BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS - the 4 door supercar killer - hands on

12-25-2021, 11:35 PM   #45
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I tend to agree.

There are differing markets here. I have spent FOUR YEARS tracking my F90 M5. Things I don't like about tracking it - too heavy. Lots of creature comforts unnecessary for my usage. Self closing doors? Really? The seats of the standard F90 - WAYY too much lateral movement possible. Rear seats? Useless except for parcels as a grocery getter if you drive fast. Unless you like your rear passengers to get concussions slapping back and forth. Also, no ability to add four point restraints to the stock seats. They are designed to keep rear restraints from coming over at the proper angle it seems. While the stupid Supra has PERFECT pass throughs for four points.

The CS addresses ALL of these deficiencies for a track car (well, except the stupid too small rear brake caliper, but I "get it" - hard to reengineer that)

So, I sit back and listen to people bitching about not being able to get the B&W stereo upgrade, and the lack of the 360 camera and laugh. The market for the CS is not them. Stick to the regular M5 or competition and realize the CS was never, ever made for you, nor will you ever fully realize the potency of your M5. Ever. Only those who have been on a track with an M5 at 160mph and hauling it down for a quick left-right hander as fast as many high priced sports cars realize who the M5 CS was made for.

So let them complain. Don't see me bitching about the existence or unsuitability of the regular M5 or competition. I know it was made for powder puffs who will never ever drive at the limit - nor should they. Don't know how.

Shawn

You said the m5 is too heavy.

You then say the CS addresses all these concerns. It does not. The CS is only 200lbs lighter...

The M5, M5C, or M5CS are NOT track vehicles.
The M5 CS is same weight as the new M4C xdrive, and about the same as a Nissan GTR. Is the GTR a track car?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
Doctor_X1158.00
      12-26-2021, 12:05 AM   #46
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

So much bitching and moaning from people who didn't even buy the car. Then you got your uppities who have to tell you they can afford it and didn't buy it, or "GOBBLE GOBBLE YOU THINK THIS IS A TRACK CAR?!!" "The colors are gross hahhahahaha here comes the flamewar!!! Lololol"

So funny to see this back and forth, meanwhile nobody's holding a Glock to your ballsack to buy it, nor have 96% of you driven it.
      12-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #47
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
what supercar does this kill? lol.
Plenty of entry level super cars. Just not your daddy's cars.
      12-26-2021, 02:57 AM   #48
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
What are Motorsport Badges? Hopefully not those silly MSport stickers that people put on the rocker panels.
Motorsport badges are the Roundels with the Motorsport half rings. They are offering it for the 50th anniversary of ///M in 2022.

For the record - I don’t hate the car and I’m glad they built it. Styling is just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #49
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Plenty of entry level super cars. Just not your daddy's cars.

what is an entry level super car now?

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #50
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
The M5 CS is same weight as the new M4C xdrive, and about the same as a Nissan GTR. Is the GTR a track car?
Nailed it.

2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Tire Rack One Lap of America overall champion.

Ballerina's who say that Elephants can't dance look stupid when the Elephant wins the dance competition.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #51
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
So much bitching and moaning from people who didn't even buy the car. Then you got your uppities who have to tell you they can afford it and didn't buy it, or "GOBBLE GOBBLE YOU THINK THIS IS A TRACK CAR?!!" "The colors are gross hahhahahaha here comes the flamewar!!! Lololol"

So funny to see this back and forth, meanwhile nobody's holding a Glock to your ballsack to buy it, nor have 96% of you driven it.
Haters gonna hate.

Maybe they can't get one because they're a super duper asshole.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #52
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
I tend to agree.

There are differing markets here. I have spent FOUR YEARS tracking my F90 M5. Things I don't like about tracking it - too heavy. Lots of creature comforts unnecessary for my usage. Self closing doors? Really? The seats of the standard F90 - WAYY too much lateral movement possible. Rear seats? Useless except for parcels as a grocery getter if you drive fast. Unless you like your rear passengers to get concussions slapping back and forth. Also, no ability to add four point restraints to the stock seats. They are designed to keep rear restraints from coming over at the proper angle it seems. While the stupid Supra has PERFECT pass throughs for four points.

The CS addresses ALL of these deficiencies for a track car (well, except the stupid too small rear brake caliper, but I "get it" - hard to reengineer that)

So, I sit back and listen to people bitching about not being able to get the B&W stereo upgrade, and the lack of the 360 camera and laugh. The market for the CS is not them. Stick to the regular M5 or competition and realize the CS was never, ever made for you, nor will you ever fully realize the potency of your M5. Ever. Only those who have been on a track with an M5 at 160mph and hauling it down for a quick left-right hander as fast as many high priced sports cars realize who the M5 CS was made for.

So let them complain. Don't see me bitching about the existence or unsuitability of the regular M5 or competition. I know it was made for powder puffs who will never ever drive at the limit - nor should they. Don't know how.

Shawn

You said the m5 is too heavy.

You then say the CS addresses all these concerns. It does not. The CS is only 200lbs lighter...

The M5, M5C, or M5CS are NOT track vehicles.
Any car is a track car if you know what you're doing

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=954033

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
Egrunt553.00
      12-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #53
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBob View Post
Or because they're powder puffs with Glock nutsacks. Joining the butthurt team now. LFG! Goggle Gobble!
I'm not sure I get all that. But it DOES make me laugh. Nice work.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 07:55 AM   #54
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

Having driven some crapcans on track, you ARE right.

Car driven closest to its absolute limit ever I saw on track, a 1993 Honda Accord Wagon (I think it had an engine swap too) was absolutely hair raising to watch on track. Kid drove the absolute wheels off it. He was safe, and composed, but at the absolute edge all the time. Friends told me the reason he was so fast was he didn't care if he wrecked it. He could rebuild it if need be.

Earned all of my respect. I hope to be brave enough to drive that close to the limit all the time someday.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #55
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
What are Motorsport Badges? Hopefully not those silly MSport stickers that people put on the rocker panels.
Motorsport badges are the Roundels with the Motorsport half rings. They are offering it for the 50th anniversary of ///M in 2022.

For the record - I don’t hate the car and I’m glad they built it. Styling is just not for me.
I adore my M2C and will seriously look at the heritage hood roundel one they are available.

Worst case I put it on and change my mind later
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #56
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
There’s a trend I’ve started to notice with the CS - the F90 M5 owners seem to dislike this car more than any other “enthusiasts.” Your non CS M5’s are still cool guys!

This thread sucks.
Appreciate 3
Egrunt553.00
omgmike359.00
      12-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #57
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
There’s a trend I’ve started to notice with the CS - the F90 M5 owners seem to dislike this car more than any other “enthusiasts.” Your non CS M5’s are still cool guys!

This thread sucks.
Well it's taken a turn for sure.. the M5, Comp, and Comp Sport are all amazing. I would happily take any of them.

No reason to roll in the negatives
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #58
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Well it's taken a turn for sure.. the M5, Comp, and Comp Sport are all amazing. I would happily take any of them.

No reason to roll in the negatives
Haters rolled in on page one..

"hot wheels catalogue",

"what supercar does it kill"

Geez.

But yes, all are very very capable. All have weaknesses (duh). But compared to the competing Porsche 4 door turbo, Merceds offering, any F90 M5 is superior to the competing offerengs (well, if you like the drive and dashes that don't squeak).

But yeah, haters gon hate.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #59
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
Nah. Don't really care myself. I bought it for what it brought to the table for me. Ordered it right away when I found out it was on the way. Amazed how much hate and shade in inspires in the community. Don't care, but happy to defend it as not "irrelevant" or "stupid" because it's not.

And, you're right - "powder puffs" is funny, glad I came up with it. But its directed at the powder puffs who will never really be WOT for more than five seconds and are whining about the loss of the 360 degree camera and massaging seats, and seats that are "too tight". Good grief. If they fit my fat ass, they'll fit just about anybody that can buy only one seat on an airline.

Shawn
I do more reading on here then posting over the years. However I have been following this post. It appears anything to do with the M5CS brings controversial postings. One thing that sticks out with one of your earlier postings that caught my eye was when you stated passing a vehicle or driving at 160 mph on the straight away. I believe this where the M5CS comes into its element. On a local roadway even a base BMW 530i is more then sufficient on the roadways when driving within the speed limit. My base 2018 M5 has more then enough power for the roadways when I drive it spirited. While I never drive any of my personnel vehicles on a race track my work as a Police Officer and EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator Course) Instructor has afforded me many hours on a track for pursuit driving training. Even in my earlier years in Marine Corps (20 years military service and retired in 2004) in the 90's while stationed at MCB Quantico I spent numerous training sessions at Bill Scott Raceway (Summit Point Raceway) driving a 1988 Chevy Impala down the straight away at over 100 mph and applying thresh hold braking before entering the apex at turn one. Those where some fun times. Spent many training sessions at the Secret Service training facility (Beltsville Maryland) and FBI training facility (Quantico VA). It was pretty cool to see what the presidential limo could do. I spent some time at the Bondurant driving courses, so I understand where you are coming from when it comes to track driving. I thoroughly enjoy driving the retired Ford Crown Victoria and now Ford Police Interceptor (SUV) on our EVOC track. It just goes to show any vehicle can be driven on track with the proper skills.

I will say the color options of the M5 CS where the biggest issue when deciding if I would transition from my current M5 to the M5 CS. When spending 140K plus for a vehicle it has to in my opinion appeal to you on a personnel level appearance wise. The M5 CS is a great driving vehicle when driven aggressively over the speed limit or on a track.

As with most vehicles in this price category or above it is all about wants and not needs. My next store neighbor owns a 2019 Porsche 911 GT2RS and it is a garage queen it will never see the track and that is fine. My other neighbor owns a 2000 Ferrari 550 Maranello with less then 5k miles. Why do I bring this up, buy what you want and desire. There is no wrong or right answer but what you except out of a vehicle.

The current future vehicles I am considering are the upcoming C8 Z06 (already on a list), 911 GTS, and Cayman GT4RS. None of the vehicles will ever see the track.

The below video is our new training facility in San Diego County. We also had a Nissan GTR assigned to our fleet for recruitment purposes.

Attached Images

Last edited by Egrunt; 12-26-2021 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
WickedBMW612.50
      12-26-2021, 10:48 PM   #60
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

just because you can literally sign up anything to drive on a track doesn't make it a track car.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #61
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep

At the end of day it's not the vehicle but the skill of the driver

CHP EVOC
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #62
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep

I post this for the simple reason. I have been a licensed motorcycle rider since 1982 and a certified Police Motor Cycle Officer since 2009. With that being said I can not ride the BMW R1250RT like the rider in the video. How many BMW C5CS owners can drive the vehicle to its limits on a track? Once again enjoy your vehicle and think about it!

Last edited by Egrunt; 12-26-2021 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #63
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I post this for the simple reason. I have been a licensed motorcycle rider since 1982 and a certified Police Motor Cycle Officer since 2009. With that being said I can not ride the BMW R1250RT like the rider in the video. How many BMW C5CS owners can drive the vehicle to its limits on a track? Once again enjoy your vehicle and think about it!

I can.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #64
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
I do more reading on here then posting over the years. However I have been following this post. It appears anything to do with the M5CS brings controversial postings. One thing that sticks out with one of your earlier postings that caught my eye was when you stated passing a vehicle or driving at 160 mph on the straight away. I believe this where the M5CS comes into its element. On a local roadway even a base BMW 530i is more then sufficient on the roadways when driving within the speed limit. My base 2018 M5 has more then enough power for the roadways when I drive it spirited. While I never drive any of my personnel vehicles on a race track my work as a Police Officer and EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator Course) Instructor has afforded me many hours on a track for pursuit driving training. Even in my earlier years in Marine Corps (20 years military service and retired in 2004) in the 90's while stationed at MCB Quantico I spent numerous training sessions at Bill Scott Raceway (Summit Point Raceway) driving a 1988 Chevy Impala down the straight away at over 100 mph and applying thresh hold braking before entering the apex at turn one. Those where some fun times. Spent many training sessions at the Secret Service training facility (Beltsville Maryland) and FBI training facility (Quantico VA). It was pretty cool to see what the presidential limo could do. I spent some time at the Bondurant driving courses, so I understand where you are coming from when it comes to track driving. I thoroughly enjoy driving the retired Ford Crown Victoria and now Ford Police Interceptor (SUV) on our EVOC track. It just goes to show any vehicle can be driven on track with the proper skills.

I will say the color options of the M5 CS where the biggest issue when deciding if I would transition from my current M5 to the M5 CS. When spending 140K plus for a vehicle it has to in my opinion appeal to you on a personnel level appearance wise. The M5 CS is a great driving vehicle when driven aggressively over the speed limit or on a track.

As with most vehicles in this price category or above it is all about wants and not needs. My next store neighbor owns a 2019 Porsche 911 GT2RS and it is a garage queen it will never see the track and that is fine. My other neighbor owns a 2000 Ferrari 550 Maranello with less then 5k miles. Why do I bring this up, buy what you want and desire. There is no wrong or right answer but what you except out of a vehicle.

The current future vehicles I am considering are the upcoming C8 Z06 (already on a list), 911 GTS, and Cayman GT4RS. None of the vehicles will ever see the track.

The below video is our new training facility in San Diego County. We also had a Nissan GTR assigned to our fleet for recruitment purposes.
Ah, Summit point. Pretty nearby for me, but I've never been because too many of my friends have come home from that track with their cars in little plastic baggies.

And yes, 160mph on the back straight at VIR. The REGULAR m5 F90 will brush that. I think the CS will do even better.

People who buy cars like that and don't drive them are appreciating them for the "art of car". While I appreciate that as well, it'd be kinda like owning the Mona Lisa and keeping it in a locked vault that you only checked on once a month. Not that I'm criticizing that, but its got a lot more potential.

The limited color choice is one thing I see as well. I think that it's almost purpose driven. The frozen colors are "showcase" for the CS. If they really did make one for the "track junkies" like me, it's the gloss. Never seen a frozen/flat on track, unless it was one somebody spray painted themselves (common), or plastidip (don't laugh, it's been done).

You should bring those out - JUST ONCE. It's a helluva thing to see what a stock vehicle can do these days.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #65
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:

CHP EVOC
I think that's the worst handling car I've ever seen.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #66
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Like ExStig, I can, and will.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
Egrunt553.00