BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Pre-LCI to LCI HK Audio Difference?

04-17-2022, 12:00 AM   #1
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Hello All,

After reading through the technical training manual posted for the F90, I went through F90 LCI training manual to "tie me over" a bit until my new LCI arrives.

In reading the materials that highlight the differences between the pre-LCI and LCI, I noticed something interesting in the Infotainment section (photos attached below). The LCI model's documents show a component simply labeled as "Booster." The description states, "[t]he booster is used in the F90 LCI and is an additional audio amplifier in the vehicle."

I cannot find the same component in the pre-LCI. I believe this component only exists on LCI models with HK audio. I, like many of you, had to give up BW audio on my incoming car if I wanted to see it in this lifetime, and am stuck with HK (again). So my long wind up brings me to my question…Is there an additional amplifier for HK on the LCI that pre-LCI did not have?

Has anyone owned both a pre-LCI and LCI with HK audio? Did your LCI HK sound better than your pre-LCI? Does anyone know if the LCI has an additional amplifier? For what it's worth, it seems that specs show the HK as a 600 watt system on both models.

P.S. Before anyone lays in to me, the technical training document referenced in the attached source is simply for the 2018 Infotainment system, and it DOES show a "Booster" as well, but doesn't show the amplifier (which makes me think they've labeled the amplifier in the pre-LCI as the booster), but that could be because it's part of the mid-RAM. The material that the source below references is also not model specific to the F90, pre-LCI or otherwise, and seems to be just about the Infotainment 2018 system generally.

Trying to figure out/set up a solution for the audio system on my new car other than BavSound (which I'll save for another post on another day). Thanks in advance for any input!
Attached Images

04-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

Hmmmm that’s and interesting question with respect to the bulletin. I can say that there’s a large difference between the HK in my F10 and the one in my F90
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer110! View Post
Hmmmm that's and interesting question with respect to the bulletin. I can say that there's a large difference between the HK in my F10 and the one in my F90
Thanks for the input! Is your F90 an LCI?

EDIT - Just saw from another thread of yours that yours is an LCI. I see you also seem dissatisfied with the HK.
      04-19-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post

EDIT - Just saw from another thread of yours that yours is an LCI. I see you also seem dissatisfied with the HK.
I wouldn’t say I’m dissatisfied with the H&K in the LCI. One in F10 was horrible. I coded the B&W sound profiles in last night and that helped me tweak the tune a bit more. Doesn’t sound as good as the B&W in the X7 M50i but it’s sufficient. The MPE exhaust also makes it easier to live with as well
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:47 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer110! View Post
Quote:

I wouldn’t say I’m dissatisfied with the H&K in the LCI. One in F10 was horrible. I coded the B&W sound profiles in last night and that helped me tweak the tune a bit more. Doesn’t sound as good as the B&W in the X7 M50i but it’s sufficient. The MPE exhaust also makes it easier to live with as well
Just went and read your other thread. Im going to try the coding route you andand HerkHealer and Ron1n we're discussing on my existing M5 and see if that helps.

Thank you!
      04-20-2022, 05:28 AM   #6
coM5ition
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Hello All,

After reading through the technical training manual posted for the F90, I went through F90 LCI training manual to "tie me over" a bit until my new LCI arrives.

In reading the materials that highlight the differences between the pre-LCI and LCI, I noticed something interesting in the Infotainment section (photos attached below). The LCI model's documents show a component simply labeled as "Booster." The description states, "[t]he booster is used in the F90 LCI and is an additional audio amplifier in the vehicle."

I cannot find the same component in the pre-LCI. I believe this component only exists on LCI models with HK audio. I, like many of you, had to give up BW audio on my incoming car if I wanted to see it in this lifetime, and am stuck with HK (again). So my long wind up brings me to my question…Is there an additional amplifier for HK on the LCI that pre-LCI did not have?

Has anyone owned both a pre-LCI and LCI with HK audio? Did your LCI HK sound better than your pre-LCI? Does anyone know if the LCI has an additional amplifier? For what it's worth, it seems that specs show the HK as a 600 watt system on both models.

P.S. Before anyone lays in to me, the technical training document referenced in the attached source is simply for the 2018 Infotainment system, and it DOES show a "Booster" as well, but doesn't show the amplifier (which makes me think they've labeled the amplifier in the pre-LCI as the booster), but that could be because it's part of the mid-RAM. The material that the source below references is also not model specific to the F90, pre-LCI or otherwise, and seems to be just about the Infotainment 2018 system generally.

Trying to figure out/set up a solution for the audio system on my new car other than BavSound (which I'll save for another post on another day). Thanks in advance for any input!
Can you please share the LCI technical training please? I couldn't find him anywhere…
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coM5ition View Post
Quote:
Hello All,

Can you please share the LCI technical training please? I couldn't find him anywhere…
The formatting isn't great, and it isn't as complete as the pre-LCI training manual because it only covers the differences from pre-LCI to LCI, but here you go!

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...ci.html#manual
      04-29-2022, 03:31 AM   #8
MB625
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp. LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by coM5ition View Post
PFA
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ST2008 F90 LCI Complete Vehicle.pdf (2.74 MB, 33 views)
Appreciate 0