BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Pre-LCI F90 M5 AWD vs G80 M3 Comp AWD

06-24-2022, 03:54 PM   #23
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

The speakers alone should make you go with the preLCI f90...

at the end of the day even with all the M bits the G80 is a glorified base model 3 series... There is a big difference between the 3 and 5
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 11:16 PM   #24
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

My M4 is so much more fun to drive than the F90 M5C, never looked back
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #25
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

About a month ago I got my preLCI M5 (2020, so kinda LCI-lite). The M5 has so much unusable power where I live in the city. I have to find on/off ramps with long merge roads just to be able to wind out a gear. Started to think and feel the M5 was boring in the sense I couldn’t use the power, so it had me looking for a manual M3. So yesterday I test drove a G80 M3 6sp.

Half way through the drive I couldn’t wait to get out of the M3. It felt so cheap and plastic-y (it did not have the extended leather option). Driving position is significantly different and more sporty in the M3. Lower seat position, great view. M5 gives you that higher seat position which is different, but also great. And the M5 seats are just phenomenal... Yes I could wind out a gear or two and be at reasonable speeds in the M3, and I could go on but ultimately, I was so happy to be walking back to my M5 after that test drive. Your price range is right there with the pre-LCI. I happened to get a great deal on mine (dealer made an online price error by $4k ) so keep looking.

My $0.02, if you get the M5 you’re gonna love it. If you stick with the M3 you’re always going to want / wander about the M5…
Appreciate 3
jm490519.00
damianwo105.50
bmellion161.50
      07-29-2022, 07:20 AM   #26
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

So the M3 just arrived and I went and looked at it and its gorgeous and really stands strong with presence. I also just found an LCI 2021 M5 for the same exact price. non comp, exec pack, driver assist package, b&w, 6900 miles, donington on black.

Its not a comp and thats making it hard for me to jump on, do you guys think its worth it?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 01:11 PM   #27
Boiler Up!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
So the M3 just arrived and I went and looked at it and its gorgeous and really stands strong with presence. I also just found an LCI 2021 M5 for the same exact price. non comp, exec pack, driver assist package, b&w, 6900 miles, donington on black.

Its not a comp and thats making it hard for me to jump on, do you guys think its worth it?
What about the comp pack would you miss on the M5?

Drive them back-to-back and see which one had the edge in your mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #28
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:

I don't generally care for hyperbole and conclusions without substantive arguments, but for the sake of brevity, I'm going to do a little bit of both.

You should absolutely go with the M5. I have now owned both a base pre-LCI and a Comp LCI. There is no doubt that the Comp is in many ways better than the base, but the bigger delta is between the M3 and the M5. No disrespect to M3 owners, but you just cannot compare the two cars. Even if you had to forego a Comp to get an (especially LCI) base for the same price as an M3, I would definitely go with the M5 (assuming history, damages, etc. checks out; perhaps employ the use of a PPI). The M3, while a fantastic car, has nothing on the M5. A rip roaring V8, stability, and relative nimbleness for a machine of its size and weight. There's also the mere presence of an M5, and the fact that it created the category it's competitors attempt to compete against.

Im no BMW fanboy; in fact I've admitted on here I don't even generally like BMWs. But the M5 is the best daily driver I ever had.

I've heard many people contemplate the two, and many have on this forum, and as other members have mentioned, you'll likely always wonder if you settled with the M3. Let me tell you pointedly that you would be. Many whisper the sentiment even if they're not openly exclaiming it on these boards (though some have). I don't feel enough of a difference between a 3 series and an M3. Again, I'm going to (unintentionally) piss some people off, and I'm admittedly oversimplifying here and painting with a broad brush, but the M3 feels like a really high end 3 series when compared to the F90.

In the interest of fairness, if you came here and said your budget limited you to an M3, and you weren't sure if you should get it, I'd tell you it's the best car in its category, and a fine machine (and it is)! But comparing the two? There is no comparison.

EDIT — If it's mostly the aesthetics of the Comp you like, switch out all the parts you can to OE gloss black (kidney grills, side air vent trims, exhaust tips, mirror caps, badges…I did this on my base). Doable for around $1000 if you shop around; the only thing you'd really be missing aesthetically is Shadowline lights.
shawnhayes1834.00
      07-31-2022, 07:58 PM   #29
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:

Since we're on the M5 board, you should expect some bias.

BUT....

I'm sorry, but the 3 series is a great car. But it's not a FABULOUS car. BMW has for EONS focused on making the 5 series their flagship. While not nimble or light, its been the heavy hitter in the lineup. It's also the best value.

Look at the M5 CS. Most powerful road going BMW ever made. Why the heck did they pick the 5 series and not the 8 series? Because its the best car. The 8 is great but too expensive. The 5 is the best "in between".

So my vote is for the LCI M5. If you can get them for the same price in this market? the M5, by a mile.

Shawn
Appreciate 3
DavidXJ663.00
m_fife122.50
      08-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #30
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:

ResIpsaLoquitur and Shawn already make eloquent cases here for thinking seriously about this F90 opportunity over the G80. In seconding their endorsements of the M5, I'd only add that--as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread--I too had been in the market for a new M3 and would never have imagined myself seriously entertaining the M5, since i) I couldn't really stretch to financing a new one and hadn't at that point looked closely at the used market, ii) I always assumed the F90 would feel too large for British roads, and iii) that it wouldn't have that level of aggression and presence that I felt the new design language of the M3 expressed. How wrong I was on all counts; and how glad I am that the prospect of getting the horrific eyesore that is ID8 made me switch promptly from the 3 to the 5.

From the moment you sit in a F90 the quality of the seats and cabin exudes prestige and bespoke excellence, and then you press the start button... Well, even with all our EU noise regs and OPFs over here, there's nothing that matches the V8 charisma in this segment and it surpasses the G80's engine note, appealingly gravelly though that can be when pushed through the rev range. What's more, in my experience so far with my M5, there's actually not much about it that really, in practice, earns the term 'sleeper': it's always attracting attention and has loads of visual (and acoustic!) presence in a way that I wouldn't have expected from a car with a comparatively 'conservative' design in comparison to the new M3. I have folks wanting to chat to me all the time at fuel stations or when parking up in the street, just out of respect for everything that 'M5' represents--a heritage that no other saloon, even the venerable M3, can match.

Anyway, look: I can see that if you're ever thinking of becoming a track-day aficionado, then the M3 is undeniably attractive and may indeed be the logical choice. But in terms of the base M5, if you can live without the BHP bragging rights and lower stance (which does, undeniably, make the Comp look more imposing), then an amply spec'd '21 F90 is well worth a look. The LCI was never going to be an option for me, as they remapped the engine for late '20 models onwards in the EU, seriously quelling its sound. But you guys Stateside don't have that problem, so I hear (excuse the pun). At the very least, Donnington is a super flattering colour for this generation. Good luck with the deliberations.

D

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #31
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:

ResIpsaLoquitur and Shawn already make eloquent cases here for thinking seriously about this F90 opportunity over the G80. In seconding their endorsements of the M5, I'd only add that--as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread--I too had been in the market for a new M3 and would never have imagined myself seriously entertaining the M5, since i) I couldn't really stretch to financing a new one and hadn't at that point looked closely at the used market, ii) I always assumed the F90 would feel too large for British roads, and iii) that it wouldn't have that level of aggression and presence that I felt the new design language of the M3 expressed. How wrong I was on all counts; and how glad I am that the prospect of getting the horrific eyesore that is ID8 made me switch promptly from the 3 to the 5.

From the moment you sit in a F90 the quality of the seats and cabin exudes prestige and bespoke excellence, and then you press the start button... Well, even with all our EU noise regs and OPFs over here, there's nothing that matches the V8 charisma in this segment and it surpasses the G80's engine note, appealingly gravelly though that can be when pushed through the rev range. What's more, in my experience so far with my M5, there's actually not much about it that really, in practice, earns the term 'sleeper': it's always attracting attention and has loads of visual (and acoustic!) presence in a way that I wouldn't have expected from a car with a comparatively 'conservative' design in comparison to the new M3. I have folks wanting to chat to me all the time at fuel stations or when parking up in the street, just out of respect for everything that 'M5' represents--a heritage that no other saloon, even the venerable M3, can match.

Anyway, look: I can see that if you're ever thinking of becoming a track-day aficionado, then the M3 is undeniably attractive and may indeed be the logical choice. But in terms of the base M5, if you can live without the BHP bragging rights and lower stance (which does, undeniably, make the Comp look more imposing), then an amply spec'd '21 F90 is well worth a look. The LCI was never going to be an option for me, as they remapped the engine for late '20 models onwards in the EU, seriously quelling its sound. But you guys Stateside don't have that problem, so I hear (excuse the pun). At the very least, Donnington is a super flattering colour for this generation. Good luck with the deliberations.

D
Excellent points made here! I agree with you on all of this!
      08-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #32
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:

Since we're on the M5 board, you should expect some bias.

BUT....

I'm sorry, but the 3 series is a great car. But it's not a FABULOUS car. BMW has for EONS focused on making the 5 series their flagship. While not nimble or light, its been the heavy hitter in the lineup. It's also the best value.

Look at the M5 CS. Most powerful road going BMW ever made. Why the heck did they pick the 5 series and not the 8 series? Because its the best car. The 8 is great but too expensive. The 5 is the best "in between".

So my vote is for the LCI M5. If you can get them for the same price in this market? the M5, by a mile.

Shawn
[COLOR="BLACK"]"If you can get them for the same price in this market?"[/COLOR]

^ Excellent point in and of itself, Shawn. (Though I agree with everything!)
      08-06-2022, 04:02 AM   #33
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Been there, done that; F90 is boring to drive spiritedly; G82 is begging you to push it. No contest between the two for a keen driver.
Otherwise, if luxury or anything else, then yeah the F90 is better
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1745.00
      09-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #34
damianwo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

If you want to go rip it, tail of the dragon type or road the M3/4 is the car to be in. When you want to smoke some corvettes while getting a massage, drinking starbucks and having your wife on bluetooth telling you not to forget the detergent from target the M5 is the one.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 08:29 PM   #35
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

I picked up the M3 comp Xdrive 5 weeks ago. It's a fun car and it looks very tantalizing in person. I really love the design and how it looks. After 4 weeks in I've been still thinking about the M5C. The M3C is fun and nimble but after having owned a GT3 and a GTR the car feels like it floats to me and the steering feels numb.

With that being said I got offered a great number on the M3C (more than I paid) and I'm about to trade it in for a 2021 M5C. I figure why not have a more comfortable M if it's not going to feel close to the p-car anyways.

The numbers make sense and the M5C should be in my driveway this week. Looking forward to it. (Brands hatch Grey on black, comp, exec, driver asst pro, B&W)
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #36
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Update:

I picked up the M3 comp Xdrive 5 weeks ago. It's a fun car and it looks very tantalizing in person. I really love the design and how it looks. After 4 weeks in I've been still thinking about the M5C. The M3C is fun and nimble but after having owned a GT3 and a GTR the car feels like it floats to me and the steering feels numb.

With that being said I got offered a great number on the M3C (more than I paid) and I'm about to trade it in for a 2021 M5C. I figure why not have a more comfortable M if it's not going to feel close to the p-car anyways.

The numbers make sense and the M5C should be in my driveway this week. Looking forward to it. (Brands hatch Grey on black, comp, exec, driver asst pro, B&W)
You won't be disappointed.

Also, blistering MOST stock M4's around a track is fun.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      10-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #37
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Little update:

Trading in the G80 M3 for the 2021 M5 comp was the best decision I made. It's way more comfortable. Way more luxurious. The engine sounds incredible. The comfort features of the M5 put it on another level it's not even close. The B&W alone is worth the swap to me. The massage seats the soft close doors. Everything seems to just be better. The M3 floated to me on the road. The M5 feels planted to me and idk if it's just a bias effect but I feel the road more. Besides the M3 standing out more the M5 just looks so classy and it stands out in its own right and it gives off a presence I love. Last and LEAST my wife likes it a lot more lol.

Super excited to start doing some small mods gradually. I'll probably keep this car for a long time. Thank you all for the honest opinions and help!
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #38
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Little update:

Trading in the G80 M3 for the 2021 M5 comp was the best decision I made. It's way more comfortable. Way more luxurious. The engine sounds incredible. The comfort features of the M5 put it on another level it's not even close. The B&W alone is worth the swap to me. The massage seats the soft close doors. Everything seems to just be better. The M3 floated to me on the road. The M5 feels planted to me and idk if it's just a bias effect but I feel the road more. Besides the M3 standing out more the M5 just looks so classy and it stands out in its own right and it gives off a presence I love. Last and LEAST my wife likes it a lot more lol.

Super excited to start doing some small mods gradually. I'll probably keep this car for a long time. Thank you all for the honest opinions and help!
Awesome update! Sounds like your sentiments line up with most of ours. I knew you'd be stoked with an M5 and am so happy for you that you've got what you wanted now! Congratulations and enjoy it in good health.
      10-15-2022, 01:13 PM   #39
rick504
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I went the opposite direction. After two F90 comps and a new RS7 in between, I picked up a loaded 23 Jahre M3. I see the arguments both ways. The M3 with idrive 8 is a huge upgrade in everyday practice and the car feels much more direct steering wise, but in no way as luxurious or comfortable(mine has carbon buckets) I think the S58 in the M3 is a much better tuning platform and has much more potential which was a big factor in my decision.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      10-15-2022, 11:54 PM   #40
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Both cars are great and a win either way. Enjoy!
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      10-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #41
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you are a little guy or a young guy, the smaller size and reduced cushion of the M3 probably does not matter. They handle great and they can be modded well. I might have bought one if the AWD version had been out when I was buying, even though I am 6’3” and a few years into the 2nd half of my life. But I do like the M5 and don’t plan to trade it in for an M3 or 4.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      10-27-2023, 07:02 PM   #42
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah so a year into this and somehow I still find more things to love about this car. It’s amazing all around and having a 2.5 year old it’s ease of use and comfort is a huge plus. Also added all the Mperformance probably available carbon fiber and titanium exhaust. Dinan Monoball. Racechip.

Perfect all around car. Idk what I’d upgrade to next but as of now I have my name at my local dealer for the G99. We’ll see how that plays out and if it’s even better. If not I’ll be ok with keeping this for quite some time.

thanks again for all the insight here. Great forum great group of enthusiasts.

Enjoy yall weekends!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 07:40 PM   #43
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
About a month ago I got my preLCI M5 (2020, so kinda LCI-lite). The M5 has so much unusable power where I live in the city. I have to find on/off ramps with long merge roads just to be able to wind out a gear. Started to think and feel the M5 was boring in the sense I couldn’t use the power, so it had me looking for a manual M3. So yesterday I test drove a G80 M3 6sp.

Half way through the drive I couldn’t wait to get out of the M3. It felt so cheap and plastic-y (it did not have the extended leather option). Driving position is significantly different and more sporty in the M3. Lower seat position, great view. M5 gives you that higher seat position which is different, but also great. And the M5 seats are just phenomenal... Yes I could wind out a gear or two and be at reasonable speeds in the M3, and I could go on but ultimately, I was so happy to be walking back to my M5 after that test drive. Your price range is right there with the pre-LCI. I happened to get a great deal on mine (dealer made an online price error by $4k ) so keep looking.

My $0.02, if you get the M5 you’re gonna love it. If you stick with the M3 you’re always going to want / wander about the M5…
the problem with the manual G80 is the shifter and clutch have 0 feel, and the powerband of the car combined with the gearing it just doesn't feel fun or fast.
Appreciate 0