BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS - the 4 door supercar killer - hands on

12-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
If you’re worried about the audio, the daily drivability of the seats, or the color combo - you weren’t BMW’s target consumer for the CS.

The M5 comp easily obliges that crowd.

Both badass, but for different reasons.
Appreciate 7
crypto1472.00
Chicane_1050.00
Ex_Stig2594.00
Kstoff125237.00
      12-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #24
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBob View Post
Same. I get that it is a phenomenal driving car but it looks juvenile inside with those seats…especially the rear setup. Not to mention no Bowers and Wilkins is a dealbreaker for me on a 140k M5

oh yea, because people buy 650hp sedans for the stereo...
Totally agree. I rarely turn on my stereo when I drive either M3 or CS.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00
TrevorM33321.50
      12-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #25
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post
One of the reasons I didn't want an M3 was because it isn't available with upgraded audio. I'm not saying I would pass on a CS if I was even able to find one but I don't think the HK and the carbon buckets would work for me for a daily. I'd love to wring one out for a weekend, however. Aside from that, I think it looks great.

Good video OP, thanks for posting.
HK in my CS sounds better than in my M3 G80

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2021, 03:47 AM   #26
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

It’s a shame they didn’t take a different approach. Imagine a version of this car with black or brushed trim, different wheels, Motorsport badges, heritage colors and a tasteful interior. I would have been first in line. Performance is great - but the styling missed the mark.
Appreciate 3
      12-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #27
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

It looks like three different people were designing it at different times.

I think they were going for a sleeper car, until they put on those bronze rims.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #28
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Interesting to read all the criticism towards the CS styling. I personally think BMW nailed it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
SCD-1983575.50
Doctor_X1158.00
jhbodle145.50
      12-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #29
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33 View Post
It's a shame they didn't take a different approach. Imagine a version of this car with black or brushed trim, different wheels, Motorsport badges, heritage colors and a tasteful interior. I would have been first in line. Performance is great - but the styling missed the mark.
What are Motorsport Badges? Hopefully not those silly MSport stickers that people put on the rocker panels.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #30
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

I love the car and we all have different opinions. I would like to add golden rims with yellow calipers my dislikes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but they could have improved few things on this car. Rim color options, and bronze bits in different color. Blackout option, in my opinion would look great on this car.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #31
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i think they should've did black, red, and white.

Green looks the best out of the 3 to me though.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #32
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i think they should've did black, red, and white.

Green looks the best out of the 3 to me though.
I meant as more options, Trevor. Not just three colors. Green is good, but I think there should be individual CS colors. I don't, maybe Barbie pink, lol

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #33
Camarejh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

In my subjective opinion which im sure will get hated on because everyone always gets offended…. The M5 Comp looks worlds better. Theres too much tacky shit thrown on the CS. Still beautiful and a monster but its just this poor pre-LCI base M5 non comp owners opinion so i mean very little to all the high rollers in here. Merry Christmas and im looking forward to all the hate.
Appreciate 4
      12-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #34
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarejh View Post
In my subjective opinion which im sure will get hated on because everyone always gets offended…. The M5 Comp looks worlds better. Theres too much tacky shit thrown on the CS. Still beautiful and a monster but its just this poor pre-LCI base M5 non comp owners opinion so i mean very little to all the high rollers in here. Merry Christmas and im looking forward to all the hate.
No reason for hate.. I frickin love the CS and would buy it, but why would I hate on you? (speaking for myself)

We all like what we like and that is ok! The CS is very very niche and if you don't like it, that's ok!

Way too many people, in life, in general, in forums, throw shade simply because they can.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 6
Camarejh1401.50
Chicane_1050.00
Ex_Stig2594.00
Egrunt553.00
DNYC1919478.00
      12-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #35
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarejh View Post
No reason for hate.. I frickin love the CS and would buy it, but why would I hate on you? (speaking for myself)

We all like what we like and that is ok! The CS is very very niche and if you don't like it, that's ok!

Way too many people, in life, in general, in forums, throw shade simply because they can.
Agreed (classy response by the way). I doubt many of us who love or own the CS are phased by the negativity or armchair brand managers. It's quite entertaining in fact
Appreciate 2
Doctor_X1158.00
      12-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #36
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Agreed (classy response by the way). I doubt many of us who love or own the CS are phased by the negativity or armchair brand managers. It's quite entertaining in fact
I tend to agree.

There are differing markets here. I have spent FOUR YEARS tracking my F90 M5. Things I don't like about tracking it - too heavy. Lots of creature comforts unnecessary for my usage. Self closing doors? Really? The seats of the standard F90 - WAYY too much lateral movement possible. Rear seats? Useless except for parcels as a grocery getter if you drive fast. Unless you like your rear passengers to get concussions slapping back and forth. Also, no ability to add four point restraints to the stock seats. They are designed to keep rear restraints from coming over at the proper angle it seems. While the stupid Supra has PERFECT pass throughs for four points.

The CS addresses ALL of these deficiencies for a track car (well, except the stupid too small rear brake caliper, but I "get it" - hard to reengineer that)

So, I sit back and listen to people bitching about not being able to get the B&W stereo upgrade, and the lack of the 360 camera and laugh. The market for the CS is not them. Stick to the regular M5 or competition and realize the CS was never, ever made for you, nor will you ever fully realize the potency of your M5. Ever. Only those who have been on a track with an M5 at 160mph and hauling it down for a quick left-right hander as fast as many high priced sports cars realize who the M5 CS was made for.

So let them complain. Don't see me bitching about the existence or unsuitability of the regular M5 or competition. I know it was made for powder puffs who will never ever drive at the limit - nor should they. Don't know how.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00
Doctor_X1158.00
      12-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #37
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some fair points which ought to be appreciated….though the idea of tracking a heavy sedan (even with the 100 or 200 pounds stripped out) doesn't appeal to a whole lot of folks… especially people who track cars actually intended for the track… spoiler alert… not large sedans that weigh several tons

With that said I can't stand strawberry ice cream…. But I have no problem with the existence of the flavor. Doesn't taste good to me. All entitled to our opinions and I respect your desire to track a relatively heavy sedan if that's what you enjoy doing.
Passing a Porsche Cayman that had to come to the track on a trailer because it isn't road legal with a cage and slicks is priceless. Because I got to drive it there with the track equipment AND the slicks in the back. But yes, it's an opinion and preference issue. I prefer a sedan because of storage space and the ability to drive to and from the track. The expense and storage of having to own a tow vehicle and trailer is prohibitive. A sedan that "does it all" is priceless. Compared to many of my compatriots, My cost savings versus them has paid for the difference between their cars and mine. And, sometimes, I'm faster. And able to drive in the rain. And able to drive in air-conditioned comfort for clubs that allow the windows up (there's a few).

But the "made for the track" argument goes against ANY road car. If it's a sports car "Intended for the track", owning anything but an Atom or a full on not legal for road car is crazy. The costs and difficulties of a road legal car performing on track is far outweighed by the simplicity of a full track car. So the 911 owner who tells me that I'm not driving the right car gets blown away by the guy who paid a third of what he did with a four-cylinder blown Atom kind of loses credibility with that argument. All while I'm a little behind in full air conditioning with a car that I drove there, and will take the Hoosiers off for the drive home.

To me, the market segments are what they are. Somebody can argue that the M5 CS is stupid. Whatever. It appeals to me. It sits in my garage now, patiently waiting on track season. Do I care that the H&K stereo is less loud or accurate as the B&W in my Polestar V70? Nope. Don't drive it every day. It's not for that. Won't find me criticizing any car that anybody else drives. Each has its own market. And, bring it to the track any day. You'd be AMAZED what the newest cheap four banger made by Kia on stock tires will do on a track compared to a 20 year old Miata that the owner claims is the "only best car for the track". All cars appeal to me. I'll drive the tires off it anywhere, anytime.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
G30 B581548.00
jhbodle145.50
      12-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #38
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. I am not implying one needs an F1 car straight from Red Bull's Verstappen.

It is definitely fair to say that some cars are more appropriate for the track than others. Generally speaking heavier and more doors aren't preferable though there are exceptions to many rules.

All cars don't appeal to me and I definitely will criticize cars at will.

Isn't that what the Pontiac Aztec was made for after all…
't

I see what you're saying, but once you go down the hole of "what's better", you find that the superlative argument wins the day on that one, every time. There's always the "best" track car. And anything less is just "winging it" for one reason or another. My winging it is the M5 CS. I can't say I'd be happy driving a school bus down the back straightaway at my favorite or local track. I WOULD however, love to see that crap. And would I respect the bastard who could do it without turning over? Yes I would.

And while the aesthetics of the Pontiac Aztec are indeed awful, there's a local owner who owns one in mint condition. Drives it every day. Its finish is awesome. Would I stop to see it if he let me? Yes I would. Would I own it? Couldn't give it to me. Cast shade on him? Nope. No day of the week.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00
Ex_Stig2594.00
      12-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #39
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
I tend to agree.

There are differing markets here. I have spent FOUR YEARS tracking my F90 M5. Things I don't like about tracking it - too heavy. Lots of creature comforts unnecessary for my usage. Self closing doors? Really? The seats of the standard F90 - WAYY too much lateral movement possible. Rear seats? Useless except for parcels as a grocery getter if you drive fast. Unless you like your rear passengers to get concussions slapping back and forth. Also, no ability to add four point restraints to the stock seats. They are designed to keep rear restraints from coming over at the proper angle it seems. While the stupid Supra has PERFECT pass throughs for four points.

The CS addresses ALL of these deficiencies for a track car (well, except the stupid too small rear brake caliper, but I "get it" - hard to reengineer that)

So, I sit back and listen to people bitching about not being able to get the B&W stereo upgrade, and the lack of the 360 camera and laugh. The market for the CS is not them. Stick to the regular M5 or competition and realize the CS was never, ever made for you, nor will you ever fully realize the potency of your M5. Ever. Only those who have been on a track with an M5 at 160mph and hauling it down for a quick left-right hander as fast as many high priced sports cars realize who the M5 CS was made for.

So let them complain. Don't see me bitching about the existence or unsuitability of the regular M5 or competition. I know it was made for powder puffs who will never ever drive at the limit - nor should they. Don't know how.

Shawn
What's your vin number, so I don't end up buying your tracked M5, lol

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      12-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #40
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
What's your vin number, so I don't end up buying your tracked M5, lol
It's in better engine shape than any of the "babied" ones driven 3 miles to the grocery store, not properly broken in, and not taken care of.

But, she's no longer in my possession. Not my vin to give out.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #41
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting to read all the criticism towards the CS styling. I personally think BMW nailed it.
Two different shades of gold in the wheel well was their first mistake. The grey is nice though.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #42
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Two different shades of gold in the wheel well was their first mistake. The grey is nice though.
I would normally agree but somehow it works to my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:47 PM   #43
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I tend to agree.

Shawn

You said the m5 is too heavy.

You then say the CS addresses all these concerns. It does not. The CS is only 200lbs lighter...

The M5, M5C, or M5CS are NOT track vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #44
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
What are Motorsport Badges? Hopefully not those silly MSport stickers that people put on the rocker panels.
They’re the badges they’re going to start putting on new M cars starting in March for the 50th anniversary of the M brand:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/25/b...versary-badge/
Appreciate 0