BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    BMW M5 vs Aston Martin Vantage

09-01-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 F90

BMW M5 vs Aston Martin Vantage

I recently started to sell my car and get another car and found one Aston Martin Vantage which looks pretty cool to me. Just want to know if anyone here own one and can share some info with me. I'm not sure how fun that car be compare to M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #2
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

09-02-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The guys buying the Aston might be more interested in prestige or exclusivity or having a status symbol than performance.
Appreciate 2
Egrunt553.00
      09-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SahandBB View Post
I recently started to sell my car and get another car and found one Aston Martin Vantage which looks pretty cool to me. Just want to know if anyone here own one and can share some info with me. I'm not sure how fun that car be compare to M5.
When I was having difficulty sourcing my second M5, I did consider two very slightly preowned Vantages. One was a '21 with less than 3k miles with full PPF, black on alcantara black with two tone black and silver wheels ($134k sticker, offered to me at $129k). The other was a silver one with the upgraded brown interior leather (2500 miles, $144K sticker). At the time, my search took me to other cars that I would not have typically considered. I just figured that the price of the M5 was knocking on the door of more luxury cars like the Vantage, and those other cars were immediately available. Both those cars (especially the black one) were serious lookers, sounded great, and had unbelievable fit and finish as compared to the M5. My main issues were that they were both out of warranty, which scared me big time. I didn't want to go the 3rd party warranty route on such a rare car. Also, both vehicles had been previously titled, so in my state, I couldn't do a standard closed end lease like I could do on a (new) M5. Both dealerships tried to talk me into an open ended lease with a balloon payment at the end of 36 months of financing. I personally do not buy depreciating assets on credit, so if I am not buying outright, I'm leasing my cars.

Beyond its looks, it was tantalizingly fun to drive. It wasn't as fast (though close!) or loud as my M5, but it felt planted at all times. Beyond that, despite its small stature, the cabin was exceedingly spacious and roomy since all the interior volume is dedicated to only two seats. I thought it would be cramped and uncomfortable, but it certainly wasn't. And again, I think most would agree it's an objectively beautiful car, especially the rear.

I didn't appreciate the rear blind spots, but had the car checked out for me in all other regards, I would have gotten past it.

For me, at the end, I have a similarly sized, shaped and priced car as the Vantage (though no V8!) so it didn't make sense to be my DD. As much as I loved the car, I needed useable back seats.

Was it the car to replace my M5 as DD? Absolutely not. Will I snag one when I replace my other weekend car? Very, very likely.

No desire for a status symbol or anything of the like here — just appreciate unique performance automobiles.
Attached Images

09-02-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
When I was having difficulty sourcing my second M5, I did consider two very slightly prepared Vantages. One was a '21 with less than 3k miles with full PPF, black on alcantara black with two tone black and silver wheels ($134k sticker, offered to me at $129k). The other was a silver one with the upgraded brown interior leather (2500 miles, $144K sticker). At the time, my search took me to other cars that I would not have typically considered. I just figured that the price of the M5 was knocking on the door of more luxury cars like the Vantage, and those other cars were immediately available. Both those cars (especially the black one) were serious lookers, sounded great, and had unbelievable fit and finish as compared to the M5. My main issues were that they were both out of warranty, which scared me big time. I didn't want to go the 3rd party warranty route on such a rare car. Also, both vehicles had been previously titled, so in my state, I couldn't do a standard closed end lease like I could do on a (new) M5. Both dealerships tried to talk me into an open ended lease with a balloon payment at the end of 36 months of financing. I personally do not buy depreciating assets on credit, so if I am not buying outright, I'm leasing my cars.

Beyond its looks, it was tantalizingly fun to drive. It wasn't as fast (though close!) or loud as my M5, but it felt planted at all times. Beyond that, despite its small stature, the cabin was exceedingly spacious and roomy since all the interior volume is dedicated to only two seats. I thought it we be cramped and uncomfortable, but it certainly wasn't. And again, I think most would agree it's an objectively beautiful car, especially the rear.

I didn't appreciate the rear blind spots, but had the car checked out for me in all other regards, I would have gotten past it.

For me, at the end, I have a similarly sized, shaped and priced car as the Vantage (though no V8!) so it didn't make sense to by my DD. As much as I loved the car, I needed useable back seats.

Was it the car to replace my M5 as DD? Absolutely not. Will I snag one when I replace my other weekend car? Very, very likely.

No desire for a status symbol or anything of the like here — just appreciate unique performance automobiles.
Thanks for the great write up, I will going actually tomorrow for a test drive. I know it is not gonna be as fast as M5 ever but for me it's time to just get another car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That is true, I had bmw for past 14 years, I just want to try something way different from M5. I know I will miss it
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #7
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Quote:
When I was having difficulty sourcing my second M5, I did consider two very slightly preowned Vantages. One was a '21 with less than 3k miles with full PPF, black on alcantara black with two tone black and silver wheels ($134k sticker, offered to me at $129k). The other was a silver one with the upgraded brown interior leather (2500 miles, $144K sticker). At the time, my search took me to other cars that I would not have typically considered. I just figured that the price of the M5 was knocking on the door of more luxury cars like the Vantage, and those other cars were immediately available. Both those cars (especially the black one) were serious lookers, sounded great, and had unbelievable fit and finish as compared to the M5. My main issues were that they were both out of warranty, which scared me big time. I didn't want to go the 3rd party warranty route on such a rare car. Also, both vehicles had been previously titled, so in my state, I couldn't do a standard closed end lease like I could do on a (new) M5. Both dealerships tried to talk me into an open ended lease with a balloon payment at the end of 36 months of financing. I personally do not buy depreciating assets on credit, so if I am not buying outright, I'm leasing my cars.

Beyond its looks, it was tantalizingly fun to drive. It wasn't as fast (though close!) or loud as my M5, but it felt planted at all times. Beyond that, despite its small stature, the cabin was exceedingly spacious and roomy since all the interior volume is dedicated to only two seats. I thought it we be cramped and uncomfortable, but it certainly wasn't. And again, I think most would agree it's an objectively beautiful car, especially the rear.

For me, at the end, I have a similarly sized, shaped and priced car as the Vantage (though no V8!) so it didn't make sense to be my DD. As much as I loved the car, I needed useable back seats.

I appreciate uniques and beautiful cars as well. And if I were rich enough to afford a collection of cars that went low enough on my list to include the astons, I’d also be able to hire someone to handle the maintenance issues for me (think Jay Leno). I just don’t have the patience. I do love the look though.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
damianwo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
That is true, I had bmw for past 14 years, I just want to try something way different from M5. I know I will miss it
I’ve had a E60 M5 (longtube headers, evolve 100 octane tune, full cat delete, coilovers) and few cars after it as c63 amg renntech r2, nissan gtr fbo, audi r8 and nothing was near as exciting to drive as the M5. I’m having the same feeling with my current one.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
When I was having difficulty sourcing my second M5, I did consider two very slightly prepared Vantages. One was a '21 with less than 3k miles with full PPF, black on alcantara black with two tone black and silver wheels ($134k sticker, offered to me at $129k). The other was a silver one with the upgraded brown interior leather (2500 miles, $144K sticker). At the time, my search took me to other cars that I would not have typically considered. I just figured that the price of the M5 was knocking on the door of more luxury cars like the Vantage, and those other cars were immediately available. Both those cars (especially the black one) were serious lookers, sounded great, and had unbelievable fit and finish as compared to the M5. My main issues were that they were both out of warranty, which scared me big time. I didn't want to go the 3rd party warranty route on such a rare car. Also, both vehicles had been previously titled, so in my state, I couldn't do a standard closed end lease like I could do on a (new) M5. Both dealerships tried to talk me into an open ended lease with a balloon payment at the end of 36 months of financing. I personally do not buy depreciating assets on credit, so if I am not buying outright, I'm leasing my cars.

For me, at the end, I have a similarly sized, shaped and priced car as the Vantage (though no V8!) so it didn't make sense to by my DD. As much as I loved the car, I needed useable back seats.

Thanks for the great write up, I will going actually tomorrow for a test drive. I know it is not gonna be as fast as M5 ever but for me it's time to just get another car.
You're welcome!

How did the test drive go?
      09-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome!

Honestly it was better than what It was expected. Build quality is pretty good which you will expect from that car. Exhaust sounds pretty good which we all know Mercedes Amg V8 sound is the best. Also I realized Vantage have exactly same ZF 8-speed transmission as M5. Car is not near fast as M5 but It is fast, Maybe with some Stage 2 tune I can make it closer to M5. But it grabs a lot of attention on street. Technology wise it's using old Mercedes system, so that should say enough lol. No Adaptive cruise control, no auto hold, and many other things. Ride quality was awesome, almost more comfortable than M5 on comfort setting. Brakes same as M5 loud as f***. I'm still thinking about it, I just don't want to regret it in 2 months, I was hoping someone here owned one so can make the decision easier for me but overall I do like the car. It gave me F80 feeling when I was driving it which I missed it big time
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome!

Honestly it was better than what It was expected. Build quality is pretty good which you will expect from that car. Exhaust sounds pretty good which we all know Mercedes Amg V8 sound is the best. Also I realized Vantage have exactly same ZF 8-speed transmission as M5. Car is not near fast as M5 but It is fast, Maybe with some Stage 2 tune I can make it closer to M5. But it grabs a lot of attention on street. Technology wise it's using old Mercedes system, so that should say enough lol. No Adaptive cruise control, no auto hold, and many other things. Ride quality was awesome, almost more comfortable than M5 on comfort setting. Brakes same as M5 loud as f***. I'm still thinking about it, I just don't want to regret it in 2 months, I was hoping someone here owned one so can make the decision easier for me but overall I do like the car. It gave me F80 feeling when I was driving it which I missed it big time
That's awesome to hear that you enjoyed it overall! The build quality really stuck out to me as well. You get both sides of the coin with everything harvested from AMG — awesome engine, but Mercedes parts bin (and previous generation) infotainment.

Neither of the test ones I drove squealed. That would have irritated me if I went forward with it since it was my chief complaint about my then M5.

The ACC and AH and the like are where you see BMW shining through the M5, as opposed to it just being an M car.

I don't know what your relationship is with the dealership, but perhaps try getting an extended test drive. They should give you at least 24 hours. The group of dealerships I work with have let me test drive some comparable cars for up to 4 days because they know they'll get at least one sale or lease out of me per year, sometimes two, year after year. You'll definitely know better after being able to do that, if possible.

Good luck!
      09-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #12
SahandBB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome!

That's awesome to hear that you enjoyed it overall! The build quality really stuck out to me as well. You get both sides of the coin with everything harvested from AMG — awesome engine, but Mercedes parts bin (and previous generation) infotainment.

Neither of the test ones I drove squealed. That would have irritated me if I went forward with it since it was my chief complaint about my then M5.

The ACC and AH and the like are where you see BMW shining through the M5, as opposed to it just being an M car.

I don't know what your relationship is with the dealership, but perhaps try getting an extended test drive. They should give you at least 24 hours. The group of dealerships I work with have let me test drive some comparable cars for up to 4 days because they know they'll get at least one sale or lease out of me per year, sometimes two, year after year. You'll definitely know better after being able to do that, if possible.

Good luck!
On the M5 if brakes are bothering you, get EBC yellow stuff, you will be amazed how better they are and for me so far zero squeaking.
Maybe I will wait and see which combination I like and ask them if I can keep it for couple days.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome!

Good luck!
On the M5 if brakes are bothering you, get EBC yellow stuff, you will be amazed how better they are and for me so far zero squeaking.
Maybe I will wait and see which combination I like and ask them if I can keep it for couple days.
Fortunately, no squeal on my new M5 (yet)! However, I'm only at about ~2200 miles. Fingers crossed as my previous one started squealing before 1K.

Keep us posted!