BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2017 911 991.2 to M5 competition, maybe??

01-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Johndani
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

2017 911 991.2 to M5 competition, maybe??

Hello everyone I'm a long time Bmw 5 series guy. Last was my 2018 m550 went back a couple of months ago on a lease return. Really loves that car and almost bought it back but had 56k miles and numbers didn't make sense. So anyway I thought I'd wait it out , until about two months ago I stopped a the local Porsche dealer just thinking about something different. Anyway I saw a 2017 carrera 911 991.2 4S.. with only 10k miles. One owner like new CPO. I drove car and fell In Love with it, atleast that's what I thought. Yes this was an impulse buy but the price was really right. Now two months later man I'm missing my m550. Can't explain why really, I mean this cars is gorgeous it's fast roomy enough and the PDK tranny and launch control is unreal. The sound As well with the upgraded exhaust is crazy as well. There even a turbo boost and the car goes crazy when you hit that. I will say lots more road noise then Beamer and way less luxurious. I like to consider this car a Dd but I do have a late model F150 that I use sometimes especially if weather is crappy. Anyway I'm toying with the idea of trading it In already. I might have a 2021 m5 competition built. Yes financially this is not very smart but I feel if I do this quick I'll get less hurt than if I keep a year or so and still don't like. I just feel I may never love this porsche. You might say why M5? I dont need the 4 doors I have my f150 plus wife has x3. It's just me. Me and these BMW's. I posted something along these lines on the Porsche renlist forum when I first had some remorse. People pretty much yelled at me and said I should not be comparing the cars. Well I'm not tracking the car so why not? I just like fast cars that handle nice and have a bit of luxury. I went with the automatic pdk on the Porsche purposely because I though it would be more of a dd. Anyway am I being hasty again? Will I learn to love the Porsche will i regret the M5 ( I feel
Like I won't because I always loved that car)I sometimes think with the Beamers there all over the place and my 130k car will like anyone's 40k 535. Well please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I don't really like any other Bmw. Although the x6m they have there is pretty sick. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Panny GTS ftw. If I could justify the cost, I'd be in one in a heartbeat. Have you driven at least a Panny 4S? You'll get a good amount of the 911 handling and feel with (arguably) better luxury. For a big car, it handles as sublimely as most Porsches, and has exceptional build quality.

I'm considering the M5C as well because the new G80 looks dead in the water to me, and with 2 car seats still in the back, I can't justify a 911 just yet.

I'm even seriously considering a Macan Turbo.

If you can't wrap yourself around the 991, or a Panny, then the M5C is a fantastic car imho. Top of my list for now anyways

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndani View Post
Hello everyone I'm a long time Bmw 5 series guy. Last was my 2018 m550 went back a couple of months ago on a lease return. Really loves that car and almost bought it back but had 56k miles and numbers didn't make sense. So anyway I thought I'd wait it out , until about two months ago I stopped a the local Porsche dealer just thinking about something different. Anyway I saw a 2017 carrera 911 991.2 4S.. with only 10k miles. One owner like new CPO. I drove car and fell In Love with it, atleast that's what I thought. Yes this was an impulse buy but the price was really right. Now two months later man I'm missing my m550. Can't explain why really, I mean this cars is gorgeous it's fast roomy enough and the PDK tranny and launch control is unreal. The sound As well with the upgraded exhaust is crazy as well. There even a turbo boost and the car goes crazy when you hit that. I will say lots more road noise then Beamer and way less luxurious. I like to consider this car a Dd but I do have a late model F150 that I use sometimes especially if weather is crappy. Anyway I'm toying with the idea of trading it In already. I might have a 2021 m5 competition built. Yes financially this is not very smart but I feel if I do this quick I'll get less hurt than if I keep a year or so and still don't like. I just feel I may never love this porsche. You might say why M5? I dont need the 4 doors I have my f150 plus wife has x3. It's just me. Me and these BMW's. I posted something along these lines on the Porsche renlist forum when I first had some remorse. People pretty much yelled at me and said I should not be comparing the cars. Well I'm not tracking the car so why not? I just like fast cars that handle nice and have a bit of luxury. I went with the automatic pdk on the Porsche purposely because I though it would be more of a dd. Anyway am I being hasty again? Will I learn to love the Porsche will i regret the M5 ( I feel
Like I won't because I always loved that car)I sometimes think with the Beamers there all over the place and my 130k car will like anyone's 40k 535. Well please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I don't really like any other Bmw. Although the x6m they have there is pretty sick. Thanks
You are the only one that knows what makes you happy. I had a 2018 M5 and a 2019 991.2TTS at the same time. Both very different. Both very awesome.

I’d buy an M5 again if I wanted a 4 door saloon that is the best on the planet. Awesome looks,, power ,, handling and an outstanding interior/ergonomics. Sounds better than a Porsche too. A V8 twin turbo like God intended.

991.2 is a different deal. Insane fast.

If an M5 is what you want, trade the Porsche and don’t look back. Liked is short. Enjoy it.

Good luck !
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Johndani
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
You are the only one that knows what makes you happy. I had a 2018 M5 and a 2019 991.2TTS at the same time. Both very different. Both very awesome.

I’d buy an M5 again if I wanted a 4 door saloon that is the best on the planet. Awesome looks,, power ,, handling and an outstanding interior/ergonomics. Sounds better than a Porsche too. A V8 twin turbo like God intended.

If an M5 is what you want, trade the Porsche and don’t look back. Liked is short. Enjoy it.

Good luck !
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:

I'd buy an M5 again if I wanted a 4 door saloon that is the best on the planet. Awesome looks,, power ,, handling and an outstanding interior/ergonomics. Sounds better than a Porsche too. A V8 twin turbo like God intended.

If an M5 is what you want, trade the Porsche and don't look back. Liked is short. Enjoy it.

Good luck !
Do you still have the Porsche?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Seems the M5 is a better fit for you, all things considered. Can't blame ya, the F90 M5 is definitely a great car!

But perhaps do test drive a 2021 first before pulling the trigger, would be even worse financially if you actually do end up going back to the Porsche afterwards.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Do you still have the Porsche?
Yes, but that is not a ding toward the M5. Both are awesome, but different.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Replace the Carrera 4S with a Turbo S and you won't think of an M5 I gave the M5 to my wife since I wasn't really driving it anymore. The Turbo S is my DD and it actually drives a smidge softer than the M5 Comp, which is ridiculous, imho.