BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ap racing or Alcon

10-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
driver91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Ap racing or Alcon

Looking to run 18s on the cs. Any reason one is beter than the other they seem very similar
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Both are great kits with proven track records. Full disclosure we are a dealer for Essex so I am definitely a fan of their AP kits. We started running them with excellent results and then as we progressed into our business side pursued relationships with those companies with the parts we prefer to run ourselves. They have been absolutely excellent on every platform we have run them on. Race wheel to wheel with them, have them on some very fast cars - they have always performed. That being said the Alcons look like a good piece of kit as well. I'm actually going to try a set out on one of our current shop builds as I always love to try everything. Assuming you go through either Bimmerworld or Essex (or one of their dealers ) they both are excellent companies to work with.

Some APs in action on an M2 at one of the hardest tracks on brakes around

Appreciate 4
      10-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #3
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I also recommend the AP racing and buying them from OG Shark. Everyone that has road in my car including professional drivers have always complimented how awesome the brakes are.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
      10-19-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
I also recommend the AP racing and buying them from OG Shark. Everyone that has road in my car including professional drivers have always complimented how awesome the brakes are.
^+1 just ordered APs for my car from OG Shark.

I'm sure Alcons are great, but I've used APs on two previous cars and they were flawless.
For me the decision was easy and working with OG Shark has been fantastic.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
      10-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #5
driver91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

AP has our vote!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2022, 11:43 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Both are great kits with proven track records. Full disclosure we are a dealer for Essex so I am definitely a fan of their AP kits. We started running them with excellent results and then as we progressed into our business side pursued relationships with those companies with the parts we prefer to run ourselves. They have been absolutely excellent on every platform we have run them on. Race wheel to wheel with them, have them on some very fast cars - they have always performed. That being said the Alcons look like a good piece of kit as well. I'm actually going to try a set out on one of our current shop builds as I always love to try everything. Assuming you go through either Bimmerworld or Essex (or one of their dealers ) they both are excellent companies to work with.

Some APs in action on an M2 at one of the hardest tracks on brakes around

Holy moly are your calipers glowing in that shot too?

That's insane levels of heat, and for the calipers to be ok to keep doing this over and over again goes to show the AP stuff is really good.

Last edited by F87source; 10-21-2022 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
      10-22-2022, 08:12 AM   #8
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Holy moly are your calipers glowing in that shot too?

That's insane levels of heat, and for the calipers to be ok to keep doing this over and over again goes to show the AP stuff is really good.
Yeah they pretty much went nuclear on that run . Definitely right though the AP stuff is really good to be able to handle that abuse.

Seeing in that pic both the good and the bad of the M2C. Good - the ceiling on the car is just so high. That pic is on the back straight of COTA from about 165 to 45. Not many cars can keep up with how hard it pulls in the configuration it was in at that time. Bad - it is a bit of a pig. Wears it’s weight well but it can be really punishing on brakes.

As a rule I do not run brake ducts on a dual duty car until it absolutely needs them. This car is getting a serious bump in performance from this point so ducts are going in - I think that pic shows we are about at the limit at this pace. Testament to the APs like you said though - what we were running there were the fastest laps by an F8x at COTA and still in a full weight street car.
Appreciate 2
F87source7253.50
      10-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #9
ninjagaiden
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ap2 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

As a rule I do not run brake ducts on a dual duty car until it absolutely needs them. This car is getting a serious bump in performance from this point so ducts are going in - I think that pic shows we are about at the limit at this pace. Testament to the APs like you said though - what we were running there were the fastest laps by an F8x at COTA and still in a full weight street car.
Why no ducting for dual purpose cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 08:42 PM   #10
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagaiden View Post
Why no ducting for dual purpose cars?
To me not worth the potential negative & hassle of them makes them not worth it until absolutely needed. And street usage typically compounds it.

Do I Need Brake Ducts on my Track Car
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2022, 08:19 PM   #11
DLEFTY
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M2C

I’m all for the AP’s, probably will be my choice should I ever want to “upgrade” the braking system…..but I am a bit surprised at the lack of Alcon usage on the forums by the track crowd considering Alcon is the front brake set up on the M2 CS R cars that run in the SRO GT Challenge America series.
      11-10-2022, 02:39 AM   #12
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEFTY View Post
but I am a bit surprised at the lack of Alcon usage on the forums by the track crowd considering Alcon is the front brake set up on the M2 CS R cars that run in the SRO GT Challenge America series.
I suspect good marketing by Essex offering a kit to early adopters has contributed to this.
      11-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEFTY View Post
I’m all for the AP’s, probably will be my choice should I ever want to “upgrade” the braking system…..but I am a bit surprised at the lack of Alcon usage on the forums by the track crowd considering Alcon is the front brake set up on the M2 CS R cars that run in the SRO GT Challenge America series.
Yes, both versions of the CS Racing (the standard and 450hp car) use Alcon brakes—the 450hp car uses different ENP calipers with quick-release clips front and rear. On the other hand, both the F and G series M4 GT4s use AP calipers? Why that is, I do not know. Customers will run what BMW has given them.

As MR. RIZK said, it's likely due in part to marketing, but also to availability of information and customer support. I have APs front and rear and if I need something, there are any number of dealers or Essex directly who are able to help me out. I have zero doubts that the Alcons are similar in performance to the APs. On a subjective note, I find the Radical Pro5000R calipers more aesthetically pleasing than the CR6420 Alcon calipers that are available in the US kits (not the same caliper on either version of the CS Racing).
Appreciate 2
MR RIZK757.50
      11-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #14
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

As others have noted, continuity of support is a huge deal that people don't often recognize. It's not uncommon to run into problems with your brakes at the track. When you do, you need to be able to pick up the phone and speak with someone asap. You need spare parts on-hand nearby, not on the other side of the world. This is where we (Essex, AP Racing's exclusive North American distributor) excel. We have a team of 30 people in Charlotte, NC and pretty much all we do is brakes. We have live humans answer the phone 8am-5pm every weekday. We have live chat. We have a warehouse with several million dollars of AP Racing discs and spare parts, Ferodo brake pads, fluid, etc. We have our brake dyno for testing, our own engineering staff, burnishing machines, caliper and master cylinder rebuild area, etc. That cannot be said for many of our competitors. The value of service when dealing with brakes cannot be underestimated.

Thanks for your support gents. FYI...we just launched our Black Friday Sale, so if you're looking for AP Racing now is a good time!

Finally, the AP Racing Radi-CAL is a far more advanced design than Alcon's current offerings in the BMW market.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 01:27 AM   #15
dmsm2tw
Mrookie
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

Having the same debate here, but leaning more towards AP, what's everyone's setup if you are daily driving the M2 and racing on the weekends? PRO 5000 R or RAD-Cal II?
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 01:39 AM   #16
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsm2tw View Post
Having the same debate here, but leaning more towards AP, what's everyone's setup if you are daily driving the M2 and racing on the weekends? PRO 5000 R or RAD-Cal II?
Pro5000R if you are going racing. The painted calipers will fade and chip after repeated track use.

PM us for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 02:01 AM   #17
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

I went for the RAD-CAL set up. It’s a weekend car that I do a few trackdays in
I wanted them to look good Aswell as preform so that’s why I ended up with that set up.
The PRO 5000s came in back so me being picky would have had to get the rear callipers painted to match or match the front to rears.
Plus I was never going to drop to 18” wheels which the pros clear. (My RAD set up has to run 19s but they are HUGE)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #18
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Here is an article we put together for those struggling to decide between our Road and Competition Brake Kits:

Which type of AP Racing Brake Kit is right for me?

If you have further questions, feel free to PM or email me. I have been the head of Essex's High Performance Division for nearly 15 years, deal directly with AP Racing in England, and happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #19
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
As MR. RIZK said, it's likely due in part to marketing, but also to availability of information and customer support. I have APs front and rear and if I need something, there are any number of dealers or Essex directly who are able to help me out.
Providing great customer support and being a part of the community turns out to function as pretty great marketing. It’s a heck of a concept.

I’m not in the market for a brake upgrade just yet as the stock blues are holding up at Barber but I’m a great example of the above sentiment. If/when I end up upgrading I’ll be voting Essex with my duckets.
Appreciate 1