BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    F90 Catback Suggestions

03-26-2024, 09:27 PM   #23
oreo_carName
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Told ya
Ended up getting the MAD catback and it sounds AMAZING! I can finally hear an amazing turbo spool noise now, and this setup is the perfect volume....loud, but not obnoxiously loud...Highly recommend this catback. I was initially concerned about not liking the deeper exhaust tone, since this is an H-pipe exhaust, but it honestly sounds much better than the x-pipe exhaust in person (opinion).

One caveat is that the drone did get worse.....There really is a huge difference between valves open and valves closed from outside the car, but I cannot tell much of a difference when inside at lower RPMs...since that's the drone range (and our cars have a lot of insulation). I might do some research and see if there is a way to reduce the drone, but I think this might just be a lovely trait of the S63....
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 10:07 AM   #24
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo_carName View Post
Ended up getting the MAD catback and it sounds AMAZING! I can finally hear an amazing turbo spool noise now, and this setup is the perfect volume....loud, but not obnoxiously loud...Highly recommend this catback. I was initially concerned about not liking the deeper exhaust tone, since this is an H-pipe exhaust, but it honestly sounds much better than the x-pipe exhaust in person (opinion).

One caveat is that the drone did get worse.....There really is a huge difference between valves open and valves closed from outside the car, but I cannot tell much of a difference when inside at lower RPMs...since that's the drone range (and our cars have a lot of insulation). I might do some research and see if there is a way to reduce the drone, but I think this might just be a lovely trait of the S63....

Thanks for the positive review Is the catback your only mod?

Can you turn off ASD is this car ? The g8x guys say it helps alot.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:26 PM   #25
oreo_carName
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the positive review Is the catback your only mod?

Can you turn off ASD is this car ? The g8x guys say it helps alot.

Currently running the MAD secondaries and MAD catback. Perfect volume and tone in my opinion.

I have disabled ASD through bimmerlink and it did seem to help, but I still do notice a drone. I have a feeling that drone is just a "feature" of this engine though.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:35 PM   #26
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Currently running the MAD secondaries and MAD catback. Perfect volume and tone in my opinion.

I have disabled ASD through bimmerlink and it did seem to help, but I still do notice a drone. I have a feeling that drone is just a "feature" of this engine though.
its common in low rpm situations or when the motor is lugging a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:50 PM   #27
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have read of increased resonance in the 1700-1800 rpm range with aftermarket exhausts. In efficient mode, gentle cruising on the highway, I can hear a little more sound right around 1700-1800 with my aftermarket titanium exhaust. It is barely noticeable to me. It may be that is a natural rpm point to get some increase in resonance. It may also be that an H or an X crossover helps and the location of the crossover may also be a factor. My exhaust has an X located about halfway. A couple of aftermarket exhausts have bigger mufflers than others, like the FI and Armytrix.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:08 AM   #28
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

The drone is there even with the stock exhaust setup but its muffled by the cats. Once you make your setup more free flow, the sound is amplified including the drone so its more noticeable

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #29
oreo_carName
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have read of increased resonance in the 1700-1800 rpm range with aftermarket exhausts. In efficient mode, gentle cruising on the highway, I can hear a little more sound right around 1700-1800 with my aftermarket titanium exhaust. It is barely noticeable to me. It may be that is a natural rpm point to get some increase in resonance. It may also be that an H or an X crossover helps and the location of the crossover may also be a factor. My exhaust has an X located about halfway. A couple of aftermarket exhausts have bigger mufflers than others, like the FI and Armytrix.
My previous setup was a secondary downpipe and an x-pipe near the end of the exhaust, which had a solid drone. I still had the stock resonaters and mufflers for that setup, and I noticed that the drone got worse after changing the catback. I am just getting used to it now, but I am still looking into solutions for this issue,
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:00 PM   #30
oreo_carName
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The drone is there even with the stock exhaust setup but its muffled by the cats. Once you make your setup more free flow, the sound is amplified including the drone so its more noticeable
This is what I was thinking as well....now to find a way to make it silent with the valves closed
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 04:02 PM   #31
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is what I was thinking as well....now to find a way to make it silent with the valves closed

Should be fairly silent with the valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:19 PM   #32
oreo_carName
Rep

Quote:
Should be fairly silent with the valves closed.
There is a solid amount of drone with the valves closed, as said above. I will say that there is a huge difference between valves open and valves closed outside the car.
Appreciate 0