BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    EVOLUTION RACEWERKS Downpipes install

04-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Compitition

EVOLUTION RACEWERKS Downpipes install

My installer is having a hard time with the driver side full downpipe install. He said the left side had no issues it went right on. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on getting the right driver side to fit properly? He's saying the ER downpipes are not the best fit. I told him from everything I've read or heard ER downpipe don't have many fitment issues. Maybe mine just came from a bad batch. Thanks for any help on this install.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_m5 View Post
My installer is having a hard time with the driver side full downpipe install. He said the left side had no issues it went right on. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on getting the right driver side to fit properly? He's saying the ER downpipes are not the best fit. I told him from everything I've read or heard ER downpipe don't have many fitment issues. Maybe mine just came from a bad batch. Thanks for any help on this install.
Gintani told me the same thing when they installed my secondaries, they eventually got it to fit loosening the bracket bolts and rotating the upper DP. then we had to push the entire exhaust system forward by maybe 1/4" so that the lowers don't leak. It's a shit show, and i brought this all up to ER and they never got back to me. Not buying their products again that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
Gintani told me the same thing when they installed my secondaries, they eventually got it to fit loosening the bracket bolts and rotating the upper DP. then we had to push the entire exhaust system forward by maybe 1/4" so that the lowers don't leak. It's a shit show, and i brought this all up to ER and they never got back to me. Not buying their products again that's for sure.
Thanks, I'll pass this on to my installer. You know I don't usually cheap out on things like this but like I mentioned, everything you read here people have said fitment is pretty spot on. I would 100% spend 1500 more instead of dealing with crap like this. I'm sure they will finally get it installed but bad fitment downpipes lead to other issues like rattling and leaks. Hopefully, this thread will help others make better decisions
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
M5.f90
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5 2019

Be carefull my friend put a secondary downpipe from ER and the fitment wasn't perfect
It almost blow his engine
20k of dammage !
      04-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyass.rachidi View Post
Be carefull my friend put a secondary downpipe from ER and the fitment wasn't perfect
20k of dammage !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyass.rachidi View Post
20k of dammage !
What happened exactly ? Was it an install issue or a fitment issue ?

What damage did it do? Symptoms?

I have evolution on my car and want to watch out for any issues
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Hmm, I personally have installed a few as other shops locally that I know.
We always managed to get installed properly.

AFAIK, you have to keep everything loose first before you can start tightening them.

It is not as easy as Keller where everything falls into place easily, but IMO they are still manage-able.

I have seen bad downpipes from other brands where nothing is lining up.

It is the same as buying an exhaust system between Akrapovic to cheaper brands. Akrapovic is very easy to install where everything will fall into place, while others, you may have to make a few adjustment before they are exactly the way it supposed to be.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
ss_m572.50
      04-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
All the cheaper brands will have their fitment bugs it seems, so far i've heard...

One recently melted his SSR Downpipes for having an aggressive flame tune
One had fitment issues with ER (had to go back to his installer twice)
One had fitment issues with Boostlogic (gasket issues or installer issues)

Should of contacted bm3tuning or jairomvp182 for Kellers, Project Gamma or MSR

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
ss_m572.50
      04-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Hi,

I apologize for the issues you are having. If you are having issues with installation, please contact us at fredsu@evolutionracewerks.com or call us at 626-334-6609. We will try our best to figure out the issue and get it sorted out. If there is an issue with the part we will send replacements right away.

Fred Su
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
All the cheaper brands will have their fitment bugs it seems, so far i've heard...

One recently melted his SSR Downpipes for having an aggressive flame tune
One had fitment issues with ER (had to go back to his installer twice)
One had fitment issues with Boostlogic (gasket issues or installer issues)

Should of contacted bm3tuning or jairomvp182 for Kellers, Project Gamma or MSR
I should be getting SSR downpipes installed sometime next week. I also looked at ER as well as Keller but $3500 is kind of steep for just downpipes. I hear the quality is great but just too pricey for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #10
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

I apologize that I dropped the ball and did not get back to you. I try my best to answer every e-mail that comes in. I think I may have missed reading your e-mail or forgot to respond. I get a lot of e-mails daily and at times it’s difficult to manage and remember to respond. Please e-mail me at fredsu@evolutionracewerks.com or call me at 626-334-6609 and I will sort out whatever issues you may have.

Fred Su
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
Hi,

I apologize for the issues you are having. If you are having issues with installation, please contact us at fredsu@evolutionracewerks.com or call us at 626-334-6609. We will try our best to figure out the issue and get it sorted out. If there is an issue with the part we will send replacements right away.

Fred Su
Just pm you
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
I should be getting SSR downpipes installed sometime next week. I also looked at ER as well as Keller but $3500 is kind of steep for just downpipes. I hear the quality is great but just too pricey for me.
Ask jairomvp182 or bm3tuning for a hookup tell them I sent you

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      04-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #13
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
I apologize that I dropped the ball and did not get back to you. I try my best to answer every e-mail that comes in. I think I may have missed reading your e-mail or forgot to respond. I get a lot of e-mails daily and at times it’s difficult to manage and remember to respond. Please e-mail me at fredsu@evolutionracewerks.com or call me at 626-334-6609 and I will sort out whatever issues you may have.

Fred Su
Quote:
Thanks for jumping in. I'll have my installer get in touch with you tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:29 AM   #14
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
I have ER upper and lower DPs and so far no issues.....will update if that changes.
With the BM3 OTS Stage 2 93 octane tune it runs great!

What I really like is with no cats and the Comp catback you get a little pop at startup and at WOT it sounds amazing, but idle, cruising, part throttle accel it sounds very close to stock from the driver seat (I am sure that is not the case from the sidewalk).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #15
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm running same setup the primaries and secondaries w m performance exhaust sound freaking amazing IMHO pops and bangs are beautiful and for daily driving not really noticeable difference, until you get on it

What times are you putting down on your 60-130 with the HCP/BM3 map ? Just curious
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12969.00
      04-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #16
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

DP will all perform about the same. At this point I don't give a damn about how ER performs or what they sound like. This is a installation thread I'd like to hear more about how guys installation went.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #17
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
DP will all perform about the same. At this point I don't give a damn about how ER performs or what they sound like. This is a installation thread I'd like to hear more about how guys installation went.
Uppers only here...my guy said install went just fine.
Appreciate 1
ss_m572.50
      04-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #18
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

My installation went fine

Call Brian at above and beyond performance in west palm beach Florida

He had no issues maybe he can give some guidance for your shop
Appreciate 2
ss_m572.50
r33_RGSport12969.00
      04-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #19
KellerPerformance
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

AFAIK, you have to keep everything loose first before you can start tightening them.

It is not as easy as Keller where everything falls into place easily, but IMO they are still manage-able.

It is the same as buying an exhaust system between Akrapovic to cheaper brands. Akrapovic is very easy to install where everything will fall into place, while others, you may have to make a few adjustment before they are exactly the way it supposed to be.

Thank you !
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12969.00
      04-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear about your experience with them. We have dealt with ER for several years, their customer service is top-notch. So are their products.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12969.00
      04-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #21
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'm surprised to hear about your experience with them. We have dealt with ER for several years, their customer service is top-notch. So are their products.
I was as well based on their reputation. I only installed the ER lowers to the OEM exhaust piping and aside from the fitment issues, they got over those and then we ran into the issue with the exhaust piping sliding too far over the DP's and so they were leaking because the clamp on the oem exhaust pipe is tack welded on so it has to clamp onto the flare of the DP and it was clamping on where the flare was reducing on an angle, once we pushed the exhaust out towards the back of the car a 1/4" or so the pipe and clamp sat on the flare of the DP and the leak went away. I spoke to ER about it and the last conversation we had they were going to look into the issue and get back to me but never did. It is what it is, the DP's are on my car and they work now but they were not easy to install and Gintani knows damn well what they are doing over there building twin turbo GT3's among other things, a DP install for them should have been a breeze when the parts fit correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #22
Bmw.mozambique
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 Competion

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

my Akroz are not lining up nicely. could it be installer issue? they've told me they did everything to get them to line perfectly.

I thought it was a bit dubious
Appreciate 0