F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > strange IDrive message
Extreme Powerhouse

04-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

strange IDrive message

I was in the middle of a 4-hour drive home last night and an odd message popped up on my IDrive screen. I have a 2018 3-series with navigation and the navigation was active. A question popped up asking me if I thought it was time to take a break along with a picture of a steaming cup of coffee, There were 2 answers possible "yes, give me a choice of places" and "not now". I really didn't write down the actual text, but that is close. There are a couple of things that might be related or may be irrelevant. My car has lane departure warnings. I was returning home after attending a "required event" (wife's family). There were reasons we had to drive up there, attend and drive home the same evening. It was a 5-hour drive to get there, and we were halfway home so it was a long day for the driver. I don't think I was wandering in my lane, but I was tired enough that it is possible. The second thing is that at some point during the day, I realized that I needed an extra pound of coffee. About a dozen of the event attendees are coming to my house for dinner tonight and I am the cook. (the reason I had to drive back last night) All I could think of was Starbucks so I asked the little green man in the IDrive - where is the nearest Starbucks. The car and the phone both knew that at some point I was interested in coffee.

Any explanations?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

It's a feature that comes with the "Active Protection" package:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/...ligent-driving

Quote:
Active Protection.
In a critical situation, Active Protection initiates protective measures, such as tightening the seat belts, placing the seats upright and closing the windows and sunroof. In the unlikely event of an accident, automatic braking can bring the vehicle to a standstill, preventing or reducing the likelihood of follow-on collisions. In addition, to prevent hazards arising in the first place, the Attentiveness assistant recommends breaks whenever there are any symptoms of fatigue.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 04:09 AM   #3
f30vince
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 BMW 328i Luxury Line

It's not a "weird message" at all... it's a great feature to make sure you don't doze off while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Would something like this pop up if you don't have the lane departure warning system?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Thanks. I can believe I might have been less than focused. It was midnight and the 2nd 4-hour drive that day. (return after a wedding reception)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I have seen it several times... but only when my girlfriend is driving
And yes - it was during some long drives when she was tired and driving accordingly...