BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 v M2c (seriously)

07-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

M5 v M2c (seriously)

Hi guys - long time member here looking for some advice. Decided to post on the M5 forum since I suspect there are more folks in my personal/family situation than the general m2 consortium.

Some background:

I've been driving M cars since the early 2000's. Started with an e46 M3 in 2002. Been driving on track since 2003. After years of experience, I run in advanced but I'm far from a hot shoe and stay with street rubber.

I have an '08 M3 I bought new as a single guy and swore my next car would be Euro Delivery.

Fast forward to a wedding in 2011 and the first (of two) kids arriving in '13 and I compromised with an Audi daily driver - new Q5 3.0T in '13. The Audi is comfortable but I hate it and miss driving the e92 daily. The m3 (manual) sits in the garage.

I live in downtown DC. Potholes, curbs and tight parking spaces. Also two boys (age 2 and 5). I'm anal about cars. I hate scratches, dings and kid issues on the interior. The Audi has been abused.

I should add, for those unfamiliar, dc gets snow a few weeks each year. So AWD is not necessary but helpful.

Enough with the background. My wife gave the green light on a Euro delivery next year to correspond with my sabbatical from work. Has to happen before August so the new M3 is off the table.

I'm keeping the e92.

But bouncing between trading the Q5 (plus $35k of cash) on an M5 halo car or keeping the Q5 and putting down $10k on an M2C. I keep cars for a long time (e46 at 6 years, e92 at 11 years and Q5 currently at 6 years) so I buy and will finance the same amount in either situation (v rent...I mean lease).

Thoughts?

I should add that I put about 3k on my m3 per year between track events and cars and coffee/joy rides. And truly miss the fun and excitement of an m car daily as I put 10k on the Audi.

And before people ask, does the incremental $25k down matter? Sure. But I'm ok either way. And if I go M2, I'll need a new daily within 3 years.

Thanks in advance for thoughts. I seem to bounce around every day. I want that one salient thought that affirms a direction.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i find the m2 very underwhelming. I'd rather your debate be between the m5 and m3/m4 at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i find the m2 very underwhelming. I'd rather your debate be between the m5 and m3/m4 at least.
Appreciate the response but it's not an option in my quandary.

I am doing Euro delivery. In August next year.

So an m3/m4 isn't an option since they won't be available.

It's down to trading an abused daily (Q5) for a halo daily (m5) or keeping the daily and buying a second fun/track car (M2C) knowing I'll need to buy another compromise daily in 2-4 years (ie replace the daily).

I know this is strange but next year marks my sabbatical from work, my 40th birthday and I won't budge on ED for an M car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
quibbs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tesla MS '18 Ford Raptor

Have you test driven an M2 and a M5? If not, I suggest you do that first. Otherwise it's all completely theoretical and would be solely based on others subjective opinions. How often do you track? If you have not been then I believe you will regret buying the M2 as the choice is then based on a premise as opposed to something you already enjoy and participate in.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Appreciate the response but it's not an option in my quandary.

I am doing Euro delivery. In August next year.

So an m3/m4 isn't an option since they won't be available.

It's down to trading an abused daily (Q5) for a halo daily (m5) or keeping the daily and buying a second fun/track car (M2C) knowing I'll need to buy another compromise daily in 2-4 years (ie replace the daily).

I know this is strange but next year marks my sabbatical from work, my 40th birthday and I won't budge on ED for an M car.

my bad.

don't get an m2, thats my suggestion. lol
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      07-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbs View Post
Have you test driven an M2 and a M5? If not, I suggest you do that first. Otherwise it's all completely theoretical and would be solely based on others subjective opinions. How often do you track? If you have not been then I believe you will regret buying the M2 as the choice is then based on a premise as opposed to something you already enjoy and participate in.
Good questions...thanks for asking.

I track 4-6 weekends per year. My m3 is a compromised setup (2.5 of front neg camber, hr sport suspension, pilot cups, PF pads, fluids, etc) but it's not a track-specific car.

If I went the m2 direction, I suspect I'd get more aggressive on track focus.

I've driven the m2 and m5. I've done an advanced m school at thermal with some time in the m2 and an m track day in '18 at Monticello with the m2 and M5. Also scheduled for the M Town Tour in both the M2C and M5C in early August.

Adding one more thing- drove an e39 M5 at m school in 2003. And said, "I will own an M5" - hence my halo references.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Are you tracking your car on the track?
If you do keep the Q5 for family and get M2 it handles corner like a dream.
If not get the M5
soopa113.00
M 4EVER191.00
      07-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
If not get the M5
Quote:
If not get the M5
Thanks Miko. Btw - your M5 was superb! I loved the build thread.

I will continue to track but I suspect the M2 will take over for the m3 if I went that direction (saves on fears of bearing failures...etc).

In the event I go with the M5, the m3 will become more of a track rat.

All said, I'd need to see a time for VIR and Watkins Glen with the M5 for posterity sake.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      07-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:

I will continue to track but I suspect the M2 will take over for the m3 if I went that direction (saves on fears of bearing failures...etc).

All said, I'd need to see a time for VIR and Watkins Glen with the M5 for posterity sake.
Just by reading the OP, i can see that m5 is better for you. You already have an e92 m3 that you love and track, and it seems like you are bored with your daily q5.
This is the reason why you go m5. Daily fun, comfortable.
I sold my X5 because of this. Although an X5 is still okay, whenever driving w/ family or commute, it was not m enough.
Maybe you can consider an x3m or x5m (coming end of year or early next year).
x3m could be a perfect replacement.
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      07-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Quote:
If not get the M5
Quote:
If not get the M5

Thanks brother!!!
Wish you good luck and enjoy it in good health
      07-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini View Post
Quote:

Just by reading the OP, i can see that m5 is better for you. You already have an e92 m3 that you love and track, and it seems like you are bored with your daily q5.
This is the reason why you go m5. Daily fun, comfortable.
I sold my X5 because of this. Although an X5 is still okay, whenever driving w/ family or commute, it was not m enough.
Maybe you can consider an x3m or x5m (coming end of year or early next year).
x3m could be a perfect replacement.
Thanks buddy - affirmation of my lean.

Can't go XM (3 or 5) because they don't do ED.

Appreciate the perspective- thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #12
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Hi guys - long time member here looking for some advice. Decided to post on the M5 forum since I suspect there are more folks in my personal/family situation than the general m2 consortium.

Some background:

I've been driving M cars since the early 2000's. Started with an e46 M3 in 2002. Been driving on track since 2003. After years of experience, I run in advanced but I'm far from a hot shoe and stay with street rubber.

I have an '08 M3 I bought new as a single guy and swore my next car would be Euro Delivery.

Fast forward to a wedding in 2011 and the first (of two) kids arriving in '13 and I compromised with an Audi daily driver - new Q5 3.0T in '13. The Audi is comfortable but I hate it and miss driving the e92 daily. The m3 (manual) sits in the garage.

I live in downtown DC. Potholes, curbs and tight parking spaces. Also two boys (age 2 and 5). I'm anal about cars. I hate scratches, dings and kid issues on the interior. The Audi has been abused.

I should add, for those unfamiliar, dc gets snow a few weeks each year. So AWD is not necessary but helpful.

Enough with the background. My wife gave the green light on a Euro delivery next year to correspond with my sabbatical from work. Has to happen before August so the new M3 is off the table.

I'm keeping the e92.

But bouncing between trading the Q5 (plus $35k of cash) on an M5 halo car or keeping the Q5 and putting down $10k on an M2C. I keep cars for a long time (e46 at 6 years, e92 at 11 years and Q5 currently at 6 years) so I buy and will finance the same amount in either situation (v rent...I mean lease).

Thoughts?

I should add that I put about 3k on my m3 per year between track events and cars and coffee/joy rides. And truly miss the fun and excitement of an m car daily as I put 10k on the Audi.

And before people ask, does the incremental $25k down matter? Sure. But I'm ok either way. And if I go M2, I'll need a new daily within 3 years.

Thanks in advance for thoughts. I seem to bounce around every day. I want that one salient thought that affirms a direction.
Is M8/C an option?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:21 AM   #13
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

You already have a track car - go for the M5.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 01:49 AM   #14
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

If you get rid of the q5, would the M5 be primary way of transporting the kids and their paraphernalia around or is there another large vehicle in the household? I'd be nervous if it had to take on that duty if you are picky about keeping it pristine.

Otherwise if the M5 is the "halo car" you've always wanted... European delivery would be pretty sweet. I regret not doing that a little bit. Experiencing the Nurburgring and the autobahn in a new M5 would be amazing. A buddy of mine got his f10 that way and raved about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #15
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
If you can depend on the M3 to be your track car, GO for the M5!!! I recently sold my '15 M4 and '17 M2 to buy a '19 M5 Comp. I have ZERO regrets!!! I have been driving M cars for many years and wanted to experience owning the KING of the road - M5!!!

I truly love this car!!! Doing European delivery would be the icing on the cake!

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      07-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #16
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Quote:

Some background:

I'm keeping the e92.

Thoughts?

Is M8/C an option?
That would be awesome but above my price range.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #17
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR17 View Post
If you get rid of the q5, would the M5 be primary way of transporting the kids and their paraphernalia around or is there another large vehicle in the household? I'd be nervous if it had to take on that duty if you are picky about keeping it pristine.

Otherwise if the M5 is the "halo car" you've always wanted... European delivery would be pretty sweet. I regret not doing that a little bit. Experiencing the Nurburgring and the autobahn in a new M5 would be amazing. A buddy of mine got his f10 that way and raved about it.
M5 would be my primary kid transport. My wife has an A4 but we both work and split the boys transportation.

The M5 would need to be a grocery getter and school bus on occasion.

The idea of picking up an M5 in Europe, checking out the Ring and the Stelvio pas plus taking in an F1 race is super exciting.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #18
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

I may be biased here, but I'll say get the M5! Its two cars in one, a luxury 4 door sedan and a monster performance car. Clark Kent and Superman.
      07-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #19
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
F90 M5 all the way! Please drive it first and I would recommend not getting a competition model if it will be your daily driver! This car is the perfect car for your ED and for daily driving in DC. I did my ED last summer (2018) and it was an absolute blast. Good luck with everything.
auggiem3295.00
      07-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

What about an M2 Gran Coupe...kids should fit for several years, and the size seems just right for urban life?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep

The M5 was the right choice for me, but I was ready to go bigger (kids are teenagers now) and somewhat softer (tired of a bouncy and harsh ride).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #22
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep

But if a M2 gran coupe is a real car, I may want that when kids move out!
Appreciate 0