BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Panel defects

12-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Panel defects

I have noticed that both front doors have defects in the metal work just below the door handles,the left hand being the worst.I took my car to the dealer I bought it from and his first reaction that it was damaged from somebody opening a door on it and then I told him to look again and he agreed it couldn't have done by outside forces.
We then went in to the showroom and he had a 520d there with a exactly the same defects and checked another 2 cars with the same result.

I then spoke to there bodywork guy and he said the first time he noticed it was when he fitted a new door to a 5 series and thought it was damaged in transit, he now realises that they are all like it.

The problem now is every time I walk up to the car my eye goes straight to the defects,they have offered to "repair" the doors but I am
unhappy with this as the paintwork will not be original.

My build date for my car was 3rd Sept 2019 and I did do a search to see if this has been mentioned before as I am sure I can't be the only to have noticed this but I couldn't find anything.

Let me know your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian335xd View Post
I have noticed that both front doors have defects in the metal work just below the door handles,the left hand being the worst.I took my car to the dealer I bought it from and his first reaction that it was damaged from somebody opening a door on it and then I told him to look again and he agreed it couldn't have done by outside forces.
We then went in to the showroom and he had a 520d there with a exactly the same defects and checked another 2 cars with the same result.

I then spoke to there bodywork guy and he said the first time he noticed it was when he fitted a new door to a 5 series and thought it was damaged in transit, he now realises that they are all like it.

The problem now is every time I walk up to the car my eye goes straight to the defects,they have offered to "repair" the doors but I am
unhappy with this as the paintwork will not be original.

My build date for my car was 3rd Sept 2019 and I did do a search to see if this has been mentioned before as I am sure I can't be the only to have noticed this but I couldn't find anything.

Let me know your thoughts.
Pictures would be helpful ...
      12-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

No! Don't post photo. I don't want to see it....my eyes....my eyes....

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
No! Don't post photo. I don't want to see it....my eyes....my eyes....
Lol. It is one of those things, if we know about it, we will never un-see it. And it will bother all of us.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

worked on several new 5'ers, and my father has one which i paint corrected thoroughly.. im curious as to what you see.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:09 AM   #6
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

I think it will be very difficult to photo,but I will have a go.The best way to see is to look from behind and my car is parked on a slight up hill slope and as I am walking up to the car as the light moves over the panel you can see it.

As you somebody said my eyes go straight to it every time now and I now find myself not looking at the car as I walk up to it so I can't see it!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
ernie uk
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5

From what you describe it sounds like you have seen press marks in the panel.
This is a defect which needs rectifying hopefully by paintless dent removal.
Appreciate 0