BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Drivetrain malfunction saga... Anyone have experience with this being resolved?

04-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
gramster1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F82 M4 Coupe

I had my 18' F90 delivered in Jul 18. After around 2k miles I started having constant drivetrain malfunction issues - car would stall, lose power, or just shut off all electronics...
This being said, I've been back and forth with my BMW dealer about the issues and it's been in multiple times - twice for software, third saying they needed to order a replacement waste gate control valve (not sure if that's the exact name) ; it is currently going on to service in the next week or so to have this part installed... Anyone have any advice on this? I definitely would not want to keep this car if I don't have to but know that lemon law is a complicated process... Also anyone have any luck of the issue being resolved yet? My vin is as follows: WBSJ F0C5 8J B283496
Also to add: the issue seems to pop up a CEL and after shutting off the car for 5-10 minutes most of the time will resolve itself - BMW has advised me that sometimes when they have scanned my car it doesn't show a fault in the system...and sometimes it has...

TIA! Please let me know if any suggestions or thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Realnyc8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

yep i had the same issue. it is the crankshaft sensor failure. your dealer / service center cna order a replacement. was an issue with G30 5 series too. i had the same problem, had a few drivetrain malfunction messages and stall / shutoff. took about 3 hours to replace but a few days to order the part
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
gramster1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F82 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realnyc8 View Post
yep i had the same issue. it is the crankshaft sensor failure. your dealer / service center cna order a replacement. was an issue with G30 5 series too. i had the same problem, had a few drivetrain malfunction messages and stall / shutoff. took about 3 hours to replace but a few days to order the part
Do you think it is worth going after a lemon law? They have told me so many different things at this point and I dont want the car to be a continuing problem... TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramster1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realnyc8 View Post
Do you think it is worth going after a lemon law? They have told me so many different things at this point and I dont want the car to be a continuing problem... TIA
Why not just get your dealer to get the crankshaft sensor replaced and see how it goes from there?
      04-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

drop the car off, tell them to figure it out. in the meantime, call bmwna and tell them you want to be compensated for the time the car is down. if you get it back and it does it again, i'd say lemon law is in play at that point.
Appreciate 0