BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Do I need new brakes??

10-28-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5/ 2024 X7 40i

Do I need new brakes??

Hello All!

Trying to make an educated decision here. 5000 miles ago I switched from oem brakes to EBC red stuff pads to reduce brake dust. At the time, my co-worker mechanic told me that he could resurface slotted rotors (yes I know, sigh) so he did. Car was braking just fine, no issues until recently. Bad vibration coming from high speeds when braking. We check out the rotors and the front 2 rotors are heavily warped. I’m not sure if I ruined them when I got the rotors resurfaced.

Anyways, I got 2 new rotors but according to every forum I’ve read, it is highly suggested to also replace the pads. Given that they only have 5,000 miles, if that, I’m relunctant to replace them. What are the odds that my brakes are also compromised? Should I even risk it or just shell out and get new pads?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
GTTC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

You have experienced the issue my local BMW Master Tech told me about. He advised me once it comes time to replace the brakes just go ahead and bite the bullet and install new rotors. Don’t resurface because it will warp, and with time old rotors most likely also warp. The reason he gave me was the design of the rotors itself was thin enough to reduce max weight without sacrificing stoppping power. The downside of that is a pricier break pads replacement.

And to answer your question, Yes…. I would install new pads as well.
Appreciate 1
Rup9168.50
      10-29-2023, 09:48 PM   #3
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

You most likely did not warp your rotors. The red stuff is a lower performance brake pad than oem. You most likely exceeded the limits of the pad. Not to tthe point of brake fade but to you are just under it and then brought the car to a stop with the brakes still applied (i.e., spirited driving then stopping at a red light). This causes uneven pad buildup on the rotor surface which gives the pulsing, vibrating feeling when applying the brakes.

You can either replace the affected rotors or clean them to remove the pad deposits. I would look at higher performance pads. If you are still wanting to stay with EBC, the yellows will handle harder breaking and will dust less than OEM. Now you do have to be aware they will dust a bit more than the red but the dust is grey.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 10:23 PM   #4
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
You most likely did not warp your rotors. The red stuff is a lower performance brake pad than oem. You most likely exceeded the limits of the pad. Not to tthe point of brake fade but to you are just under it and then brought the car to a stop with the brakes still applied (i.e., spirited driving then stopping at a red light). This causes uneven pad buildup on the rotor surface which gives the pulsing, vibrating feeling when applying the brakes.

You can either replace the affected rotors or clean them to remove the pad deposits. I would look at higher performance pads. If you are still wanting to stay with EBC, the yellows will handle harder breaking and will dust less than OEM. Now you do have to be aware they will dust a bit more than the red but the dust is grey.
Interesting. I do a lot of spirited driving on my way home and there is quite a few red lights. When we checked the rotors, we did see a couple spots where we thought maybe I got the brakes too hot and made a complete stop. I thought EBC were better quality. Live and learn, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:18 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You are not overheating your brakes on street driving. Stock rotors and pads can handle track driving.
Appreciate 1
gsrbri559.50
      11-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

To answer your question, definitely replace the pads along w/the rotors - cheap insurance.

On the rotors, the amount of mass of these rotors is significant and you feel the pad transfer in the form of vibration and NVH.

I also assume you are referring to all 4 rotors vs only the front?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 10:20 AM   #7
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

It’s really just the front but I went ahead and got rears too.
Appreciate 0