Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #23
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agagom View Post
Yesterday I installed my BlackVue with Power Magic Pro using the fuse box in the trunk. However it seems that the dashcam power is turned off after I leave the car off around 20 minutes... Maybe I connected to a wrong tab.. Does anyone have a suggestion what fuse tabs should I connect the wires of the Power Magic Pro to? (+ACC and +BATT)
I think you have the incorrect power adapter. I ordered two, (2) channel Blackvue camera systems today and for the BMW was told I needed the Multi Safer (which is referenced in the video posted for the F30). I called Alex at Blackboxmycar today and had a detailed discussion with him about this and he assured me the Multi Safer will work with BMW and the auto stop/start. We will see in a few days if it works or not. Apparently BMW has several circuits that will shut down after 20 minutes and you need to make sure you are connected to a fuse that does not shut down to keep the camera operating in the parking mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #24
agagom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insureit1 View Post
I think you have the incorrect power adapter. I ordered two, (2) channel Blackvue camera systems today and for the BMW was told I needed the Multi Safer (which is referenced in the video posted for the F30). I called Alex at Blackboxmycar today and had a detailed discussion with him about this and he assured me the Multi Safer will work with BMW and the auto stop/start. We will see in a few days if it works or not. Apparently BMW has several circuits that will shut down after 20 minutes and you need to make sure you are connected to a fuse that does not shut down to keep the camera operating in the parking mode.
Yeah, I heard about the Multi Safer after I already got the Power Magic Pro.
But it seems Power Magic Pro also work well with the auto stop/start feature. It doesn't shut off the dash cam when the engine shuts off at the stop sign.

Today I tried to use the fuse 100 for +BATT, and 162 for +ACC, and it seems working. After I left my car off for more than two hours, it was still running the camera on. Yay! (The video mentions 161 for the +BATT, I think it might also work.. didn't try that.)

Now for a couple of days I'll check whether there is any battery drain alerts in the mornings.. (I'm setting 12v / 24hour as the shut off threshold.)
      01-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #25
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Quote:
Yeah, I heard about the Multi Safer after I already got the Power Magic Pro.
But it seems Power Magic Pro also work well with the auto stop/start feature. It doesn't shut off the dash cam when the engine shuts off at the stop sign.

Today I tried to use the fuse 100 for +BATT, and 162 for +ACC, and it seems working. After I left my car off for more than two hours, it was still running the camera on. Yay! (The video mentions 161 for the +BATT, I think it might also work.. didn't try that.)

Now for a couple of days I'll check whether there is any battery drain alerts in the mornings.. (I'm setting 12v / 24hour as the shut off threshold.)
Well you just saved me some time with the fuse #'s. Thanks
My cameras should arrive tomorrow and planning to hook them up this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #26
agagom
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insureit1 View Post
Well you just saved me some time with the fuse #'s. Thanks
My cameras should arrive tomorrow and planning to hook them up this weekend.
Oops.. bad news: after leaving my car over one day with the camera recording in parking mode, a high battery discharging alert showed up in this morning.
Moreover, the Comfort Access was not working, maybe due to the same battery discharging issue.

The alert is gone after I drove a while, and shut off the engine and restart. But I turned off the multi-booting option of my Power Magic Pro, so it won't keep recording until I figure it out better way..
I'm not so confident with my wiring skill so I'm not trying with the direct battery wiring.. (and afraid that the battery drainage alert will still come up..)
Attached Images

01-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #27
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

This is normal for BMWs and it's not something you should worry about. Unfortunately, BMW is sensitive to these things. I let my car sit for almost 24 hrs before I got back to it and I had the same error.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #28
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Say, has this been resolved? i.e. is it possible to install Blackvue with Magic Power Pro with the F8x without endangering the car battery or the iDrive throwing any errors/warnings?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #29
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Oops.. bad news: after leaving my car over one day with the camera recording in parking mode, a high battery discharging alert showed up in this morning.
Moreover, the Comfort Access was not working, maybe due to the same battery discharging issue.

The alert is gone after I drove a while, and shut off the engine and restart. But I turned off the multi-booting option of my Power Magic Pro, so it won't keep recording until I figure it out better way..
I'm not so confident with my wiring skill so I'm not trying with the direct battery wiring.. (and afraid that the battery drainage alert will still come up..)
Were you trying to run the camera constantly after the car was off or just in the "motion sensor" mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #30
agagom
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M4_j2 View Post
Were you trying to run the camera constantly after the car was off or just in the "motion sensor" mode?
The camera was in "parking mode", so I guess that's motion sensor mode..
      01-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #31
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarina
Say, has this been resolved? i.e. is it possible to install Blackvue with Magic Power Pro with the F8x without endangering the car battery or the iDrive throwing any errors/warnings?

Thanks
If you drive it daily, you won't have a problem. If you don't, just simply unplug the power wire until you're going to drive again. I'm assuming your car is in a garage so letting it run is a waste anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #32
motivevelocity
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS Signal Green

I just did this install today, pretty straight forward. I used multi safer set it to 12.2v and 6 hours.

Also used add a fuse tap to go into fuse box
will report back if anything, otherwise seems to be working well
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #33
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Liking the capability so far. The App is a bit annoying, but very usable. The front camera runs weird on the viewer software, a bit jerky at full speed but it gets better if I slow it down to .9 or .8. More playing until I better understand using it. Haven't installed into fuse panel yet, but will be soon enough. Going with the Magic Pro unit. Can you see the SUV, coming into my lane? I find it very interesting that what I think happens and what is recorded is different.
Attached Images

01-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #34
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
I've got a Blackvue DR 650GW-2CH See here for info - I've had Blackvue cameras in all my vehicles and in our family car.

When I got the BMW, I had read about the battery sensitivity so I when with a Battery Pack instead. This only requires power when the vehicle is running and can power the camera for up to 7 days in park mode. Great for the 2-3 days at the airport when I fly interstate. I used this battery but I am sure there's an equivalent in the US. The battery mounts nicely in the boot (trunk) and it all just works.

Pictures attached - Front Camera and Boot Mounted Battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #35
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMLaw View Post
Steven, you're a better man than I am - just watching it made me livid but then again I am pretty anal when it comes to my things. Was this at Advantage? Seems like it from the video. I was going to be giving them my car to service but this is exactly why I'm going to be there to keep tabs on their ass.

Also, I think what makes this even dumber is that this idiot had to know the camera was running right? Why the hell would do you drive like that in someone else's car.
I would rip the dealer a new one, and report them to BMW Financial's Customer Relations department. I have had many issues like this with my M4, and I caused the entire dealership to fall apart when I returned to pick up my brand new M4, with black oil stains on the back of the steering wheel and a tiny dent on my front bumper. I made them replace my front bumper and they returned it to me with it painted half-ass. I called BMW Financial and I let them have it.

I got what I wanted in the end, but I will get that dealership back for making my life a living hell for 2 months.

NEVER go to the dealer. NEVER...I don't care what anyone says. Techs are all young guys who are dying for your M4 or M3 to come in. (I know from experience) I have millions of horror stories that will make your vomit.

Do your own work or go to EAS, SupremePower, etc...go to BMW performance shops...they will take care of you WAY better than the dealer, because these private shops want your satisfaction and business, but the dealer wants you OUT. The dealer makes more money with cars sold, than repairs (even repairs that are not under warranty)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #36
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Dealer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian View Post
NEVER go to the dealer. NEVER...I don't care what anyone says. Techs are all young guys who are dying for your M4 or M3 to come in. (I know from experience) I have millions of horror stories that will make your vomit.

Do your own work or go to EAS, SupremePower, etc...go to BMW performance shops...they will take care of you WAY better than the dealer, because these private shops want your satisfaction and business, but the dealer wants you OUT. The dealer makes more money with cars sold, than repairs (even repairs that are not under warranty)
While there is some truth to what you say, my dealer, BMW Portland, has always had a good service department. Bought my first new car from them (previous ownership) 43 years ago! While under warranty the advantage of using the dealer is you gain a history with them and they will stand up for you if you have issues.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #37
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
While there is some truth to what you say, my dealer, BMW Portland, has always had a good service department. Bought my first new car from them (previous ownership) 43 years ago! While under warranty the advantage of using the dealer is you gain a history with them and they will stand up for you if you have issues.
Okay. You're very fortunate, because most dealerships in LA and where I live are garbage. I wouldn't let any of the young techs look at my car, let alone drive it. I pay for my oil changes at EAS, but I feel so much better knowing that I can look at my car while it is being worked on, and see the level of care that the shop has towards my car: wearing new latex gloves every time they sit in the car, cover the steering wheel and seat at all times while the car is inside the dock, letting the car warm up......I get satisfaction knowing that they don't just turn on my car and pop it in gear and give the car throttle until the clutch is fully engaged in gear. I don't know what goes behind the scenes at a dealer because it my car is always hidden from me.

Plus, I'm very picky. I don't like seeing anything different on my car when it is returned to me, like finger print marks all over my hood, steering wheel, shifter, keys, etc...and I have ALWAYS gotten all of them. AND, most techs don't drive normally when they take the car out for the test drive before returning the car to the owner...in LA, most techs take a big poop on the car and if you're keeping the car, one mistake or one bad downshift can ruin the lifespan on your car..and that risk is something that I'm just not willing to take. I paid $80,000 cash for the car so I can't afford something like that to happen, since I am keeping my car.

Last edited by Account Closed; 01-13-2016 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 03:33 AM   #38
MilM4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SSII BMW M4

For those who self installed your Blackvue camera, what bolt did you use to ground the camera? I hardwired my camera to the fuse box in the trunk, but couldn't find a bolt that I felt was logical to attach the ground wire to. It seemed the bolts in that area were too big for the end of the ground wire to fit around.
      12-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #39
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilM4 View Post
For those who self installed your Blackvue camera, what bolt did you use to ground the camera? I hardwired my camera to the fuse box in the trunk, but couldn't find a bolt that I felt was logical to attach the ground wire to. It seemed the bolts in that area were too big for the end of the ground wire to fit around.
Not my picture but the bolt right next to the multi safer where they are grounding is what I used.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #40
tmspec
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
Not my picture but the bolt right next to the multi safer where they are grounding is what I used.

how are you connecting the power wire from the dashcam to multi safer? My guess u are splicing it?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #41
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmspec View Post
how are you connecting the power wire from the dashcam to multi safer? My guess u are splicing it?
Do you have a cigarette lighter power cable for the dash cam? Something like this http://www.thedashcamstore.com/repla...sb-power-cord/

The multi safer has a female port for that cigarette lighter power cable to plug into, you can see it in the picture you quoted right above the multi safer. IMO that's the way to do it, otherwise yes you would have to cut and splice.
Appreciate 1