01-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #23
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_M5 View Post
I didn't hear anything, but knew about it from here.

When I booked my car in to have a faulty telematics unit looked at, they told me it had a recall due, so they did that at the same time as they fixed the fault.
When I use online booking for the service and enter my registration, it states Recall = No.
Is this classified as an official recall? As there's nothing on VOSA either.
I will give dealer a call next week. Just want to know whether I need to try and backup my settings 😜
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #24
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

VOSA recalls are for critical safety issues.

This is one the the many recalls that just need doing when the car is next in the workshop. It's unlikely to actually need doing. Mine had the earlier fuel pump recall done when it was in having it's first proper service (the annual one after the break-in service)

Yes, backup your settings to a USB stick and then remove it from the car.

When they do the "fix", it's a complete reprogram and all settings are wiped. Even though I did that, I still lost my M buttons and some "global" settngs like gesture control being off, but everything else came back from the backup - which was good as the seat and mirrors were nowhere near where I wanted them.
      01-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #25
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
VOSA recalls are for critical safety issues.

This is one the the many recalls that just need doing when the car is next in the workshop. It's unlikely to actually need doing. Mine had the earlier fuel pump recall done when it was in having it's first proper service (the annual one after the break-in service)

Yes, backup your settings to a USB stick and then remove it from the car.

When they do the "fix", it's a complete reprogram and all settings are wiped. Even though I did that, I still lost my M buttons and some "global" settngs like gesture control being off, but everything else came back from the backup - which was good as the seat and mirrors were nowhere near where I wanted them.
I've copied my driver profile to my display key incase the normal key gets wiped.
Then hoping I can copy back from the display key to normal key.
I will back up to usb too. This car has A LOT of settings that I really don't want to have to re-enter. Took me me months to get it just how I want
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 03:20 AM   #26
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
I've copied my driver profile to my display key incase the normal key gets wiped.
Then hoping I can copy back from the display key to normal key.
I will back up to usb too. This car has A LOT of settings that I really don't want to have to re-enter. Took me me months to get it just how I want
Would you mind sharing, how do you carry out the back-up to the display key?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #27
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I would add that even (for earlier cars) if you back up to USB.....your option for car tracking in the MY Vehicle settings will be set to default of Off by the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:06 AM   #28
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

I used the display key once and decided it was too bulky and offered nothing over the normal key and the app on my phone which I always have with me anyway.

Does it actually store a copy of the profile, or does it just assign the profile to the key as with "normal" keys?

It's a good idea to back it up to a USB stick as well just in case.
      01-10-2021, 06:38 AM   #29
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I used the display key once and decided it was too bulky and offered nothing over the normal key and the app on my phone which I always have with me anyway.

Does it actually store a copy of the profile, or does it just assign the profile to the key as with "normal" keys?

It's a good idea to back it up to a USB stick as well just in case.
I think PaulT is right, it's just assigning a profile that's stored in the idrive to a key.
I've backed up to usb too.
I now got the Dear BMW customer message on idrive that it needs the fuel vent module updated
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #30
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
I think PaulT is right, it's just assigning a profile that's stored in the idrive to a key.
I've backed up to usb too.
I now got the Dear BMW customer message on idrive that it needs the fuel vent module updated
Had my 2021 LCI done in December NO settings changed, backing up a copy of the Profile is a good idea as pre-LCI could loose some settings. The LCI will not accept a USB profile download for some reason!!.
      02-18-2021, 04:22 AM   #31
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Jan 19 build Comp. Had my recall for the fuel tank vent done on Tues. All my settings were wiped out. I loaded them back in before I drove out if dealership. Only took a minute. At least then didn't have to fiddle with the seat all the way home! All my shortcuts, M1/2 buttons all imported.
Only things I've noticed so far is the interior lights were different colour and the idrive built in GPS location was off.
Not sure about any changes to exhaust sound as was absolutely hissing down on way home.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:08 AM   #32
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UK spec Jan19 M5C, had the fuel tank vent modules updated and the exhaust sounds same to me. Still have plenty pops and bangs in Sport+
Appreciate 0