BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    M5 vs E63S Comparison (Edmunds Drag Race)

06-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I guess I beg to differ

It's all a question of taste and ultimately cars for a somewhat different customer.

The E63s is not really meant to be a dual personality car as the M5. The M5 is much softer and quieter in its "civilized" setting and then you can open it up if you like. A very practical car.

The Mercedes is more aggressive and louder and that's in comfort mode.
More single purpose I suppose.

More like a Swiss army knife vs a bowie knife Swiss Army knife is definitely a better tool.

That said, I like our E63s perhaps because it isn't low key. For that reason I am keen on the upcoming M8; the M5 is a bit too subtle for me.

Personally I don't get fanboyism; these are all very cool, incredibly capable cars and they all satisfy for a while until boredom sets in or the next shiny toy arrives...
Having owned both and after some time with the M5 I can say that the E63s has the M5 beat in the following:

- Engine and exhaust sound x 10000

- Air conditioning system

- Aggressiveness of the body compared to a stock E43 even. The E63s looks muscular and mean from all angles.

- Impression of speed you get is higher in the E63s compared to the M5.

The M5 is literally better at Everything else including steering feel, handling, ride, actual speed, build quality, tech, idrive speed, seats, HUD...

In Summary the M5 is a better sports car/sports sedan/luxury sedan and the E63s is the better muscle car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #24
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
Having owned both and after some time with the M5 I can say that the E63s has the M5 beat in the following:

- Engine and exhaust sound x 10000

- Aggressiveness of the body compared to a stock E43 even. The E63s looks muscular and mean from all angles.

- Impression of speed you get is higher in the E63s compared to the M5.

The M5 is literally better at Everything else including steering feel, handling, ride, actual speed, build quality, tech, idrive speed, seats, HUD...

In Summary the M5 is a better sports car/sports sedan/luxury sedan and the E63s is the better muscle car.
Nice summary.

I always liked the iDrive in our last 750 and MB Comand is truly slower than molasses . Do like the dual screens though and the selectable instrument clusters and am no fan of the BMW Nav screen placement/design. Another subject of love/hate

In any case with IOS 12 adding Waze/Google Maps to CarPlay I find all in car systems even less relevant than today.

I am curious about everyones daily drive settings though...

No matter the commute, I use the E63s in sport plus as a minimum setting. Sound, suspension, torque and speed is just right. That car doesn't animate to go comfort.

Given the M5 dual personality, how many M5 drivers do the same?
What is the daily default drive mode? Efficient/Comfort or your go-fast mode (Sport Plus, 4wd sport, MDM or DSC off, etc.)...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #25
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Nice summary.

I always liked the iDrive in our last 750 and MB Comand is truly slower than molasses . Do like the dual screens though and the selectable instrument clusters and am no fan of the BMW Nav screen placement/design. Another subject of love/hate

In any case with IOS 12 adding Waze/Google Maps to CarPlay I find all in car systems even less relevant than today.

I am curious about everyones daily drive settings though...

No matter the commute, I use the E63s in sport plus as a minimum setting. Sound, suspension, torque and speed is just right. That car doesn't animate to go comfort.

Given the M5 dual personality, how many M5 drivers do the same?
What is the daily default drive mode? Efficient/Comfort or your go-fast mode (Sport Plus, 4wd sport, MDM or DSC off, etc.)...
Mine is Sport Plus, Sport Plus, Sport Plus, 4wd, DSC off and level 3. M1. Tap twice and drive away. Added MSport exhaust , and it helped but my Akra sounds better in the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #26
Carmelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Huh. That's an unexpected callout on that list lol. What makes it so much better?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #27
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelle View Post
Huh. That's an unexpected callout on that list lol. What makes it so much better?
The M5 can never get the right temp and has a hard time getting the car cold. Once it does it’s either too cold or too hot
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      06-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #28
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
The M5 can never get the right temp and has a hard time getting the car cold. Once it does it’s either too cold or too hot
It is the same with the M550. This is apparently an ongoing issue with BMW's...I honestly don't understand it - or why BMW cannot seem to figure it out...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
It is the same with the M550. This is apparently an ongoing issue with BMW's...I honestly don't understand it - or why BMW cannot seem to figure it out...
Yeah not sure why they focus on gesture control when the AC hasnt been calibrated properly...
Appreciate 1
Aronis2273.00
      06-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #30
skyjunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Yeah not sure why they focus on gesture control when the AC hasnt been calibrated properly...
My M2 and a previous 335is had brilliant AC, set it after i took delivery and and never touched it again period for over a year.
The M5 needs constant tweaking, mess with the vents, the temp setting, the fan speed, it can’t get it right. If a cloud covers the sun the car freezes.
The AC is powerful, it just can’t figure out how hard to blow to keep the car at a constant temp, really annoying. I added window tint and it helps a bit.
2001 325ci - sold
1998 318is - gone
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #31
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Ok, totally unimportant question but I’m sure an expert on here will have the answer!!

So when I drove the E63 v the M5, the E63 felt faster early on in low gears and the M5 really didn’t come alive until 5,000+ revs.

However, I’m pretty sure that must be perception, rather than reality as the facts are the 0-60 times are identical. Plus all the videos on the web never show the M5 struggling early on v the E63.

Does anyone have a breakdown of the acceleration stats between the two, breaking the 0-60 down ie 0-30, 30-60?
Appreciate 0