BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Comfort -> Sport/Sport+ with MPE

03-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
r1214
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Question Comfort -> Sport/Sport+ with MPE

First off- sorry if this has already been covered. I didn't find it in my searching. Also, I've seen the chart outlining the different modes and options, but that doesn't really address my question (it's a great chart though).

What exactly is happening when going between the modes when you have an MPE where the valves are controlled separately by the remote? Is anything other than throttle response changing? I coded out ASD, but I swear I can still hear *something* in the exhaust note that is different going from Comfort into Sport, and possibly even Sport to Sport+. I have even changed modes while off-throttle to try and eliminate any change in exhaust note from the ridiculously sensitive throttle response increase too. Maybe I'm just imagining it. My theory is nothing is happening other than a change in throttle response, otherwise the full DSC-off mode, which you would want to use on the track, would be hindered by not having whatever change might be occurring in Sport/Sport+... and that just doesn't make sense.

*Side note rant*- speaking of not making sense. Coming from an F80 M3, I'm not a fan of this single "all in one" Comfort-Sport-Sport+ settings arrangement. I miss having "power" adjustment in one button, then steering and EDC in different buttons, and being able to turn off DSC independently. I don't understand why turning on limited DSC or full-off DSC on the M2 would change the throttle response mode from Sport/Sport+ back to comfort-style either. While I'm ranting, it's dumb you can't turn on/off auto-blipping and that it only turns off when you disable DSC. Also funny that BMW decided to turn off auto-blipping in Sport+ on the F80, but left it on in Sport+ for the F87. Can't be consistent?? *end side rant*

All that being said, I'm not really complaining, I absolutely love this car. Can't wait for the next track day in 5 weeks.

Last edited by r1214; 03-03-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Sport and Sport plus adds more “burble” to the M2. That is due to the throttle response changes. So yes exhaust changes with mode selection even without opening the exhaust valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
r1214
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I should have stated more clearly that I do notice the extra burble in Sport/Sport+, but it sounds like it is overall louder as well. So I thought however unlikely that maybe something else was opening up elsewhere, or maybe the tune actually changes to a degree.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1214 View Post
Thanks for the response. Sorry, I should have stated more clearly that I do notice the extra burble in Sport/Sport+, but it sounds like it is overall louder as well. So I thought however unlikely that maybe something else was opening up elsewhere, or maybe the tune actually changes to a degree.
I know what you're referring to and I've always wondered what it was as well. It's definitely something else that changes the more of the exhaust independent of the exhaust valves
Appreciate 0