F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is Comfort Access less secure ?
GetBMWParts

11-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #45
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Like most on here I had always thought it to be an utter pointless waste of time.

But my new Merc has it and I actually quite like it! Very convenient to open/close the powered boot with a kick as well as open/close the doors with a simple touch, works really well.

But here's the useful bit. When it's parked up outside your house and the most vulnerable, you can DISABLE comfort access by double pressing the lock button on the fob. The indicators flash 4 times to show its disabled. Brilliant feature on the Merc.

Of course some will say why bother having it if you are going to disable it, but it's useful for any other time you are out and about with your car. It's only really at home where the key could be near the car that you'd want to disable it.
This ^ , our merc does it too. Can’t believe BMW cant do the same.

We have it on both cars, but didnt spec it as both were pre reg cars. Probably wouldn’t spec it if I had to pay for it, but it wouldn’t put me off buying one, but depends on where you live I guess in terms of risk.
      11-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #46
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
If you can't avoid getting a car with CA, just buy a Faraday pouch to keep the key in. £10 on Amazon. Signal can't be amplified. Simples
March 2018 build onwards, CA keys go into sleep mode when left still so can't be relayed. BMW also offer to supply these safe keys to owners of older CA cars at a reduced price. There was a thread about it on here.
Hadn't appreciated that, thanks
Mind you, it's about time they sorted it out
      11-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #47
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Have a squint at this post.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1542233

Cheers

Q
      08-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #48
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Comfort Access and Easy Theft

Seems that comfort access and radio keys make stealing our cars comparative child's play. The newer cars have a key that deactivates after some time, does anyone know if that includes our F8x cars or do the keys always broadcast?

Article is here:
https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-the...rs-2019/n19875

There is a glimmer of hope as the spokesperson indicated we can get an upgrade to the motion sensing key/system which drastically reduces it's attack surface:
"He added that owners of many older BMW models can pay to have the motion sensor technology retrofitted; the price of this differs between models."
Appreciate 1
Hrmm55.50
      08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #49
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I live in central Texas. As long as there are Ford trucks around I'm not worried. Nothing gets stolen more frequently than those down here.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #50
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I’ve got insurance. Not worried
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #51
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Motion sensor on the key I presume. Anyway, a faraday cafe would help.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #52
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I put my key in a faraday bag when the car is parked at home just as extra protection (my wife's car is in the driveway). Even without that it isn't an issue unless the thief first breaks into my garage. That would set off the house alarm tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Seems that comfort access and radio keys make stealing our cars comparative child's play. The newer cars have a key that deactivates after some time, does anyone know if that includes our F8x cars or do the keys always broadcast?

Article is here:

There is a glimmer of hope as the spokesperson indicated we can get an upgrade to the motion sensing key/system which drastically reduces it's attack surface:
"He added that owners of many older BMW models can pay to have the motion sensor technology retrofitted; the price of this differs between models."
This is hoopla for nothing. Comfort Access has been an option on BMW's for a long time. Comparatively BMW's aren't stolen very much. Vandalized perhaps, but completely stolen!? Naw!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #54
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:

Article is here:

This is hoopla for nothing. Comfort Access has been an option on BMW's for a long time. Comparatively BMW's aren't stolen very much. Vandalized perhaps, but completely stolen!? Naw!
Isn't that a bit like saying "My PC has never had a virus so it never will!"?

If the car's are now discovered to be vulnerable to today's hackers and there's something we can do to reduce that vulnerability that's a good thing surely?

Relying on insurance means everyone's premium goes up and these cars become more expensive/difficult to insure because of some weak ass Tech that was designed years ago.

I'm definitely grabbing a blocking bag for my key, cheap and effective!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Article is here:

Isn't that a bit like saying "My PC has never had a virus so it never will!"?

If the car's are now discovered to be vulnerable to today's hackers and there's something we can do to reduce that vulnerability that's a good thing surely?

Relying on insurance means everyone's premium goes up and these cars become more expensive/difficult to insure because of some weak ass Tech that was designed years ago.

I'm definitely grabbing a blocking bag for my key, cheap and effective!
No, it's more like saying that you're worrying about something that could happen, but is unlikely under most circumstances.....

....like a Mac catching a virus. A BMW is like the Mac. If there was a market for it, the issue would have been exploited long ago, but there isn't. I would be more worried about crashed BMW's raising premiums than theft raising premiums.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with purchasing a bag.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #56
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
No, it's more like saying that you're worrying about something that could happen, but is unlikely under most circumstances.....

....like a Mac catching a virus. A BMW is like the Mac. If there was a market for it, the issue would have been exploited long ago, but there isn't. I would be more worried about crashed BMW's raising premiums than theft raising premiums.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with purchasing a bag.
This. 99% of this issue is resolved by where and when you park.

Unless you're in some sketchy areas, this shouldn't be a problem. Stack insurance on top of that and I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.
      08-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #57
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Haha....I assume you live in the UK.

Top 10 most stolen cars of 2019;
Attached Images

Last edited by sensible; 08-21-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Quote:
Haha....I assume you live in the UK.

Top 10 most stolen cars of 2019;
I live in the U.S., I am a former California Highway Patrolman (...I am now a Sheriff's Deputy for a large California department), have worked auto theft teams with my prior department, among other things. The most stolen cars, BY FAR, are Honda Civics/Accords, Toyota Camry's/Corolla's, Chevy Silverado's, Dodge Chargers, etc. You are crazy if you believe the modern 3 Series is the most stolen vehicle. BMW's rarely ever even make the Top 10 list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...es-in-the-u-s/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfl...n-america/amp/

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1868237001

....and I can go on, and on....but I don't need a link to tell me that.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #59
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I live in the U.S., I am a former California Highway Patrolman (...I am now a Sheriff's Deputy for a large California department), have worked auto theft teams with my prior department, among other things. The most stolen cars, BY FAR, are Honda Civics/Accords, Toyota Camry's/Corolla's, Chevy Silverado's, Dodge Chargers, etc. You are crazy if you believe the modern 3 Series is the most stolen vehicle. BMW's rarely ever even make the Top 10 list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...es-in-the-u-s/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfl...n-america/amp/

Things are different here than in the US.

30 years as a West Midlands, UK Police Officer (now retired)
Last 4 years working as a civilian in West Mercia Police, UK.

Of the 20 cars in your list as the most stolen I only recognise one as a car that is common in the UK.

Facts are facts.....BMW's here they are one of the most stolen cars in the UK. Not sure what the most stolen car is in the US, Somalia, Zimbabwe, or any other part of the world, but I do know the UK.

Last edited by sensible; 08-21-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I live in the U.S.

We are on the UK section of the forum...

Some insurance companies over here won't insure certain BMW models unless a tracker is fitted, as the risk of theft is so high.

Keyless car theft seems to be in the news every few weeks over here, BMW is up there getting most of the flack.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #61
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by simnew View Post
Just my view, but one of the most useless features of all time. And yes because of the way it works, it does make the car more vulnerable than without keyless access. Imagine yourself at the supermarket - do you really carry everything to the car or do you just wheel up your trolley and put the stuff in the boot, image you are loading something from the house, do you not think ?>. hmm I better open the car before hand then carry the stuff over to the car. Comfort access only unlocks the door, it doesn't actually open the doors !!
But it does open the boot if you wiggle your toes. I for one usually put things in the boot. QED
      08-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #62
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
This is how easy it is with comfort access.

And to those that say they can break into your house and take the keys! Yes but that is breaking and entering, a completely different risk strategy to walking into someone's front yard and driving away unnoticed.

I don't deny that it is a thing but tbh I have only seen a few videos which appear in all CA threads.
      08-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #63
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
I don't deny that it is a thing but tbh I have only seen a few videos which appear in all CA threads.
Lots of them happening. Most are not on video.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #64
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

US population size is dramatically larger than most other countries and the auto market is different to UK, so guessing this comparison of most stolen cars is difficult to have.

I'd wager that the US likely has as the same quantity of BMW's stolen as the UK (maybe more) but that brand sits way down the list because so many more cars are stolen in total and of that list there are so many other brands with larger totals being stolen. Comparing any crime statistics needs some form of normalisation.

I'm also not saying it's likely if garaged and in a nice area, well lit, good neighbours etc but if a little $5 bag can help prevent it, maybe we should all do it? (Get BMW to print an ///M on it and charge $50 we'd all be queuing up ).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:14 AM   #65
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
I'm also not saying it's likely if garaged and in a nice area, well lit, good neighbours etc but if a little $5 bag can help prevent it, maybe we should all do it? (Get BMW to print an ///M on it and charge $50 we'd all be queuing up ).
We live in the UK.... at least $75 please!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:02 AM   #66
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

I got a quote from my dealer (Sandal Wakefield) last week for an updated key that goes to sleep after a while. £230 for 1 new key.
Appreciate 0