BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Damaged paint under OEM Spoiler.

03-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
This might be way out there for you, but, you could fit the OEM spoiler back on, to cover the paint, and fit the pro spoiler too, as they both fit on the car at the same time ?. You could then claim you have double downforce, and a unique set up ?. When i got my spoiler, my dealer and i unpacked it, and offered it up to a car in the showroom, and we said, we could leave the standard one in place, and fit the M Pro as well. Just a unique thought
Funny you mentioned this idea, I thought about that too,
Attached Images

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #24
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Right after spoiler removal. Before clean up
Attached Images

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #25
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
Yes but I was very reluctant to use any type of machine to do it. I soaked it good with a detail spray and rubbed it with my fingers and used a little bit of heat on it. It took me about 30 to 40 minutes of rubbing it with my fingers.
For the new spoiler (M pro) I cut strips of superstrong 3M body panel tape to fit the spoiler. Some areas I had to double it up. It’s stuck on there real good..you cannot get the spoiler off unless you were attempting to pry it off using some type of tool.
Do you still have the packaging of the tape? I'd like to see it and then locate some to buy.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Being that the car (and paint) is so new, I think a good shop could match it no problem. It's when the paint sees several years of sun that it gets difficult to match. You think you could get warranty to cover a repaint of the trunk? If so then I'd go that route.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
The Original trunk lip spoiler is held by double sided tape. But BMW apply the adhesion promoter so it stuck on it very good.
I have done a few on F90 and G30.
Taking them off are easy, cleaning it up is a bitch.

r33, Thanks for the reply,
Could i ask if you have seen, or had any problems of the paint being marked underneath the OEM spoiler, the same as the OP ?.
Nope, not like that.
What I've seen is just double sided rape residue and clear coat imperfection due to weathering.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
Right after spoiler removal. Before clean up
That seems to be a beta link, instead of double sided tape.
First time seeing trunk lip spoiler uses beta link.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #29
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
That seems to be a beta link, instead of double sided tape.
First time seeing trunk lip spoiler uses beta link.
Mine had betalink, already posted that. I removed it myself so I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #30
Tony007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

OP, from the pictures it looks as though the betalink displaced the clear similar to how a bird bomb would do. I have witnessed several times that displaced clearcoat (on dark colors) will self level through several heating and cooling cycles while the car is parked in the hot florida sun.

My strong suggestion if at all possible is to leave the car parked outside in the direct florida sun in the hottest part of the afternoon and pull it back into the garage to cool back down and keep repeating this process noting the changes to the damaged area. I have been truly amazed on several occasions where deep displaced clearcoat will self heal and flatten back out with this process. We are talking instances from bird bombs to adhesives where I thought repaint is the only fix. The softer the paint the more the clear has leveled itself back down.

I hope this helps..
15 M4 - sold - sapphire black
10 ZR1 - sold - black
Appreciate 1
MCOMP199.00
      03-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #31
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
OP, from the pictures it looks as though the betalink displaced the clear similar to how a bird bomb would do. I have witnessed several times that displaced clearcoat (on dark colors) will self level through several heating and cooling cycles while the car is parked in the hot florida sun.

My strong suggestion if at all possible is to leave the car parked outside in the direct florida sun in the hottest part of the afternoon and pull it back into the garage to cool back down and keep repeating this process noting the changes to the damaged area. I have been truly amazed on several occasions where deep displaced clearcoat will self heal and flatten back out with this process. We are talking instances from bird bombs to adhesives where I thought repaint is the only fix. The softer the paint the more the clear has leveled itself back down.

I hope this helps..
Tony, Thanks, I will try that.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #32
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Update.
I removed my standard gloss black rear spoiler this morning, and can confirm that it was held in place by doublesided tape only, no betalink.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #33
The.M5
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 2018

Quote:
This might be way out there for you, but, you could fit the OEM spoiler back on, to cover the paint, and fit the pro spoiler too, as they both fit on the car at the same time ?. You could then claim you have double downforce, and a unique set up ?. When i got my spoiler, my dealer and i unpacked it, and offered it up to a car in the showroom, and we said, we could leave the standard one in place, and fit the M Pro as well. Just a unique thought
hahaha nice one bro.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #34
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

Resurrecting thread. Same thing happened to me. Actually did return original carbon spoiler to cover defect and attached pro spoiler as in pics. Crazy but I think I like it better than either separately. Kinda 1+1=3.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #35
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Had same challenge. Body shop removed oem spoiler (non carbon) and had to wet sand, etc. Then fitted new m pro setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #36
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Had same challenge. Body shop removed oem spoiler (non carbon) and had to wet sand, etc. Then fitted new m pro setup.
My body shop could not remove with wet sand, How did yours turn out?

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #37
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [5.83]
They did a great job. However, just looked with an LED light, and I can tell the finish isn't as good as area nearby. Just had stage 3 paint correction and cquartz done on whole car, prior to spoiler install. I'll have my detailer see what he can do and then seal that area and the new carbon spoiler. I will say the body shop got it 90% there. I wouldn't have noticed the imperfection at this point if I hadn't gone look for it, with your question me prompting me to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #38
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
They did a great job. However, just looked with an LED light, and I can tell the finish isn't as good as area nearby. Just had stage 3 paint correction and cquartz done on whole car, prior to spoiler install. I'll have my detailer see what he can do and then seal that area and the new carbon spoiler. I will say the body shop got it 90% there. I wouldn't have noticed the imperfection at this point if I hadn't gone look for it, with your question me prompting me to do so.
Sorry dude, mine is visible from certain angles only but is bad but livable, I can always return old spoiler and cover it.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #39
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
Sorry dude, mine is visible from certain angles only but is bad but livable, I can always return old spoiler and cover it.

Nah all good man. I wanted to see for myself. I looked at it when I picked up the car yesterday, in the sun, but didn't notice. Needed to have my guy come back to coat that spot and the spoiler anyways. Shop did say paint was in bad shape after removal and took them longer due to the adhesive, which I already knew would be the case, thanks to you guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #40
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

Where did you have the spoiler installed? Was it at the port or did the dealer or a bodyshop do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #41
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Yours definitely looks like factory defect.

My CF spoiler was also betalink glued (see below pic), it was total PITA to remove.. as other pointed out at port they betalink all CF parts. I spent an easy 1+hrs rubbing that fing glue off to a point where i got blisters.. luckily it all came off.. on one spot i had few scratches in the clear since i attempted to use those plastic razor blades in conjunction with glue remover in hopes of getting off faster, that of course didnt work.. i ended up using polish and light cutting that section a bit and removed nearly all scratches. (Didn't want to go through color sanding but that would have eliminated all of them, i just dont have expertise to go that far into detailing ). Luckily OEM pro spoiler covered it all.

I really want to remove my CF splitters but worried about paint damage in the process.. i wish there was a more effective product to remove betalink residue without damaging the clear coat!

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 07:45 AM   #42
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:
Hmm, now that has me thinking maybe the same thing. I just posted in a current thread about damage underneath the m performance LOW PROFILE carbon fiber I just removed to install the PRO version. MAYBE 2 pieces of carbon fiber like that will look good?? When I pick my car up from dealer I’m keeping the original spoiler so will dry fit and see what it looks like. Did you or anyone else here end up doing that?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 10:46 PM   #43
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Quote:
Hmm, now that has me thinking maybe the same thing. I just posted in a current thread about damage underneath the m performance LOW PROFILE carbon fiber I just removed to install the PRO version. MAYBE 2 pieces of carbon fiber like that will look good?? When I pick my car up from dealer I’m keeping the original spoiler so will dry fit and see what it looks like. Did you or anyone else here end up doing that?
Sure if you like to shop at autozone for your hood vents and bullet hole stickers….
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #44
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Sure if you like to shop at autozone for your hood vents and bullet hole stickers….
Don’t forget the Monster Energy Drink seat covers and matching steering wheel wrap!. Actually I think I could “get away with it” but definitely a lot cleaner without. I did clean it up about 1/2 way there myself by hand after this pic (in direct sunlight)and sent pics to guy who does paint correction and ceramic coating. He said he can get it out no problem so we’ll see. Or I might end up wrapping satin black whole car as I’ve been contemplating anyway
Attached Images

Appreciate 0