issue and as scary as that sounds I promise his issue was an enigma. Most aftermarket wheels don’t have heat and they are still selling them. If it was an actual issue they wouldn’t do it. Plenty of members with them
I 100% agree and that's why I made sure to say my issue was mine and to also state that Carismo was nothing but helpful and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:28 PM   #6
TJ_El_Jefe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needless rules View Post
Thanks for your response, TJ_El_Jefe
You've changed my mind, I will find another way to get more clearance on my steering wheel. Mechanical problems for me are easy but electronics are way beyond my OLD farmer mentality.
Thanks
That really wasn't my intent, my only recommendation would be to get the same features on the custom wheel that your OEM wheel has.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:30 AM   #7
needless rules
Rep

Hello,
Thanks for everyone's responses. The reason I need to change the steering wheel is for emergency egress in case of a roll-over or fire, NOT for looks or functions.
What I need, a half round wheel for leg clearance. All the flat bottom wheels I have found are the same diameter as the stock wheel.
If someone has seen such a wheel, I would be grateful for information. If not, I have already bought an OEM skeleton wheel and I will modify it in my shop, I hope!
Thanks to everyone.
Appreciate 0