Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
M4Jack
Rep
Drives: AW F90 M5CP

Significant changes post Break-In Service

I recently had my Break-In service completed on my F82 M4 with MPE and have noticed substantial differences in the car, and I am wondering whether this is normal and whether any one else has experienced it. I am unable to find similar experiences in other threads I've read, sorry if this is a carbon copy of something prior as I am new to these forums, AND in a different country! (Perhaps this is a country specific limitation?)

TLDR the issues I've had;

1. In Economy setting cruising with very little throttle application RPM's sat around 1400-1500, post service they are sitting at 1100.

2. In Sport setting similar to above, RPM around 200 lower cruising. Sport+ has similar feel if not feels a little bit faster.

The above two issues I'm not particularly phased with as when I want to do any spirited driving I use Sport+, and the lower RPM has lead to greater fuel economy.

HOWEVER, the most upsetting change I've noticed (myself and others) is the cold start. Starting the car in the morning was always an event, and I have found post-service the beast has been tamed so to speak. It sounds a lot softer.

If anyone could shed some light that would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by M4Jack; 04-05-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I didn't notice any change after my service. Oddly enough around 2000 miles the car started to come alive for me a bit more. Still not sure if I had finally just learned to drive it better without traction control intervening constantly or what, but post 2000 miles the car has felt stronger and more responsive to me.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
M4Jack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I didn't notice any change after my service. Oddly enough around 2000 miles the car started to come alive for me a bit more. Still not sure if I had finally just learned to drive it better without traction control intervening constantly or what, but post 2000 miles the car has felt stronger and more responsive to me.
Yeah I thought the differences were strange! Going to take it back in to have it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

There is no physical way that you are sitting at lower RPM at the same speed in the same gear. It is a mechanical connection so unless they gave you a different transmission during your service, you are imagining things.

It is possible they updated the DME with regard to exhaust valve schedule and you also must realize that the exhaust has a break-in period during which the sound deadening ages in and will change the sound of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Uhh. You realize ALL they do during the break-in service is change the oil/filter, drain & refill the rear differential oil, check your tire pressure and deactivate the car out of running-in service mode. Maybe a car wash too if they like you?

It's all in your head. Drive the car more and drive the car HARD to break in the exhaust and all will be well in the world again. The car will adapt to your driving habits; if you drive like a pansy it'll act like one. It's up to you to change the characteristics here on out.
Appreciate 3
      04-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
M4Jack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
Uhh. You realize ALL they do during the break-in service is change the oil/filter, drain & refill the rear differential oil, check your tire pressure and deactivate the car out of running-in service mode. Maybe a car wash too if they like you?

It's all in your head. Drive the car more and drive the car HARD to break in the exhaust and all will be well in the world again. The car will adapt to your driving habits; if you drive like a pansy it'll act like one. It's up to you to change the characteristics here on out.
No it's not all in my head but thanks for your response lol...

They had connected the electronic exhaust valve which was accidentally left unconnected when they first put it on and did not tell me. This lead to a significant difference in exhaust sound under 2500rpm. Changed back to how I received the car originally and all is well with the world.
Appreciate 0