BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 v M2c (seriously)

07-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #23
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

I would definitely recommend the M5 in your situation. That being said, if you’re unwilling to budge on European delivery, just ignore this next paragraph:

I am probably in the minority here, but I don’t think European delivery is all that special. After having been to the Welt and seeing the process, I think it’s a cool option but not worth it (my personal opinion). Also, from having driven on the Autobahn for the last month and a half, with how many sections have speed limits/construction/traffic, it’s cool to drive at speeds that would send you to jail in the US every now and then, but it isn’t something I’d factor into my buying decision (especially if I had a dedicated track car already).

Also, if you’ve never driven the Ring, I’d highly advise against tracking your new (unfamiliar) M car there (an unfamiliar track) unless you just plan on driving as if it were a normal road and not at speeds which may result quickly in a crash (that very well may not even be your fault because of the sheer amount of inexperienced drivers out there during public sessions).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #24
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
[QUOTE=JakerStyle;25022263]

I am probably in the minority here, but I don’t think European delivery is all that special. After having been to the Welt and seeing the process, I think it’s a cool option but not worth it (my personal opinion). Also, from having driven on the Autobahn for the last month and a half, with how many sections have speed limits/construction/traffic, it’s cool to drive at speeds that would send you to jail in the US every now and then, but it isn’t something I’d factor into my buying decision (especially if I had a dedicated track car already).

Sorry, but European Delivery is worth if only for the 7% discount on the base price of the car. It pretty much paid for my trip to Germany, so a free vacation...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #25
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
Sorry, but European Delivery is worth if only for the 7% discount on the base price of the car. It pretty much paid for my trip to Germany, so a free vacation...
No apology necessary. More power to you if you think it was worth it. Like I said, I’m in the minority. That being said, there are people on this forum who received 7% or more off the purchase of their vehicle without European delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #26
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I drove the M2 comp on the tract in an auto cross set up. Let me tell you it’s a lot of car for the money and handles so well is awesome. So much easier to control than the M5. But it’s a different beast. On the open road or daily driving give me the M5.

Really too different to compare. But both great in Their own respects.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #27
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post
F90 M5 all the way! Please drive it first and I would recommend not getting a competition model if it will be your daily driver!
Not sure where this view comes from. The Comp version is just fine as a daily driver for many of us. I use mine as a DD and it is fantastic, haven't lost any teeth to road bumps yet and the car feels so much more buttoned up/immediate than the base M5.

My suggestion would be to get an new M5 Competition and you will have the Swiss Army knife of cars that will do both street and track. Oh and put the kids in the trunk. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #28
H33R
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, Land Rover Discovery 5

I have been in the exact position of choosing between these two recently. Last 2 cars E92 M3 and just sold F80 M3.
My kids are a bit older now and so I couldn't decide between the M2 and M5. Having driven them both and for all round usefulness the M5 won for me.

I can have most of the fun i would get in the M2 but with the added luxury and cruising ability.
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      08-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #29
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

[QUOTE=fun2drv;25024070]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post

I did an ED back in 2010 for my E92 M3 - it was an absolutely fantastic trip/vacation, probably one of the best. Discount was 7% then, but it’s been 5% for a few years now. As others said, ED isn’t worth it for the discount (arguably not even at 7%) but I’d highly recommend it for the experience if you turn it into a vacation.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
dalixz25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, Tesla M3P

IMO, go with the M5.

You'd probably get the M2 and wonder why after the fact, especially with the M3 still in the garage.

F90 M5 (Sold)
E46 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #31
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

the 2 and 5 year old will appreciate the space of M5 and so will you.. You can take the whole family comfortably and not worry about anything happening on the car.. Q5 i'm sure has its share of miles and its only going to be repair money pit down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #32
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I'm going to buck the trend in the M5 forum and say get the M2. Seems to me you have a daily driver covered, whether it's your previous M3 or your wife's car.

The M2C is truly a special car in the BMW lineup and many BMW engineers have sung its praises. It's "light" compared to the M5 and will add a much more dynamic drive experience. In addition, it's not without rear seats, so in a pinch, you can fit the kids. But imo it comes down to you already having plenty of daily driver options and just missing a fun canyon or track car.

Honestly, I'm going through the same dilemma between those two cars so I think your post is very relevant. However, I've decided to get the M2CS when it comes out and double down on the fun and special car category. The M2CS production is planned for March with delivers happening in August, so it fits your timeline.
      08-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #33
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I'm going to buck the trend in the M5 forum and say get the M2. Seems to me you have a daily driver covered, whether it's your previous M3 or your wife's car.

The M2C is truly a special car in the BMW lineup and many BMW engineers have sung its praises. It's "light" compared to the M5 and will add a much more dynamic drive experience. In addition, it's not without rear seats, so in a pinch, you can fit the kids. But imo it comes down to you already having plenty of daily driver options and just missing a fun canyon or track car.

Honestly, I'm going through the same dilemma between those two cars so I think your post is very relevant. However, I've decided to get the M2CS when it comes out and double down on the fun and special car category. The M2CS production is planned for March with delivers happening in August, so it fits your timeline.

Absolutely in agreement with the above.

Saying this as owner of both cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #34
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I would go with the M5 (F90). I went from a 2015 M3 (F80) that I purchased new in July of 2014 to the F90. Like you I keep my cars for a while. My daily driver is a work vehicle (2018 BMW R1200RTP) that I take home. I also have a 2008 Tacoma off-road 4X4 that I purchase new in June of 2008, presently has 80k miles and drive and runs great. I find myself jumping into the Tacoma when I need to go to the store or run errands. It makes getting in the F90 that much more enjoyable. Transitioning from the F80 I thought I would buy a new Porsche 911 S / GTS. The test drive (911) was great in the Porsche but me and the wife of 32 years decided it was not the vehicle for us. Our F80 was a weekend driver and only had 18k miles after 4 years of ownership when we traded it for the F90 back in August of 2018. The F90 is our weekend car / fun car and it has 4.8K miles.

My wife transitioned from a 2002 BMW E39 (525i manual transmission) that we purchased new to a 2012 VW GTI Autobahn. She loves that car but we are looking for a new vehicle. We bough the GTI new in October of 2011 and it has served us well with some mechanical problems around the 40k mile range and the GTI has 75k miles presently.

We are looking at a new M2 Competition along with a BMW X3M40i, I know two different vehicles. The X3M40i is currently in the lead for the wife. The fun factor is there when driving the M2 but to us it is missing some of the options our F80 had.

For me when comparing the M2 Competition to a M5 I would miss the upscale interior, the B&W stereo, acceleration, and most importantly the exhaust note. That was one of my biggest disappointments was the sound of my F80 exhaust. Don’t get me wrong the M2 was a blast to drive but I would go with a M4 over the M2.

Not an M car but the upcoming C8 Corvette is a car I am considering. Take your trip to Germany next year and on the return trip stop by Bowling Green Kentucky and pick up a new C8 and enjoy the road trip back to DC.

Having grown up in Baltimore and leaving Maryland when I joined the USMC in 1984 I can say I do not miss the road back there. I was stationed at Quantico Virginia between 91-96 and made many of road trips back into Baltimore through DC and 295. There was always some type of vehicle that either caught on fire or was torched on the 295-shoulder coming from the 95 northbound out of Virginia.
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      08-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #35
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

This question was very easy for me, I bought both. I now have the best of both worlds.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #36
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
This question was very easy for me, I bought both. I now have the best of both worlds.
Pretty good. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #37
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I would go with the M5 (F90). I went from a 2015 M3 (F80) that I purchased new in July of 2014 to the F90. Like you I keep my cars for a while. My daily driver is a work vehicle (2018 BMW R1200RTP) that I take home. I also have a 2008 Tacoma off-road 4X4 that I purchase new in June of 2008, presently has 80k miles and drive and runs great. I find myself jumping into the Tacoma when I need to go to the store or run errands. It makes getting in the F90 that much more enjoyable. Transitioning from the F80 I thought I would buy a new Porsche 911 S / GTS. The test drive (911) was great in the Porsche but me and the wife of 32 years decided it was not the vehicle for us. Our F80 was a weekend driver and only had 18k miles after 4 years of ownership when we traded it for the F90 back in August of 2018. The F90 is our weekend car / fun car and it has 4.8K miles.

My wife transitioned from a 2002 BMW E39 (525i manual transmission) that we purchased new to a 2012 VW GTI Autobahn. She loves that car but we are looking for a new vehicle. We bough the GTI new in October of 2011 and it has served us well with some mechanical problems around the 40k mile range and the GTI has 75k miles presently.

We are looking at a new M2 Competition along with a BMW X3M40i, I know two different vehicles. The X3M40i is currently in the lead for the wife. The fun factor is there when driving the M2 but to us it is missing some of the options our F80 had.

For me when comparing the M2 Competition to a M5 I would miss the upscale interior, the B&W stereo, acceleration, and most importantly the exhaust note. That was one of my biggest disappointments was the sound of my F80 exhaust. Don't get me wrong the M2 was a blast to drive but I would go with a M4 over the M2.

Not an M car but the upcoming C8 Corvette is a car I am considering. Take your trip to Germany next year and on the return trip stop by Bowling Green Kentucky and pick up a new C8 and enjoy the road trip back to DC.

Having grown up in Baltimore and leaving Maryland when I joined the USMC in 1984 I can say I do not miss the road back there. I was stationed at Quantico Virginia between 91-96 and made many of road trips back into Baltimore through DC and 295. There was always some type of vehicle that either caught on fire or was torched on the 295-shoulder coming from the 95 northbound out of Virginia.
Thanks Egrunt - good perspective and experiential knowledge!
Appreciate 0