BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    I've tested the new M5Cs and...

08-27-2021, 04:40 AM   #1
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

I've tested the new M5Cs and...

Sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to test the new BMW M5 CS for a Portuguese television show of which I am a part.

I had serious doubts if the car would make sense of what an M5 represents, and if its price would be palpable in any way... Well, it isn't, but let's talks about that in a second ...

Now that BMW has bet on giving beavers for Instagram kids' pleasure, the BMW 5 series and 8 series are the only BMWs I still like, and still give me a taste of a good generation that will soon end.
Not only the most "normal" design (let's call it that) will end, but possibly this will be the latest generation of M5/M8 with engines without electrical assistance.

About the M5 CS. The car I owned was Frozen Brands Hatch gray metallic. For some reason in Portugal we don't have the beautiful Frozen Deep Green metallic which, in contrast with the golden details, looks amazing. The Gray one is incredible too..but not "as special"

On the outside, in terms of design, nothing to say. The car is beautiful, even though the facelift frontend costs me more to swallow than the previous version, due to the much larger grille, the headlights compensate for their design and beauty. It's still an M5 on the outside, but the golden details give it the special touch that a CS must have.

In terms of driving, nothing new, which is good. The M5 has always been an incredible beast. We can enter any turn and exit them as we want because it seems like the car is always there to save us. The M xDrive does his magic to master the 635hp. In the middle of Serra da Estrela (where the official photos of the car's launch were taken), I didn't have the courage to transfer the traction only to the rear wheels, i must confess .

The gearbox is very good, but in my opinion it needed a little more aggressiveness in gear changes. But I think it's just my opinion coming from a DCT on my M4.

I have never been afraid to push the car to the limit, nor with little confidence. It would be impossible to feel this, at the same speed, in one of the M3 or M4 younger brothers.

Inside is where all my disappointment is. Let's talk about prices: a normal M5 costs €150000 in Portugal, but the M5CS costs €225000!
For this price difference I expected more details, more exclusivity, and more refinement, as it is an M5!
The transported backets from the new M3 are horrible. The M5 has to be usable. Getting in and out of them is chaos, and I can't imagine the leather and its structure lasting 6 months with normal use.
The shiny trim on the steering wheel loks cheap, and the CS painted on the trim are lazy details. They were well executed but for the €75000 difference I want more than shiny gold, 15hp, painted CS, and Nurburgring symbols that don't make any sense. I expected Alcantra trims like the M4CS, exclusive seats that didn't exist in any other BMW, but that were as usable in everyday life as on the track.

As much as it was a car designed a little more for the track, we know that those who will give this money for the car are CEOs of technology companies who only use it to take their kids to school and go on vacation to the south of France in August.

I love the car, and I already loved the M5, and this weekend made me realize that I need to have one! But just the M5 Competition...
For €225000 I'll buy a Porsche Turbo S

PS. I also tested the new Hyundai i30N facelift. Everyone should buy one

Photos taken by https://www.instagram.com/luansilva.mov/

Last edited by cheveux; 08-27-2021 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 9
Foggins1334.50
Egrunt553.00
Maverik2594144.50
Simon H876.00
JOHNBMWM51990.00
stein_325i25086.00
Orjan185.50
      08-27-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Great review!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i think the only people bitching about race bucket seats are either

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

Otherwise, bucket seats are awesome.
Appreciate 2
JayZap16104.50
M40CCA1437.00
      08-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

Quote:

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

Trevor, respectfully, I think you're being a bit rash-

For example, how old are you? What do you think is the median age for the customer of a very well equipped M5c or M5cs? When an M3 or M4 customer opts for the CF buckets do they choose to give up cooling/massaging multi function seats? No, because those aren't even an option. How many hours do M5c or M5cs customers spend in their car on long drives? Traffic? Do they need flexibility of the rear split/fold down seat? Do they occasional need three across rear seats? Do M5c customers value the electronics not available in the M5cs or even just the conveniences such as a center console?

Once upon a time I had an option of getting an M4GTS or an M4c that I could "improve" without the compromises of the GTS tagging along. It was not even a question, no way to the GTS and yes to the Comp. And I have over 25 years of track experience at dozens of facilities.

Never nice to insult someone's decision making because you think the metrics can only be age or body shape.

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 9
Maverik2594144.50
cheveux406.50
Egrunt553.00
VPRKLR63.00
Jakerx716.00
JOHNBMWM51990.00
zdbmw46.00
ToddinTN504.00
PDOT133.00
      08-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

Calm down young buck. I get you and your dad own every M car known to man but no need to come out throwing jabs at someone just because you think differently about something.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 8
cheveux406.50
Egrunt553.00
Alberta2042.50
Jakerx716.00
wesleyan921414.50
      08-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPtDrift View Post
Quote:

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

Quote:

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

Trevor, respectfully, I think you're being a bit rash-

For example, how old are you? What do you think is the median age for the customer of a very well equipped M5c or M5cs? When an M3 or M4 customer opts for the CF buckets do they choose to give up cooling/massaging multi function seats? No, because those aren't even an option. How many hours do M5c or M5cs customers spend in their car on long drives? Traffic? Do they need flexibility of the rear split/fold down seat? Do they occasional need three across rear seats? Do M5c customers value the electronics not available in the M5cs or even just the conveniences such as a center console?

Once upon a time I had an option of getting an M4GTS or an M4c that I could "improve" without the compromises of the GTS tagging along. It was not even a question, no way to the GTS and yes to the Comp. And I have over 25 years of track experience at dozens of facilities.

Never nice to insult someone's decision making because you think the metrics can only be age or body shape.
Haha jinx
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 2
cheveux406.50
      08-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

The bucket seats look great. And yes they give excellent support, of course, but they are not great getting in and out. it's impossible for them to last 6 months without having the leather ruined.

im 34, 1.77m and 80kg. Am i A, B or C?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

I think you missed what this car is about and are a normal M5 buyer.. all your complaints are what the M5 is for.

This is a race car for the street. It’s not for CEOs to drive their kids to school. The people who buy this car want performance and they want the best and most unique performance available in this model.

One must sit down and take a serious think before buying a CS, because you’re giving up a lot of the everyday comforts for racing tweaks. Is the trade off worth it for your situation? You can not drive the CS around the inner city, picking up children and groceries and give it a review. This car should be WOT on a track or Autobahn to have a proper review.

At the end of the day the CS is a track car that can be driven on the street. Let’s not judge it on its ability to be a comfortable daily driver… that is what the M5 and M5 Competition are for.
Appreciate 5
cheveux406.50
Egrunt553.00
W///7513.00
Chicane_1050.00
      08-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

A-Too old

B-Too fat

C-Combination of both

M'urica comment
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #10
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
I think you missed what this car is about and are a normal M5 buyer.. all your complaints are what the M5 is for.

This is a race car for the street. It’s not for CEOs to drive their kids to school. The people who buy this car want performance and they want the best and most unique performance available in this model.

One must sit down and take a serious think before buying a CS, because you’re giving up a lot of the everyday comforts for racing tweaks. Is the trade off worth it for your situation? You can not drive the CS around the inner city, picking up children and groceries and give it a review. This car should be WOT on a track or Autobahn to have a proper review.

At the end of the day the CS is a track car that can be driven on the street. Let’s not judge it on its ability to be a comfortable daily driver… that is what the M5 and M5 Competition are for.
yes exactly, but how much is the M5CS in your country compared to a normal M5?
And for that money, can't you buy a more capable/focused car for the track?
And who is the real world buyer of a M5CS ?
I find it difficult to put this car on "a market" at this price. Just that
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post

This is a race car for the street. It's not for CEOs to drive their kids to school. The people who buy this car want performance and they want the best and most unique performance available in this model.

One must sit down and take a serious think before buying a CS, because you're giving up a lot of the everyday comforts for racing tweaks. Is the trade off worth it for your situation? You can not drive the CS around the inner city, picking up children and groceries and give it a review. This car should be WOT on a track or Autobahn to have a proper review.

At the end of the day the CS is a track car that can be driven on the street. Let's not judge it on its ability to be a comfortable daily driver… that is what the M5 and M5 Competition are for.
People with deep pockets and the desire for a real track car get a real track car, have it professionally transported to the track, fly in via helicopter, play with their track toy and then leave. The M5cs or any street car for that matter is not track car for the street. B.S. it is a compromised street car for someone who can't afford a track car.

Now if you want a more agile and more focused variant of the M5, than certainly the CS fits that description. It's a great car. But it is no more or less a track car than the M5c, it just has different trade-offs. A track car, by definition, is NOT a street car.

Appreciate 4
cheveux406.50
Jakerx716.00
MystroX56297.50
ToddinTN504.00
      08-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Calm down young buck. I get you and your dad own every M car known to man but no need to come out throwing jabs at someone just because you think differently about something.

I dont have a bmw anymore.

Im just simply saying, stop bitching about the seats. Dont like it, dont buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

I dont have a bmw anymore.

Im just simply saying, stop bitching about the seats. Dont like it, dont buy the car.
Looks like Civility isn't your strong suit.

Someone posted a review. Reviews can and do have critical commentary.

Here's an idea: if you don't like the review, ignore it. Since when did it become acceptable to disparage a dissenting opinion in a bona fide subjective editorial review? He said he preferred strawberry to chocolate and you lose your $h1+ over it.

Wow.

Appreciate 1
Egrunt553.00
      08-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Interesting perspective, and I think it's great to see some critical feedback. Having spent 3 years on an M5C, I'm really interested in what the M5CS will communicate if/when I get the car.

I was noticing the same thing about the seats - in many videos, I noticed that the leather on the buckets is already giving a little, and no longer taut. This is a bit concerning - my M5C seats are a lot more durable. I hope the buckets stand the test of time and use.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #15
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
There's always two sides to a coin; therefore there will always be a split between the consumer's preference between a mass produced model vs a limited edition model.

I'm just happy the BMW is willing to create choices for us consumers.

While the M5 CS is not a dedicated track car by any means; it is still a very different car from the M5/M5C.
If you gravitate towards saying that the M5CS is compromised compared to the M5C, then you just arent the target market segment for this car.

Every review published out there states how massively improved the driving experience is on the M5CS vs M5C. I don't see how the reviewer can state" In terms of driving, nothing new, which is good. The M5 has always been an incredible beast"

What I hate about this community is how many BMW M owners impose their justification/decisions for passing on limited car and say "you could just add this or add that for less money"
Or vise-versa; commenting on people's body type as justification over seats is just plain immature

Last edited by Day Laborer; 08-27-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 4
      08-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

The thing is it's not a proper track car because proper track cars have steel brakes, not carbon ceramics. Three reasons I didn't get the CS - rear seats make it unusable for normal life so might as well get a two seater GT3, harman kardon stereo is terrible compared to B&W, but most importantly carbon ceramic discs last 2-3 track days and then need replacing, which is beyond any reasonable person's pockets.

If they wanted to make the ultimate road M5 they should have kept B&W as an option and a rear bench as an option. If they actually wanted it used on the track they should have made steel brakes an options, which with the official m performance pads are absolutely rock solid on track even for 30 minute non stop lapping sessions. And should have put cup 2s instead of corsas, especially as michelin is an official tyre partner.

Now if anyone knows how to get the CS suspension setup onto a comp, I'm all ears.
Appreciate 3
Egrunt553.00
ToddinTN504.00
      08-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #17
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

AND, I'm willing to bet anything that the cs has rubber lines not proper steel lines. And a host of other important track considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS61 View Post
The thing is it's not a proper track car because proper track cars have steel brakes, not carbon ceramics. Three reasons I didn't get the CS - rear seats make it unusable for normal life so might as well get a two seater GT3, harman kardon stereo is terrible compared to B&W, but most importantly carbon ceramic discs last 2-3 track days and then need replacing, which is beyond any reasonable person's pockets.

If they wanted to make the ultimate road M5 they should have kept B&W as an option and a rear bench as an option. If they actually wanted it used on the track they should have made steel brakes an options, which with the official m performance pads are absolutely rock solid on track even for 30 minute non stop lapping sessions. And should have put cup 2s instead of corsas, especially as michelin is an official tyre partner.

Now if anyone knows how to get the CS suspension setup onto a comp, I'm all ears.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #18
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS61 View Post
I am interested as well. I am undecided if I am going to keep my 18 M5, it only has 9.4k miles over the past 3 years (still smells new inside) of ownership. My M5 is the true definition of a garage queen. I made the last payment to BMW Financial last month and I am waiting for the title in the mail.

Not in a hurry to sell and I just may keep it. With that being said I am contemplating putting BBS FI-R's or HRE P104's to freshen up the exterior look. I am also looking at installing the M8 adaptive dampeners if it is possible. On line the front left strut can be purchased for $1,426.55 (front will cost $2,863.51). I don't know what other associated parts would be required to complete the installation or if it is even possible. This will be more of a fun project as I am perfectly content with the acceleration and handling of my base M5. I will be standing by as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Egrunt; 08-27-2021 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #19
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Beautiful car... you have the right approach. Let's see what happens in the coming months with respect to details on the CS's underpinnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I am interested as well. I am undecided if I am going to keep my 18 M5, it only has 9.4k miles over the past 3 years (still smells new inside) of ownership. My M5 is the true definition of a garage queen. I made the last payment to BMW Financial last month and I am waiting for the title in the mail.

Not in a hurry to sell and I just may keep it. With that being said I am contemplating putting BBS FI-R's or HRE P104's to freshen up the exterior look. I am also looking at installing the M8 adaptive dampeners if it is possible. On line the front left strut can be purchased for $1,426.55 (front will cost $2,863.51). I don't know what other associated parts would be required to complete the installation or if it is even possible. This will be more of a fun project as I am perfectly content with the acceleration and handling of my base M5. I will be standing by as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #20
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Nice review and pictures. It was a minimal effort by BMW (for your price delta). 50% is absurd. In the US it makes a lot more sense. For me, only the enhanced steering feel is worth the difference in price. Regular M5 seats should be optional.

I was a die-hard BMW enthusiast for the past 35 years, right up until the 'M' everything mentality and finally the G80. This may be the last great BMW M5, if not the greatest of all time, before they totally bastardize the design.
Appreciate 2
Maverik2594144.50
Egrunt553.00
      08-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #21
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

At the OP’s price delta, I too would have gotten the 911 TTS. M5 CS at TTS prices needs a buyer looking for very specific characteristics. OP isn’t one of those, and that’s ok.

In the US however, the CS makes so much sense especially if you don’t plan on using it as a daily. It certainly can get groceries and can be driven around town (in comparable comfort to the the regular M5, per the reviews) but the charm will start wearing thin after a while. For a regular daily commuter, the regular M5 is probably more apt.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:03 AM   #22
Dark-Knight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

^^^^ thats what Im wondering, if the price difference were the same as in the US would he change his tune?
Appreciate 0