BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Will the new M3 with AWD - Move you from the M5?

05-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #45
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
the m5/m6 appeals to a different "class" if you will.

so a majority of people driving the higher tiered M's wouldn't be seen in a "3 series"

hardly any m5/m6 owner is going to say "this new m3 is lighter and faster than my m5, i want it"
Interesting. That is exactly what I was saying to myself. I guess I must not worry about what other people think.
I think there are certain people who appreciate the extra luxury and "presence" of the M5/M6... some find it mandatory for their ego or what they feel people expect of them. Everyone has different goals though and there is a reason most people get the M5/M6 and it's not bc they want a tossable or lightweight (relatively speaking) car.

I got out of my M6 GC recently ... loved it, but time to move on. Waiting to see where I'll be moving next year before I make my next choice but looking really hard at the M5C. I'm also waiting to see what the X5M and M3 have to offer. My thought is: if I live fairly close to a decent track (road course), I'll lean towards the M3. If I'm not near a track I'll have to decide between the other two beasts. You do get a lot of goodies moving from an M3 into an M5 but you also gain a lot of size (can be good and bad) and weight (always bad). F90 is a heck of a car tho so I'm really going to need to drive them both back to back to make my own mind up.

Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      05-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #46
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I think there are certain people who appreciate the extra luxury and "presence" of the M5/M6... some find it mandatory for their ego or what they feel people expect of them. Everyone has different goals though and there is a reason most people get the M5/M6 and it's not bc they want a tossable or lightweight (relatively speaking) car.

I got out of my M6 GC recently ... loved it, but time to move on. Waiting to see where I'll be moving next year before I make my next choice but looking really hard at the M5C. I'm also waiting to see what the X5M and M3 have to offer. My thought is: if I live fairly close to a decent track (road course), I'll lean towards the M3. If I'm not near a track I'll have to decide between the other two beasts. You do get a lot of goodies moving from an M3 into an M5 but you also gain a lot of size (can be good and bad) and weight (always bad). F90 is a heck of a car tho so I'm really going to need to drive them both back to back to make my own mind up.
I love my M5C to be clear. Best all rounder daily out there in my opinion. That said - I am looking at the possibility of down sizing. 520ish HP and AWD - with four doors and a smaller foot print is intriguing to me. My lease will be out about 1 year after they come out - so the timing is perfect (maybe even for a competition). I appreciate everyone's views - but the implied elitism by some causes me to want to post lol. It's important to note that there is always a more expensive and faster car - and there is always a wealthier person. SO as cool as someone thinks they are - there is someone with 10x what they have and is quiet - and modest - about it.

I say: Just enjoy your ride. Whatever that is to you. And appreciate cars in general (that is the definition of a car enthusiast to me). I recognize this is also my opinion - and people can take it or leave it.
Appreciate 6
      05-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #47
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:

so a majority of people driving the higher tiered M's wouldn't be seen in a "3 series"

hardly any m5/m6 owner is going to say "this new m3 is lighter and faster than my m5, i want it"
Interesting. That is exactly what I was saying to myself. I guess I must not worry about what other people think.
Honestly don't know if the M3 is going to be faster. It may not be light enough to compensate in the power-weight ratio.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #48
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Honestly don't know if the M3 is going to be faster. It may not be light enough to compensate in the power-weight ratio.
I would say no - but the AWD top power M3 will run a low-low mid 11 which is stout enough for me as a daily. It will be competitive - but BMW will not allow it to outperform its bigger brother...
Appreciate 2
Neptune71432.50
Miko M6651.50
      05-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #49
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
I would say no - but the AWD top power M3 will run a low-low mid 11 which is stout enough for me as a daily. It will be competitive - but BMW will not allow it to outperform its bigger brother...
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #50
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWcoupe View Post
It's not going to have massaging seats and soft close doors / upgraded sound system. A no for me.
And you drive an M4?
Old and new
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #51
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Quote:
I am sure it will run low 11' but I can't wait modify it and tune it and take it to a track.
Will keep you guys in loop
vtknight966.50
      05-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #52
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDDeutschland View Post
I admit the new M3 may be more fun to drive, but no way am I giving up my M5C to get one. If I had the cash to get an extra M car I think I would go with the M2C. That car just looks fun to drive.
I'm looking to get something and honestly, I'm between M2C and M5C.. need to drive both but getting an M2C locally is impossible
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #53
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

I love my M5C to be clear. Best all rounder daily out there in my opinion. That said - I am looking at the possibility of down sizing. 520ish HP and AWD - with four doors and a smaller foot print is intriguing to me. My lease will be out about 1 year after they come out - so the timing is perfect (maybe even for a competition). I appreciate everyone's views - but the implied elitism by some causes me to want to post lol. It's important to note that there is always a more expensive and faster car - and there is always a wealthier person. SO as cool as someone thinks they are - there is someone with 10x what they have and is quiet - and modest - about it.

I say: Just enjoy your ride. Whatever that is to you. And appreciate cars in general (that is the definition of a car enthusiast to me). I recognize this is also my opinion - and people can take it or leave it.
I loved my M6GC comp for everything but the track ... the M3 is much more fun on the track and even flicking it around the on the street (cautiously, obv), but the M6 has much more "wow" factor between the sound and the raw acceleration as well as interior, sound system etc... M3 is just more fun to drive tho. At the end of the day I think we can all agree there is no perfect car and we should sample as many as possible!

Seems like you have a good perspective on the whole thing. Hope you make the right choice and maybe you'd do well getting an M3 and reserve the idea of swapping back if you miss the M5C too much ... that's kinda my thought right now.

Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      05-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #54
KDDeutschland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
Quote:
I admit the new M3 may be more fun to drive, but no way am I giving up my M5C to get one. If I had the cash to get an extra M car I think I would go with the M2C. That car just looks fun to drive.
I'm looking to get something and honestly, I'm between M2C and M5C.. need to drive both but getting an M2C locally is impossible
Bro everyone I talk to LOVES the M2C. I've seen several in my area and they are nice looking cars
      05-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #55
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Bro everyone I talk to LOVES the M2C. I've seen several in my area and they are nice looking cars
my mechanic loves it too and that carries a ton of weight.

I love the idea of it, it's not very practical but we have family vehicles (x3, x5).

had an e46 and kinda miss it, this would fill that gap in with something newer/less work to do on it, less harsh ride (it had coil overs).

cheaper by far than M5

down side is ugly looking and sounding exhaust, no rocket launch acceleration

I do like how they look, but on the down side, they look kinda boy racer and I can see why people in subarus and ricers will step to them.

if I could drive one it would help me decide
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #56
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will be interesting to see for sure... I think it has been rather close historically but as speeds increase, the M5 walks away from the M3... and most other things on the road.

The M3 has been very traction limited in the F80 trim so I think it'll easily break into the mid 3s.... low 3s would be impressive but I'm not holding my breath... probably with the roll-out which shaves a tenth or couple off the actual time

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #57
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Very interesting topic and the responses have been gold...ha!

For me, 500 hp won't cut it after daily driving a Hellcat for the last 4 years (42k+ miles). [I know I just put the redneck stamp on my forehead with that comment].

It has been my favorite DD of all time - room for the kids and comfortable hwy cruiser. I sold it to make room for a M5 (on order for ED in Aug). The M5 did make the Hellcat feel like a dinosaur... One test drive and the HC was out!

Have been daily driving my 2017 Viper and can't see anything less powerful cutting it. As far as the track, don't see the M5 or M3 doing it better than my GT350 R. For me, sports and track cars are manuals - I don't care if they are slower.

Daily driving a manual in stop and go traffic has been no bueno at times. I'm confident that the M5 will be in the garage for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #58
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
Very interesting topic and the responses have been gold...ha!

For me, 500 hp won't cut it after daily driving a Hellcat for the last 4 years (42k+ miles). [I know I just put the redneck stamp on my forehead with that comment].

It has been my favorite DD of all time - room for the kids and comfortable hwy cruiser. I sold it to make room for a M5 (on order for ED in Aug). The M5 did make the Hellcat feel like a dinosaur... One test drive and the HC was out!

Have been daily driving my 2017 Viper and can't see anything less powerful cutting it. As far as the track, don't see the M5 or M3 doing it better than my GT350 R. For me, sports and track cars are manuals - I don't care if they are slower.

Daily driving a manual in stop and go traffic has been no bueno at times. I'm confident that the M5 will be in the garage for a long time.
The M5 is going to be the superior performing car to the new M3 - no question. That said - the new M3 with 525 HP will likely be a low 11 second car in the 1/4 - around 11.1-11.3 is my guess - which is solid enough if you take into consideration usable power with the AWD. The new M3 will run that ET any time/anywhere probably at 123-125 MPH depending on DA. And for the savings in price - and some additional handling capability due to less weight- it makes it an interesting proposition.

I am watching it closely - which is why I made this thread lol.

You will love the M5 - and to my point about usable power - my car was tested against a Demon and it beat the Demon in a non-prepped street, straight line passes - three times in row (two shown in the video) and tied it in a roll and lost by a car (in the video you only see the loss). I know the owner of the Demon - and he ran a 9.9 with the car (my best was a 10.93 with the crappy Pirelli's - it will run a 10.8x once I get my Michelins on) - we of course all knew the Demon is ultimately quicker and faster with 840 HP/770 lb ft (it was tested on pump here - 808/717 tune) - but the Mopars need perfect conditions and must be at the track; including track prep, a tire and heating those tires to be able to perform. The AWD F90 does not. Congratulations on the buy - you will love it!

Appreciate 3
onfireX53617.50
M 4EVER191.00
      05-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #59
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I've seen that video...along with countless others and frankly surprised that they both preferred the Demon???
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #60
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
I've seen that video...along with countless others and frankly surprised that they both preferred the Demon???
It’s all subjective - and it makes videos with lots of comments...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #61
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

I could never sit inside a car that looks so cheap inside.
M 4EVER191.00
      05-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #62
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
If you mean the Demon - the interior isn't half bad. I actually enjoyed that car - there is something special about it - and not just the extra HP.
Appreciate 1
M 4EVER191.00
      05-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #63
M 4EVER
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240/M5/X3

Quote:
Quote:
If you mean the Demon - the interior isn't half bad. I actually enjoyed that car - there is something special about it - and not just the extra HP.
Demon dose look a little better but the rest is total dog ....
Same with ford and Chevy.
Ones you drive a nice luxury car everything else looks bad. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #64
M 4EVER
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240/M5/X3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure it will run low 11' but I can't wait modify it and tune it and take it to a track.
@Miko M
Hey Miko,
Are you gone mode your similar to your M5?
You were one off the first guys that mode so much at ones and I absolutely loved your build
Appreciate 1
Miko M6651.50
      05-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #65
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4EVER View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Miko M
Hey Miko,
Are you gone mode your similar to your M5?
You were one off the first guys that mode so much at ones and I absolutely loved your build
Thank you for kind words brother!!!

I am planning to keep it for track only, which means it will be modified extreme.
Like to bring it to 650-700HP
Planning to get RWD and MT

One thing I don't like and I hope it doesn't stay like this rendering picture
That grill is just giant and ugly
Attached Images

M 4EVER191.00
      05-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #66
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Thank you for kind words brother!!!

I am planning to keep it for track only, which means it will be modified extreme.
Like to bring it to 650-700HP
Planning to get RWD and MT

One thing I don't like and I hope it doesn't stay like this rendering picture
That grill is just giant and ugly
That grill just made me taste a tad bit of bile.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
Miko M6651.50
M 4EVER191.00