BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Test Drive

04-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

M5 Test Drive

One of my contacts at a SoCal BMW Dealer let me go for a short test drive of a brand new M5 today. Great car!

Here are my impressions:

1. NOTE: this was a Short drive and not a comprehensive drive--car had 2 mi. on it! Not my car, police around, etc.

2. Car sits lower than I could tell from the showroom cars I have seen. Feels sporty.

3. Excellent BMW quality on the interior. This has Black Full Merino Leather (full leather not worth it imo, but feel of leather is excellent). Overall nicer interior than I expected.

4. Liked the M1 and M2 Buttons and adjustability of massage seats, etc. Std. Alcantara headliner.

5. Light Carbon Fiber Trim would be better than the Dark Carbon Fiber of this car to break up/add contrast to a Black Interior.

6. Start up on idle sounds good-a bit mean.

7. Driving exhaust sound = banana in tail pipe! Sounds like drone on throttle.

8. Handles well, suspension nice and compliant, relatively flat cornering.

9. Hard to tell on power. I did not feel the 600hp. I got on it several times in sport and sport plus and it was ok. HOWEVER, I was on surface public streets, etc. and did not get into higher rpms where this car may really take off (cam and boost profiles?). My DD now is a F10 550i M-Sport with Dinan Tuning, so it is not a complete dog and I can get on that car.

10. Transmission was ok, but I did not have enough room, time or room on my license, etc. to really test down-shifting, etc. It appears that the "blipping downshifts" are only audible in sport + or something. Felt and sounded much less aggressive than Mercedes 4 Matic wet clutch set up. Again, my drive was short and I did not have the opportunity to try all situations and modes, etc. Not reasonable when it is not my car, etc.

Overall, I was more impressed with the M5 after the drive than before. Excellent car. I just need to determine if it is enough of a change from my current car (yes, better in every way, but looks similar and has other commonalities).

Good Job BMW!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I also drove the new M5 recently and was very impressed!
Appreciate 0