BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Easy to replace air duct cover?

02-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #1
M5 Large
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Easy to replace air duct cover?

Hi all,

As luck would have it, a rock or something has broken a plastic piece on my new M5 CS. This thing is like a rock magnet. But we shall rebuild!

I found the part number for a replacement piece and I ordered it online for less than the local dealership wanted. I may just try to put the work in myself to change the part out, if it's relatively easy to do.

The part number is 51118746628

M5 CS Cover, air duct, brake right. M5 PDC. M trim decor elements, front. Trim, Front

What would be a good resource online to find instructions or diagrams for how these pieces fit together? I really wanna plan out what I would do before starting since I don't wanna mess this car up. If it requires taking a bunch of stuff apart I will probably just find a reputable body shop or ask the BMW dealership.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Not to rain on your parade, and not answering your question, this part may need to be painted before installation as well.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
lucoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 bmw m5 comp

Garage List
2022 m5 comp  [0.00]
it doesnt need to be painted by the the air duct grille comes black. bmw goes by the vin so u should be fine. if u take it to a bodyshop most likely they will charge for the part and the installation of the grille.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:31 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Large View Post
Hi all,

As luck would have it, a rock or something has broken a plastic piece on my new M5 CS. This thing is like a rock magnet. But we shall rebuild!

I found the part number for a replacement piece and I ordered it online for less than the local dealership wanted. I may just try to put the work in myself to change the part out, if it's relatively easy to do.

The part number is 51118746628

M5 CS Cover, air duct, brake right. M5 PDC. M trim decor elements, front. Trim, Front

What would be a good resource online to find instructions or diagrams for how these pieces fit together? I really wanna plan out what I would do before starting since I don't wanna mess this car up. If it requires taking a bunch of stuff apart I will probably just find a reputable body shop or ask the BMW dealership.
Bumper removal at the minimum I would imagine. Doubt it’s really all that hard. The bumper comes off rather simply.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0