BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Stalling. LPFP question.

02-22-2024, 07:49 AM   #1
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Stalling. LPFP question.

Hi all

I am having issues with the car randomly stalling on startup. Reading the forums seems to be a LPFP issue.

Took it into my local INDI, explained the problem and mentioned it may be a LPFP issue. After diagnosis they found that cylinder 7 was misfiring. Swapped the coils around and still misfiring. Replaced the injectors on that bank and found that injector 7 was leaking. Picked the car up, put the around 400 miles on her across the weekend with no issues.

Driving back from work on Monday, pull into my street and smell dreaded hot radiator fluid. Pull into the drive, shut her down, pop the bonnet and the radiator reservoir tank is noticeably leaking. Something I keep a close eye on thanks to this forum.

Back to the INDI and replace the tank. Pick her up yesterday and headed out. Upon starting the car when she's already warmed up, she dies! Grrrr....

So my question - if the LPFP is on its way out does it throw any codes that can easily identify the issue?

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:30 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe 2 problems - leaking tank sprayed on injectors long enough to damage them, which is unfortunately not uncommon, and maybe an LPFP, which is also not uncommon. You may have to replace more injectors on that side. I would try to diagnose both issues separately to avoid unnecessary replacement, though it could end up being both pump and injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Maybe 2 problems - leaking tank sprayed on injectors long enough to damage them, which is unfortunately not uncommon, and maybe an LPFP, which is also not uncommon. You may have to replace more injectors on that side. I would try to diagnose both issues separately to avoid unnecessary replacement, though it could end up being both pump and injectors.
Thanks for the feedback. The indi actually replaced all 4 injectors on that side with new... so I'm thinking LPFP is next.

I'm just curious to know that if the LPFP is failing would it throw any codes?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:07 AM   #4
hookson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 2015, M5 2019

Faulty LPFP wing give you codes
Appreciate 0