BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    DIY: F90 / G30 LCI Tail Lights Retrofit

07-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #111
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
I literally just pulled the trigger on US lights for US Car and then reached out to Vic. He said if I can source Euro Lights for US Car they will work fine and won't have any welcome light issues.

I can't seem to find a source for the Euro tails and I bet they are a lot more money, but would not mind looking into it. I can live without welcome lights, I rarely drive the car at night and the walkway FOB will be fine when I do. I am sure my US kit isn't going to ship today, so would not mind looking into the Euro kit.

Anyone have a clue on either who has a Euro kit or what the part numbers are?
Unless he has shown you proof he's just looking to make a sale. The issue isn't with the lights. It's with the software on the US vehicles. And how they're wired.

Only difference in US vs Euro is the yellow turn signal. And they have to be wired to the BDC in the passenger footwell if I recall for that to work. There's another thread on this where it's discussed.

Someone who's done it may chime in and correct me but that's all the research I've seen thus far.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #112
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Unless he has shown you proof he's just looking to make a sale. The issue isn't with the lights. It's with the software on the US vehicles. And how they're wired.

Only difference in US vs Euro is the yellow turn signal. And they have to be wired to the BDC in the passenger footwell if I recall for that to work. There's another thread on this where it's discussed.

Someone who's done it may chime in and correct me but that's all the research I've seen thus far.
Thanks, I will try and find that thread. I understand now exactly where the two wires come in now. I am not sure what you mean by him trying to make a sale. He is not selling me the lights, he is coding them and it's the same price for Euro or US lights.

Trouble now is I am up to $1,700 all in. Install went up because of the extra wires and Euro cost a little more. Need to evaluate the worth to me factor. In terms of the lights and how they will work after coding. Exactly as the US lights with the exception of the blinker being an amber strip of light on just the inner light.
      07-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #113
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about this wire that needs to be run for the Euro lights? Where, to, etc.? I can't find anything.
For euro lights. You either have to run 2 new wires from the 2 inner tail lights all the way to the front of the car to the BDC module.

Or the easier way is to run the wire from the inner tail lights, to the outer lights. Make a new wire from PIN#5 of inner lights and run it to PIN#2 of outer light, same for both sides.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      07-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #114
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
For euro lights. You either have to run 2 new wires from the 2 inner tail lights all the way to the front of the car to the BDC module.

Or the easier way is to run the wire from the inner tail lights, to the outer lights. Make a new wire from PIN#5 of inner lights and run it to PIN#2 of outer light, same for both sides.
Thank you. Since posting this question my shop informed me of the first choice, running from BDC (which increased he cost of the install). I will run option #2 by them.

So, from what I have gathered over the last few days is that the Euro lights will work perfectly on a US car including the welcome lights, but the blinker is a small amber strip on the bottom of the inner lights which may not be DOT compliant. Does this all sound accurate?
      07-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #115
euro*
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you. Since posting this question my shop informed me of the first choice, running from BDC (which increased he cost of the install). I will run option #2 by them.

So, from what I have gathered over the last few days is that the Euro lights will work perfectly on a US car including the welcome lights, but the blinker is a small amber strip on the bottom of the inner lights which may not be DOT compliant. Does this all sound accurate?
Yes that's correct.

They will blink only with the thin strip, plus the strip will light up in orange color, not red like in USA/Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #116
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't seen anyone say that euro lights don't have the welcome lights issues. But I could be wrong. The two threads are very confusing and most people discussing this issue don't really seem to know what they're talking about. My guess is they just paid someone oe their dealer to install and have no idea what works and what doesn't.

But I think they all have that issue and Several people doing the mod I believe got the euro version from eBay Germany if I recall.

Simply, I don't recall a single person in the US say they got welcome lights working regardless of what version they installed. Which makes me think it's a US software build issue and not a hardware one.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #117
euro*
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't seen anyone say that euro lights don't have the welcome lights issues. But I could be wrong. The two threads are very confusing and most people discussing this issue don't really seem to know what they're talking about. My guess is they just paid someone oe their dealer to install and have no idea what works and what doesn't.

But I think they all have that issue and Several people doing the mod I believe got the euro version from eBay Germany if I recall.

Simply, I don't recall a single person in the US say they got welcome lights working regardless of what version they installed. Which makes me think it's a US software build issue and not a hardware one.
Not correct. I know of guys in USA who have euro
lights and they don't have welcome light issues.

One guy actually got both sets. First he installed USA lights, had welcome light issues, and then switched to Euro lights, no welcome light issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #118
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:

I have been doing nothing but reading and I have seen more than a few people with Euro tails on US cars with full functionality after coding, including the troublesome Welcome Lights. I am also trusting the coder that many have used for this who advised me to get Euro's and assured me that welcome lights work on Euro installed on US cars. Of course every install might be different.

I completely agree on the confusion though. I thought I was jumping in later on this initiative and it was mature, but it appears to still have bugs at a high cost.

I am going to sleep on it over the weekend before buying the Euros. My shop will be installing and they know exactly what to do about the wire repin and running the new wires from the BDC module. Coder seems like a slam dunk. My only issue if you call it that is the thin amber blinker on the inside tail, which I think looks pretty cool, but definitely not DOT but may be an issue in MA where the state is sticklers with cameras in every independent inspection station.
      07-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #119
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One guy actually got both sets. First he installed USA lights, had welcome light issues, and then switched to Euro lights, no welcome light issues.
That's good. I haven't seen any evidence of that on here or I would have gone for the euro version myself. Oh well. Times like this make me wish this forum was a bit more involved by its members. Way more input and useful information on the X5 forum than I have yet to see in the year of owning my M5. Shame really. Too many older gents I guess who can just pay someone else to figure stuff out for them. Haha

So euro* just so I'm clear. You can install the euro version, and simply run a wire from the inner lights to the outer lights (not to the BDC) and retain full functionality AND no welcome lights issues?

I also couldn't find euro lights for as cheap as the US versions. Paid less than $1k usd and didn't see any for under $1700 on eBay etc.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #120
euro*
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's good. I haven't seen any evidence of that on here or I would have gone for the euro version myself. Oh well. Times like this make me wish this forum was a bit more involved by its members. Way more input and useful information on the X5 forum than I have yet to see in the year of owning my M5. Shame really. Too many older gents I guess who can just pay someone else to figure stuff out for them. Haha

So euro* just so I'm clear. You can install the euro version, and simply run a wire from the inner lights to the outer lights (not to the BDC) and retain full functionality AND no welcome lights issues?

I also couldn't find euro lights for as cheap as the US versions. Paid less than $1k usd and didn't see any for under $1700 on eBay etc.
Correct.

Euro lights are also illegal and not DOT approved. My whole point of the guide is USA lights on North American car, hence no euro light information.

For me having USA lights way more important than having functioning welcome lights. USA lights also have brighter stop signals, and turn signals. With the idiots like we have on our roads, something to consider too lol

Anyways, if you want more info, pm me.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      07-31-2021, 10:42 AM   #121
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Correct.
For me having USA lights way more important than having functioning welcome lights. USA lights also have brighter stop signals, and turn signals. With the idiots like we have on our roads, something to consider too lol

Anyways, if you want more info, pm me.
I don’t personally find the Euro stop lights less bright, and I find the amber works better to grab attention as a turn signal. Oh well. Different strokes.
Appreciate 1
Mcc420475.00
      07-31-2021, 05:38 PM   #122
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about this wire that needs to be run for the Euro lights? Where, to, etc.? I can't find anything.
You can either run a wire from the tail lights to a controller in the passenger footwell, or you can run a jumper wire just within the tail light compartment. As I mentioned, I haven't had time to install myself, but per my conversation with Vic, it's easily performed. I've been too busy on weekends but if I get around to it before you do, I'll post pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 05:59 PM   #123
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a supplier who has them (Euro) readily available for $1,100 shipped no tax. US lights are $1,000 plus tax and will take 6-8 weeks. If I move forward I would be paying two people to do the work for me, shop to install and coder, but make no mistake, before I pay someone to do something I know exactly how to do it myself, including running the wires from the BDC. I have the schematics. I just would rather pay someone more skilled to rip apart my trunk and also run a few wires from the passenger footwell to the inner tails.
      07-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #124
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Quote:
You can either run a wire from the tail lights to a controller in the passenger footwell, or you can run a jumper wire just within the tail light compartment. As I mentioned, I haven't had time to install myself, but per my conversation with Vic, it's easily performed. I've been too busy on weekends but if I get around to it before you do, I'll post pics.
Thanks again. Yup, I am aware of both. Jumping from tail to tail would only save me $75 bucks in labor, so going to do it right per spec.
      08-02-2021, 10:25 PM   #125
Abdul
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

I have Euro lights and NA lights in stock in Michigan. I think I'm the only one that has it in stock. I sold one set to a shop a few days ago. The owner of the shop was saying that even BMW USA doesn't have the NA version in stock at the moment. Plus, their prices are ridiculous. Two Euro sets going out today.

Here is a link. PM for a promo code if you're a bimmerpost member.

https://mpowermotorsports.org/produc...ory/exteriors/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:17 AM   #126
YanoM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual Nardo M5

I just installed the US spec myself and had Vic code them. Not sure if this has been covered but he said I have the 5 pin not the 4 pin on my car and could have plugged and played the euro and had no welcome light issues. Not sure if that applies to the guy who’s about to install the euro set above and not having to run another wire.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:23 AM   #127
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
I have Euro lights and NA lights in stock in Michigan. I think I'm the only one that has it in stock. I sold one set to a shop a few days ago. The owner of the shop was saying that even BMW USA doesn't have the NA version in stock at the moment. Plus, their prices are ridiculous. Two Euro sets going out today.

Here is a link. PM for a promo code if you're a bimmerpost member.

https://mpowermotorsports.org/produc...ory/exteriors/
Hey Abdul, we traded emails over the weekend. Unfortunately I chickened out. Too much coordination. I will wait for the US spec welcome light issue to get resolved or I will just pass. If I was doing the work myelf it would be one thing.
      08-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #128
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanoM5 View Post
I just installed the US spec myself and had Vic code them. Not sure if this has been covered but he said I have the 5 pin not the 4 pin on my car and could have plugged and played the euro and had no welcome light issues. Not sure if that applies to the guy who's about to install the euro set above and not having to run another wire.
So you actually had 5 wires in the 6 pin connector vice 4? Do you know what color was your extra wire?What year car do you have?

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this? Personally I don't mind the amber turn signal and if I can get lights that fully function I would prefer to just go with the euro version myself. I'm not gonna leave them on anyway.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:12 PM   #129
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a supplier who has them (Euro) readily available for $1,100 shipped no tax. US lights are $1,000 plus tax and will take 6-8 weeks. If I move forward I would be paying two people to do the work for me, shop to install and coder, but make no mistake, before I pay someone to do something I know exactly how to do it myself, including running the wires from the BDC. I have the schematics. I just would rather pay someone more skilled to rip apart my trunk and also run a few wires from the passenger footwell to the inner tails.
Ya my dealer is going through Germany to get them. But paid $990 + tax and free shipping. Supposed to be end of the month when they arrive.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #130
YanoM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual Nardo M5

Quote:
So you actually had 5 wires in the 6 pin connector vice 4? Do you know what color was your extra wire?What year car do you have?

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this? Personally I don't mind the amber turn signal and if I can get lights that fully function I would prefer to just go with the euro version myself. I'm not gonna leave them on anyway.
Yup 5 wires in the 6 pin connector. 2018 Left side I had the extra black with yellow stripe and right side I had an extra black with white stripe. According to Vic or Euro on here they said I could have plug and played the euro with no coding and re wire.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      08-04-2021, 01:19 AM   #131
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

just be proud of the pre lci you have.

dont be a poser
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:26 AM   #132
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post
just be proud of the pre lci you have.

dont be a poser
Actually don't think anybody does this so they can masquerade as a LCI M5. I 100% think the LCI tails look infinitely better and also makes the Competition models - especially on lighter cars - look much better with the darker / more pronounced taillights. The rear valance is jarring with the sharp glossy black on a light colored f90, IMO. However, on the LCI? I think it works and everything comes together because of the taillights.

I don't even know why your mind would even go there. Unless you're the type to thumb their nose on people who drive an older model vehicle then you? This is a car forum. Most come here because they love cars and modding cars. Few come to be a dickhead apparently.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00